Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:34:27 am

Author Topic: Will i lose marks for this?  (Read 4365 times)

xpikachuzz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Will i lose marks for this?
« on: October 05, 2020, 05:29:46 pm »
I want to write something like a story for my writing piece, im wondering will i lose or gain marks?
For example, last year's one wanted you to list information about mars, what if I wrote it in the POV of an astronomer explaining things?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Will i lose marks for this?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:18:24 pm »
+2
I want to write something like a story for my writing piece, im wondering will i lose or gain marks?
For example, last year's one wanted you to list information about mars, what if I wrote it in the POV of an astronomer explaining things?
I don't think you will lose/gain marks specifically for that. However, you still need to address the aims of each writing piece.

There are two different writing pieces but for the one you are referring to (the information one) the things you are judged on are the following:

"how well they organise and present their understanding of the material
how effectively they communicate the information
how clearly they express themselves."

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:21:07 pm »
+1
Hi! My english teacher who assesses and marks the writing tasks for the GAT said that it's best to just write in the form of an info report. Anything other than information in your piece is regarded as not answering the prompt. All the best!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

LachlanBarr8

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 09:20:52 am »
+1

I had a similar approach and wrote a speech/tour guide presentation from the POV of the "Australian
geologist and astrobiologist" that was on the first page of the MARS infographic, i scored 45 so i definitely wouldnt say that it lost me marks, and found that it was a much more fluent and easy approach to adopt! Good luck!
2019: Psychology [44], Religion & Society [48]

2020: Accounting [41], English [48], Further [45], Methods [37]

ATAR: 99.00