Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:41:55 am

Author Topic: VCE Studio Arts Question Thread  (Read 24013 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
VCE Studio Arts Question Thread
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:25:14 am »
VCE STUDIO ARTS Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Studio Arts course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Simone.k

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Studio Arts Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »
Hi there!
I'm having some trouble with writing my Evaluation for my finals, and my teacher is so incompetant that he can't help me. If anyone can help, please message me and I'll send you what I've written.
Thanks!

totheforest

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 11:37:34 am »
Does anyone know the word count for the evaluation statement? Help?

JasmineLikesCows

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:45 pm »
+1
I'm pretty sure the evaluation must be between 750-1000 words.

Brandonluu_145

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »
Does anyone have a sample response to share for the exam question 'Discuss the artist's use of materials, techniques and processes in the production of the artwork' for an acrylic or oil piece
2017:  Accounting 

2018:  English, Methods, Further, Business Management, Studio Arts

blubber

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 09:58:29 pm »
Are we allowed to use instagram artists as our main artist inspiration in studio arts?
Thanks  :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:56 pm »
+4
Are we allowed to use instagram artists as our main artist inspiration in studio arts?
Thanks  :)

Hello!

It's not common to use Instagram artists as a source of inspiration for your work. It is recommended to use an artist or artists who have exhibited at an exhibition before. This way- their work is more 'legit' and 'prestige' as oppose to an Instagram artist. Plus it would be much easier to find information on artists who've previously exhibited and find art critics comments about their work- which could possibly help you with your work.

Hope this helps!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

blubber

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 02:57:30 pm »
When we create our final pieces are we allowed to make 2 artworks of different artforms?
eg. a painting and a film/video
Thanks  :D

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 03:11:56 pm »
+4
When we create our final pieces are we allowed to make 2 artworks of different artforms?
eg. a painting and a film/video
Thanks  :D
hi blubber!
From what I remember, yes you could create two separate artworks of different art forms. A friend of mine sew together tutus for one work then used those tutus in her second work, which was photography. I would still recommend linking them somehow, but for the most part as long as you do 2 it's a pass :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

blubber

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 05:15:44 pm »
How did everyone pick their theme and if you pick a broad topic like 'time' how do you choose what your subject matter/focus will be? ???
thanks  ;)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:22 pm »
+1
How did everyone pick their theme and if you pick a broad topic like 'time' how do you choose what your subject matter/focus will be? ???
thanks  ;)

Hey!

Completely normal to start off with a broad topic. To determine your subject matter, you would have to connect a broad topic with something that resonates to you personally. For example when I did my art major in my HSC (aha not exactly from Victoria but Studio Arts is similar to Visual Arts here in NSW) I started off with the broad topic of culture. Then I used the lost of language as a personal topic and mixed those two together to determine my subject matter.

So basically [BROAD TOPIC] + [PERSONAL TOPIC] = Your subject matter.

Hope this helps in a way!

blubber

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:50 pm »
Hello again!
Thank you to everyone for quick responses and helpful advice  ;D

I have another question, in choosing a theme, would it be wise to choose a theme that excites me (but is quite common in art) or a theme that has more depth, content and quality (and more to write about)?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:53:58 pm »
+2
Hello again!
Thank you to everyone for quick responses and helpful advice  ;D

I have another question, in choosing a theme, would it be wise to choose a theme that excites me (but is quite common in art) or a theme that has more depth, content and quality (and more to write about)?

Much better off to pick a topic that excites you the most and will keep you interested throughout the year! Having a personal connection to the work will help more than doing a work that has more depth- if that makes sense? It's like rambling on in an essay with unnecessary adjectives- sure the attempt to write something with such depth with a ton of adjectives is there but if you are unable to make sense, then the marker would have no idea what you're talking about. If you were to write an essay with concise language and flair on something you're passionate about, then the marker will commend you for your passion. Try and apply this logic to creating an artwork- no point in doing a work about something "deep" but if there's no passion there, then what's the point?

blubber

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 05:43:03 pm »
Hi all,

In producing our final artworks, although they are supposed to be based off of our potential directions, are we allowed to use subject matter different or highly modified from our initial potential directions?
While maintaining other aspects of the potential direction? (e.g. style, materials, techniques, aesthetics, etc.)

natcat

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 05:09:07 pm »
I got my score back for my first folio.
i worked incredibly hard, asked constant feedback from my teachers and finished it in time, so i did not rush it.

However, i ended up with a B+

Is it possible to get a 40 study score still? even if it is in the high thirties. because i dont think i'm that ranked high in the class