Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:02 pm

Author Topic: How much will GAT affect my Raw Scores and eventually ATAR?  (Read 6899 times)

Parthyyy

• Adventurer
  • Hi
  • Respect: 0
How much will GAT affect my Raw Scores and eventually ATAR?
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:55 pm »
Kinda freaking out rn

Completely messed up the Maths and Science Multiple Choice Questions. However, in English writing task I think went well. I am doing good in terms of Sacs for majority of my subjects (bio,English,further,IT), but not too good in methods. If i can do good in my exams, i dont need to worry about my GAT performance today right?

If I did shit in the GAT, how much will it impact my atar this year 😔😔. Thanks :)
Hey guys

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Re: How much will GAT affect my Raw Scores and eventually ATAR?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:55:38 pm »
+3
hey there!

don't stress! remember that the GAT will never ever bring your scores down, you can only benefit from them. Unless you are unable to do your exam at the end of the year, the GAT won't really make a considerable difference for you. You should be fine if you think your sac scores for your other 4 subjects are good. As for methods, even if your sacs arent too great, theres always a chance of redemption in your exam! I did... not so great for my gat last year hahahaha but it really didn't matter much at the end since I really focused on doing well in the exam which carried me. Although things might work slightly differently due to covid this year, I think generally that's the deal with the GAT.

hope this helped!
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:01:54 pm »
+2
To be honest, this year it's really impossible to tell unless VCAA tells us but usually the GAT is used to scale your cohort's sacs and a subject after raw study scores have been made. I'm pretty sure that they look at your school's performance as a whole (but correct me if I'm wrong) and they'll usually only look at it individually if you apply for a derived exam score to replace your 3/4 score. We aren't told too much about the GAT in normal years as it isn't all that important, and this year it's even worse but as long as you did your best in the GAT (which shouldn't be all that important) and do your best in your exams, you'll reach your goals and all will be well :)
All the best!!
Oop beaten by emonerd ahaha
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:05 pm »
+1
To be honest, this year it's really impossible to tell unless VCAA tells us but usually the GAT is used to scale your cohort's sacs and a subject after raw study scores have been made. I'm pretty sure that they look at your school's performance as a whole (but correct me if I'm wrong) and they'll usually only look at it individually if you apply for a derived exam score to replace your 3/4 score. We aren't told too much about the GAT in normal years as it isn't all that important, and this year it's even worse but as long as you did your best in the GAT (which shouldn't be all that important) and do your best in your exams, you'll reach your goals and all will be well :)
All the best!!
Oop beaten by emonerd ahaha

hahahaha yep they use the gat to scale your cohort's sac scores, so even if you did bad, if you go to a school where majority do well your sacs will all be scaled up. (i'm pretty sure that's how it works at least honestly vce is so complicated lol)
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

-Lilac-

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 09:14:38 pm »
+5
Just to add on to this regarding the GAT and DES (which hopefully none of you guys will need!).

When I was in year 12, I had the unfortunate combination of been ill when I sat the GAT and then needing a DES at the end of the year. My GAT scores were abysmal, I guessed most of it, and even where I tried I did badly.

Now, this year is different with everything going on, but despite my GAT scores, my derived exam scores were fine. I can't say how much the GAT impacted them but they definitely reflected my SACs more. I wouldn't worry too much about the GAT at all.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:25:06 pm by -Lilac- »
Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Immunology)
Honours (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)