General Discussion > Accountability and Motivation

So I've become kinda partial to speedcubing

(1/10) > >>

Joseph41:
Hello!

Wasn't really sure where to put this - have settled on this board in more of a motivation sense and less of an accountability one.

I first learnt how to solve a Rubik's cube in about 2010; one of my friends was extremely good at it - and quick! Since then, I've just sort of solved very casually here and there.

Over the last few months I've developed more of an interest in it, and have got my single PB down to 27.97 seconds, which is not at all quick in speedcubing terms (world record is like 3.47 seconds lol), but something I'm proud of.

I'm using beginner techniques at the moment, and to make any real progress, I think I'm going to need to learn a new (to me) method called CFOP, which basically solves the first two layers simultaneously. I'm currently solving it layer by layer, so CFOP could lead to some big time gains - but I think it'll be difficult to learn.

Anyway, I guess the point of this thread is to kinda keep a record of progress or challenges or whatever, and also to see if anybody else happens to be interested in it!

Wahoo!

Sine:
I think I also first solved a Rubik's cube around 2010/2011 and was a bit into it around then for a while (also getting 4x4, 5x5 cubes etc). Although recently haven't really done much, but it is something you don't forget.

CFOP sounds familiar to me but I don't think I ever learnt it properly so I was mainly doing it layer by layer like you. Which kinda puts a limit on your times unless you get super lucky.

Jinju-san:
Hey there!
This thread is such a coincidence for me because I literally started learning how to solve a Rubik’s cube a month ago! I spent about eight hours from morning til night racking my brain watching YouTube videos trying to learn how to solve one. It was so worth it though!

--- Quote from: Joseph41 on January 12, 2021, 05:05:37 pm ---Hello!

Wasn't really sure where to put this - have settled on this board in more of a motivation sense and less of an accountability one.

I first learnt how to solve a Rubik's cube in about 2010; one of my friends was extremely good at it - and quick! Since then, I've just sort of solved very casually here and there.

Over the last few months I've developed more of an interest in it, and have got my single PB down to 27.97 seconds, which is not at all quick in speedcubing terms (world record is like 3.47 seconds lol), but something I'm proud of.

I'm using beginner techniques at the moment, and to make any real progress, I think I'm going to need to learn a new (to me) method called CFOP, which basically solves the first two layers simultaneously. I'm currently solving it layer by layer, so CFOP could lead to some big time gains - but I think it'll be difficult to learn.

Anyway, I guess the point of this thread is to kinda keep a record of progress or challenges or whatever, and also to see if anybody else happens to be interested in it!

Wahoo!

--- End quote ---

It sounds like I need to keep practising! I have only managed to bring my overall time down to 3ish minutes.. :P
This thread sounds awesome and I’m really looking forward to seeing how quickly you develop your speed cubing skills!

Joseph41:

--- Quote from: Sine on January 12, 2021, 05:21:32 pm ---I think I also first solved a Rubik's cube around 2010/2011 and was a bit into it around then for a while (also getting 4x4, 5x5 cubes etc). Although recently haven't really done much, but it is something you don't forget.

CFOP sounds familiar to me but I don't think I ever learnt it properly so I was mainly doing it layer by layer like you. Which kinda puts a limit on your times unless you get super lucky.

--- End quote ---

I have a 2x2 and a 4x4 (and also a megaminx), but can't quite recall how to solve the first two (would just need a quick refresher, but was never quick with either), and have never fully solved the megaminx lol. In fact, here's what I have atm (some details/terminology might be a bit off):

Spoiler* 2x2x2 MoYu LingPo (white)
* 3x3x3 DaYan 5 ZhanChi - my first ever cube (black)
* 3x3x3 MoYu WeiLong V1 (black)
* 3x3x3 MoYu AoLong V2 (black)
* 3x3x3 Gan Ganspuzzle 357 - think it's a III, but not sure (white)
* 3x3x3 MoYu AoLong V2 (stickerless pink)
* 3x3x3 DaYan TengYun - magnetic (stickerless)
* 3x3x3 MoFang JiaoShi RS3M 2020 magnetic (stickerless)
* 3x3x3 QiYi Warrior S (stickerless)
* 3x3x3 MoFang JiaoShi Mini - 45mm (stickerless)
* 3x3x3 GoCube Edge Smart Cube
* 4x4x4 YJ MoYu AoSu (black)
* Megaminx - unknown details (bought overseas)
The community has completely exploded since like ten years ago. Speedcubing is a massive thing now. Do you plan to get into it more at all?

--- Quote from: Jinju-san on January 12, 2021, 06:07:40 pm ---Hey there!
This thread is such a coincidence for me because I literally started learning how to solve a Rubik’s cube a month ago! I spent about eight hours from morning til night racking my brain watching YouTube videos trying to learn how to solve one. It was so worth it though!

It sounds like I need to keep practising! I have only managed to bring my overall time down to 3ish minutes.. :P
This thread sounds awesome and I’m really looking forward to seeing how quickly you develop your speed cubing skills!

--- End quote ---

Awesome! That sounds like great progress to me. What method do you use/how are you solving it? And what type of cube?

Keen to hear your progress also - maybe we can motivate each other! Haha.

Sine:

--- Quote from: Joseph41 on January 12, 2021, 06:33:30 pm ---The community has completely exploded since like ten years ago. Speedcubing is a massive thing now. Do you plan to get into it more at all?

--- End quote ---
Maybe not at the moment but definitely open to getting back into it at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version