Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:17 am

Author Topic: UNSW vs USYD  (Read 6375 times)  Share 

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
UNSW vs USYD
« on: December 26, 2019, 08:38:54 pm »
Hey guys I'm having trouble choosing between
UNSW: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours)/Bachelor of Fine Arts
or
USYD: Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Advanced)

UNSW is further away for me and my parents prefer me to go to USYD but the UNSW degree has the honours program built into it. Whereas I would have to apply for honours at USYD. (also the dreaded trimesters at UNSW look evil)
 I'm having trouble deciding. Suggestions?

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: UNSW vs USYD
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 09:31:11 pm »
+1
Hello!

I'm not from NSW, so I don't know detailed specifics about each Uni's Pros/Cons, but one thing I will say is that the distance traveled every day/week/month etc. can take a toll, and personally I've tried to minimise that in my own decision with Unis' in Victoria.

Good Luck  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:08 pm »
but one thing I will say is that the distance traveled every day/week/month etc. can take a toll
Especially if you have to maintain it for the length of a Bachelor's degree which is usually at least 3 years. Lot of cumulative time wasted when you think about it.

Having done two degrees - one being 10 mins from my house and the other being 90 mins by PT, it doesn't matter how much you love your course, the distance starts to impact after the novelty period. Whether that's arriving late to sessions, not going at all and resorting to online recorded sessions, losing a ton of recreational time.... etc

my parents prefer me to go to USYD
While I can respect this, it's your decision where you go, not theirs. You are an adult.

Is it an absolute necessity that you do Honours? Is it something that you know you need for your future (e.g. entry into a Doctorate?)

Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Advanced)
I'm still scratching my head at this title. Can anybody clarify? There has to be something i'm missing here....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:47:10 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 09:48:48 pm »
I'm still scratching my head at this title. Can anybody clarify? There has to be something i'm missing here....
Some time ago USYD took out the Bachelor of Advanced Science and replaced it with the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced studies. It basically allows you to do 2 majors iirc and take advanced coursework that would've been compulsory to Advanced Science before.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 10:14:21 pm »
Agree with the others that commuting time can become quite significant, but it depends on how much difference it is. 10 mins' difference? I wouldn't mind so much. More than 30 mins' difference? Yeah, I'd start to consider the convenience a bit more then.

Other considerations include:
UNSW: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours)/Bachelor of Fine Arts
What did you want to do with the Fine Arts degree i.e. what sort of major(s)/minor(s) are you hoping to do within it? Is that important to you?

What's your career goal?

What would you be doing Honours for? And why would you be interested in the Honours degree? (I might be able to help here, having done Honours in science last year.)

Also, depending on how much weight you want to put to it, which uni can you see yourself being more comfortable with/ enjoy the social atmosphere of more?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:43:19 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread