Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:32:20 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568055 times)  Share 

phungies

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 29, 2019, 10:22:38 am »
It'd be preferred that you do 3 body paragraphs as it allows for you to have more content in there and attain more marks. It also makes it look like you know your stuff instead of possibly repeating what you're writing. However, it all depends on how you work.

By having 3 paragraphs you're spreading out your information instead of just a large blob of writing.

Hope this provides some insight.

Thank you so much! On a side note, I was wondering if it was okay to intertwine some of the topics? For example, for the criminal investigation process, I am planning on doing a paragraph on the Terrorism (Police Powers) Act 2016 and talk about the powers of the police in regards to terrorism. However, if we were asked a question on young offenders, I would want to utilise the same act but twist the topic sentence around, perhaps say that terrorism is targeted towards younger people and thus they become young offenders... something like that?

jasonbui

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2176 on: October 29, 2019, 08:07:51 pm »
Thank you so much! On a side note, I was wondering if it was okay to intertwine some of the topics? For example, for the criminal investigation process, I am planning on doing a paragraph on the Terrorism (Police Powers) Act 2016 and talk about the powers of the police in regards to terrorism. However, if we were asked a question on young offenders, I would want to utilise the same act but twist the topic sentence around, perhaps say that terrorism is targeted towards younger people and thus they become young offenders... something like that?
I seriously doubt that your statement or point of view of the Terrorism ( police Powers) Act 2016 has any relevance or aim to target your offenders. Perhaps it'd be more suitable for you to focus on arrest and charge, detention and interrogation, rights of suspects or in general police powers if you wish to mould your paragraph from the investigation process to young offenders..

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2177 on: October 30, 2019, 12:28:18 pm »
Hello!

May I ask what the difference is between the 2 questions below? The answers are different for both.

1. The police hold Susan in custody because they believe she may commit a serious crime. What is this an example of?
A. Remand
B. Recidivism
C. Protective custody
D. Preventative detention

2. Joan is charged with a serious home invasion. She is kept in custody because of the fear She may reoffend. What is this an example of?
A. Protective custody
B. Preventative detention
C. Recidivism
D. Remand

Thank you!

shanellegeorge123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2178 on: October 30, 2019, 01:40:47 pm »
Hi! Can anyone explain judicial guidelines to me? I know statutory guidelines are in legislation so judges have to follow it I.e. maximum sentences, but how would you describe judicial? And if you were to make a paragraph discussing judicial guidelines what would you talk about?

Carolineee

• Adventurer
« Reply #2179 on: October 30, 2019, 08:27:07 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been doing practice essay plans and I am soo confused on issues of compliance and non-compliance involving crime? Like what could I write about it? 

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2180 on: October 31, 2019, 07:18:50 am »
+1
Hello!

May I ask what the difference is between the 2 questions below? The answers are different for both.

1. The police hold Susan in custody because they believe she may commit a serious crime. What is this an example of?
A. Remand
B. Recidivism
C. Protective custody
D. Preventative detention

2. Joan is charged with a serious home invasion. She is kept in custody because of the fear She may reoffend. What is this an example of?
A. Protective custody
B. Preventative detention
C. Recidivism
D. Remand

Thank you!

I could be completely wrong but I think with the first question, bc she hasn't actually committed the crime yet, it'd be preventative detention?

And for the second, bc she has committed the crime and bc the police might think she will reoffend, she isn't offered bail, therefore she's in remand?

I hope that's right I'm sorry if it isn't :)

maddy.orchard

• Adventurer
« Reply #2181 on: October 31, 2019, 05:37:23 pm »
Hi! Can anyone explain judicial guidelines to me? I know statutory guidelines are in legislation so judges have to follow it I.e. maximum sentences, but how would you describe judicial? And if you were to make a paragraph discussing judicial guidelines what would you talk about?

Basically, these are court decisions that give guidance to judges in relation to how they should sentence offenders. They help to remove inconsistencies in sentencing procedures by ensuring that similar cases are treated and punished in the same way (otherwise offenders who commit similar crimes would be punished differently - not all judges think the same way). Helps to uphold community expectations because society expects that certain offences will be punished in particular ways.

In terms of what you would talk about,
- mention the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999 (NSW) and its relation to the sentencing process
- discuss the impact in judicial discretion
- judicial guidelines do not apply for all crimes - some statute overrides this (for example, mandatory sentencing laws removes judicial discretion)
- NSW sentencing council looks at the different sentencing decisions made by judges and by focusing on their reasoning they determine one judgement to be the best way to punish a particular offence
- case example: R v Henry 1999 sets the precedent for armed robbery cases - every judge must follow this decision when deciding on armed robbery cases OR provide good reasons why they didn't

Hope this helps!

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2182 on: October 31, 2019, 07:49:06 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been doing practice essay plans and I am soo confused on issues of compliance and non-compliance involving crime? Like what could I write about it?

Remember that compliance is obeying the law whereas non-compliance is not obeying the law. For crime, it's about how successful your controlling idea is in establishing deterrence so that crimes will not be committed in the future. An example of this could be the Children's Court - while the Court itself creates a less intimidating procedure focused on rehabilitation, it is ineffective in addressing issues of compliance and non-compliance as it doesn't really reduce recidivism.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

maddy.orchard

• Adventurer
« Reply #2183 on: November 01, 2019, 11:11:10 am »

The terrorism (police powers) act 2016 allows individuals as young as 14 to be detained without charge for 14 days which denies their civil rights. in terms of young offenders you could say that this goes against the right to protect young offenders in accordance to CROC.
This is a good article you could use to back up that point https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/suspected-teen-extremists-could-be-held-for-two-weeks-without-charge-20170612-gwpg4a.html

maddy.orchard

• Adventurer
« Reply #2184 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:32 am »
Hey, would anyone doing consumer law happen to have any good cases they'd be willing to share? I literally have none and I'm freaking out a bit

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2185 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:58 pm »
Hey, would anyone doing consumer law happen to have any good cases they'd be willing to share? I literally have none and I'm freaking out a bit
Hey,
These were my cases. I did the course back in 2017 so some of the cases may be a little old though.

Credit
Commonwealth Bank v. ASIC (2017): Refund over 65000 customers approximately $10M, after selling unsuitable credit insurance.
Citibank v. ASIC (2017): Refunds $5M in credit card international transaction fees.
Cash Converters v. ASIC (2016): Required to pay over $12M after they ‘failed to assess small amount loans as unsuitable’.
Westpac v. ASIC (2016): Pays $1M after concerns about credit card limit increase practises.

Product Certification
Reckitt Benckiser (Australia) Pty Ltd (Nurofen) v. ACCC (2015): Fined $6M for false/ misleading claims as caplets in Nurofen Specific Pain Products were identical and were more expensive.
Pirovic Enterprises Pty Ltd v. ACCC (2014): Pay $300,000 after misleading/deceptive content by marketing eggs as free range.
Woolworths Limited v. ACCC (2016): Pay over $3M after misleading/deceptive conduct about safety of house brand products.

If you need any other media/legislation I have my consumer study sheets here.

Hope this helps!! Good luck for the exam!!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

shanellegeorge123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2186 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:55 pm »
Hey could anyone help me with what kind of paragraphs I could structure a crime essay about compliance/non compliance around?? Thanks!

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2187 on: November 01, 2019, 11:43:33 pm »
Hi!

Just want to ask if we could talk about war crimes, genocide, Syria or ICC cases in our World Order essays??

Thank you!!

youii

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2188 on: November 02, 2019, 12:22:26 pm »
Hi!

Just want to ask if we could talk about war crimes, genocide, Syria or ICC cases in our World Order essays??

Thank you!!

Yes of course you can

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2189 on: November 02, 2019, 12:45:34 pm »
Yes of course you can
Whoops I meant to say:
 Can talk about those in relation to rules regarding the conduct of hostilities?