Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:36 am

Author Topic: Need help with subject selection to become a veterinarian!  (Read 9647 times)

SC_15

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need help with subject selection to become a veterinarian!
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:34 am »
Hey everyone! I’m currently in year 10 and I need help deciding which subjects to pick next year in order to become a veterinarian. I am currently doing biology units 1/2 and will be doing 3/4 in year 11. My subjects this year are:
English
Literature (Might drop it at the end of this semester and do geography as I’m good at literature but it takes a lot of my time up)
Math methods
Chemistry
11 Bio
Drama
Food tech
Psychology

Any suggestions of what I should do to become a vet?? I have an interest in science as well legal studies as my backup career is to do with the police force. Here’s what I’m thinking of doing:
Biology
Legal studies
Chemistry
English
Methods
Geography??
And that’s 6 subjects.

Thanks!!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Need help with subject selection to become a veterinarian!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:42 am »
+7
I got so excited when I saw this haha - great to see another aspiring vet on AN!

If you are planning to stay in VIC and go to UniMelb (only uni in VIC to offer Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), then I HIGHLY urge you to do Physics!! If you wish to become an accredited vet in 6 years instead of 7, then VCE Physics 3/4 is a prerequisite. Otherwise, you must do a physics bridging course at university. I say it's better to just get it out of the way in VCE.

The other prereqs are Methods and Chemistry, both of which you already have. Biology 3/4 is NOT a prereq. But if you are interested in it, go for it.

So basically, make sure to fulfil the prereqs first, THEN think about other subjects. So in your case:
- Compulsory English subject
- Methods
- Chemistry
- Physics

and 2 other subjects. If you're set on bio 3/4 in year 11, then you'll have space for only one more (unfortunately). Go for whatever subject that interest you. You might want to check out what courses would be needed for your backup career, and whether they have any prerequisites.

I know it might be frustrating to know that the DVM prereqs really limits your options. I felt the same way haha - my original subject selection for VCE had none of the prereqs (I initially chose Lit, Further, Psychology, Music, Dance, Drama) and it physically HURT when I swapped out of Drama and Psych for Methods and Chem.

If you don't want to do physics, you can either go through the general pathway, or go interstate. The other universities with the DVM course in Australia are USyd, UQ, Adelaide, Murdoch, Charles Sturt and James Cook university. AFAIK Melbourne is the only one to have physics as a prereq.

Hope this helps! I'm currently studying animal health science at Melbourne Uni, and will be doing DVM afterwards, so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the course (I'm only in my first year hahah but I'll try my best to answer).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:49:22 am by colline »

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 11:55:07 am »
I got so excited when I saw this haha - great to see another aspiring vet on AN!

If you are planning to stay in VIC and go to UniMelb (only uni in VIC to offer Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), then I HIGHLY urge you to do Physics!! If you wish to become an accredited vet in 6 years instead of 7, then VCE Physics 3/4 is a prerequisite. Otherwise, you must do a physics bridging course at university. I say it's better to just get it out of the way in VCE.

The other prereqs are Methods and Chemistry, both of which you already have. Biology 3/4 is NOT a prereq. But if you are interested in it, go for it.

So basically, make sure to fulfil the prereqs first, THEN think about other subjects. So in your case:
- Compulsory English subject
- Methods
- Chemistry
- Physics

and 2 other subjects. If you're set on bio 3/4 in year 11, then you'll have space for only one more (unfortunately). Go for whatever subject that interest you. You might want to check out what courses would be needed for your backup career, and whether they have any prerequisites.

I know it might be frustrating to know that the DVM prereqs really limits your options. I felt the same way haha - my original subject selection for VCE had none of the prereqs (I initially chose Lit, Further, Psychology, Music, Dance, Drama) and it physically HURT when I swapped out of Drama and Psych for Methods and Chem.

If you don't want to do physics, you can either go through the general pathway, or go interstate. The other universities with the DVM course in Australia are USyd, UQ, Adelaide, Murdoch, Charles Sturt and James Cook university. AFAIK Melbourne is the only one to have physics as a prereq.

Hope this helps! I'm currently studying animal health science at Melbourne Uni, and will be doing DVM afterwards, so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the course (I'm only in my first year hahah but I'll try my best to answer).
Woah! I’m so happy I found you! I HATE PHYSICS, it’s not that I can’t do it I just really don’t enjoy it. I went on their website for bachelor of science and this is what it says... To me, it sounds like they’re saying at least ONE. What do use physics for? What ATAR did you get? Subjects? I thought biology would be compulsory as it’s to do with animals! Do you think we can exchange details and we can chat about this so it’s easier? Thank you so much again!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:19:17 pm »
+6
I HATE PHYSICS, it’s not that I can’t do it I just really don’t enjoy it.
If you really hate physics, you can go for the general pathway which takes an extra year to get accredited.

However, entrance to DVM is SUPER competitive, and having physics will give you an edge over those who don't. So I still highly recommend physics.

(I didn't do VCE physics either, it's one of my biggest regrets).

I went on their website for bachelor of science and this is what it says... To me, it sounds like they’re saying at least ONE. What do use physics for?
That's just the general admission criteria for BSci. If you scroll below to the 'applications intending to progress to DVM' section, it tells you about the 3/4 chem and physics prereqs.

What ATAR did you get? Subjects? I thought biology would be compulsory as it’s to do with animals! Do you think we can exchange details and we can chat about this so it’s easier? Thank you so much again!
I did Literature, Further, Methods, Chem, Biology, Music and Dance (7 subjects haha), and 99.75 ATAR. If I could redo subject selections, I would replace bio with physics.

Btw, I already mentioned that entrance to DVM is super competitive, but if you get an ATAR of 98.50 or above, you get a guaranteed spot (provided you keep a good academic record at uni). Highly recommend aiming for this, because otherwise trying to apply for DVM in university is hell.

You would still need to do bio for the course, it's just that you don't need the foundations of VCE Biology, unlike Chem and Physics, where you need to have done VCE 3/4 in order to do the university-level subjects.

Sure thing, send me a PM ;)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 05:43:22 am »
+5
Woah! I’m so happy I found you! I HATE PHYSICS, it’s not that I can’t do it I just really don’t enjoy it. I went on their website for bachelor of science and this is what it says... To me, it sounds like they’re saying at least ONE. What do use physics for? What ATAR did you get? Subjects? I thought biology would be compulsory as it’s to do with animals! Do you think we can exchange details and we can chat about this so it’s easier? Thank you so much again!

Biology isn't required because there's a bunch of things you learn about biology in high school that are just straight up, not relevant. Who cares about how plants produce energy if you're interested in how this dog's leg has a displaced bone? Why would it matter that this specific bird has this specific genus and came from that relative with genetic drift, if its owner wants to know why it won't eat? Biology is just a massive fucking field, and so it's easier for the university to ignore what you learned in high school, and just teach you what you ACTUALLY need to know. Of course, it's important to have a scientific background, which is why they ask for one of physics OR chem OR bio. In this case, it's the thinking that comes from having studied science, as opposed to what you actually learned.

As for what physics is used for, it helps you understand how joints work, helps you understand how different therapies work (ranging from typical physical therapy, to radiation and image based methods of diagnostics), and most importantly requires you to think differently than biology does. A lot of biology is memory based, being able to trace different pathways, or remembering the make-up of different cells and how they respond to different stimuli, and you'll be learning a lot about the biology of animals in your degree. Physics, however, is a lot more problem-based, and uses different parts of the brain than typical study of biology allows you. Hence, it's important that you've learned those analytical skills for the rest of your career, as well as have a basic understanding of a lot of fields (ranging from electricity, to mechanics, to radiation and light)

On top of all this, don't forget that the course you're looking for isn't JUST for people wanting to become vets. Some people who study this may go on to work at zoos, as scientists, or any other number of fields, and you'll need different skillsets depending on each of those. So, they're not going to just teach you things you'd need to know as a vet.

My thoughts on whether you take physics or not - it doesn't matter if you match the requirements for physics if your ATAR isn't high enough to get into the course. You're more likely to do well in subjects that you enjoy, and this is something that pretty much anyone who has done VCE will tell you (they did better in the subjects they enjoyed because the content absorbs better, they were more motivated to study those subjects, etc.). So, if you hate physics to the point that you don't think you're likely to study it much, or absorb the material as well as you would in another subject, then fuck it - an extra year in learning is honestly nothing compared to your whole life.

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 07:40:51 am »
Biology isn't required because there's a bunch of things you learn about biology in high school that are just straight up, not relevant. Who cares about how plants produce energy if you're interested in how this dog's leg has a displaced bone? Why would it matter that this specific bird has this specific genus and came from that relative with genetic drift, if its owner wants to know why it won't eat? Biology is just a massive fucking field, and so it's easier for the university to ignore what you learned in high school, and just teach you what you ACTUALLY need to know. Of course, it's important to have a scientific background, which is why they ask for one of physics OR chem OR bio. In this case, it's the thinking that comes from having studied science, as opposed to what you actually learned.

As for what physics is used for, it helps you understand how joints work, helps you understand how different therapies work (ranging from typical physical therapy, to radiation and image based methods of diagnostics), and most importantly requires you to think differently than biology does. A lot of biology is memory based, being able to trace different pathways, or remembering the make-up of different cells and how they respond to different stimuli, and you'll be learning a lot about the biology of animals in your degree. Physics, however, is a lot more problem-based, and uses different parts of the brain than typical study of biology allows you. Hence, it's important that you've learned those analytical skills for the rest of your career, as well as have a basic understanding of a lot of fields (ranging from electricity, to mechanics, to radiation and light)

On top of all this, don't forget that the course you're looking for isn't JUST for people wanting to become vets. Some people who study this may go on to work at zoos, as scientists, or any other number of fields, and you'll need different skillsets depending on each of those. So, they're not going to just teach you things you'd need to know as a vet.

My thoughts on whether you take physics or not - it doesn't matter if you match the requirements for physics if your ATAR isn't high enough to get into the course. You're more likely to do well in subjects that you enjoy, and this is something that pretty much anyone who has done VCE will tell you (they did better in the subjects they enjoyed because the content absorbs better, they were more motivated to study those subjects, etc.). So, if you hate physics to the point that you don't think you're likely to study it much, or absorb the material as well as you would in another subject, then fuck it - an extra year in learning is honestly nothing compared to your whole life.
Thank you so much, good to hear a different opinion. I’m now considering not picking physics, will universities like Melbourne and Adelaide still let me in if they say things like “assumed knowledge level 1 physics.” Do you think it’s still worthwhile that I study biology in VCE, which will be accompanied by chemistry?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 08:42:35 am »
+3
Thank you so much, good to hear a different opinion. I’m now considering not picking physics, will universities like Melbourne and Adelaide still let me in if they say things like “assumed knowledge level 1 physics.” Do you think it’s still worthwhile that I study biology in VCE, which will be accompanied by chemistry?

With my minimum amount of research into these, I'd imagine by level 1 physics is assumed knowledge, it needs they expect you understand physics taught in first year uni. Not that you have to take physics subjects, but you'll want to double check that with each uni. Having said that, the easiest way to learn first year uni physics, is to do first year uni physics

Also, looking at the accelerated entry bit, it looks like you don't need VCE physics if you do first year physics. Colline likely knows better being in the course, but just an observation

As for "do I think x is worthwhile" or "would y be better if I pair it with z", I stand by my first piece of advice - do subjects that you enjoy. Subjects sometimes pair well and mean you might understand things slightly better, but at the end of the day, they're two separate subjects that you have to do two separate pieces of study for. This advice is invalidated if you have to do one as a pre-req.

As for is x subject worthwhile? If you need to know it in university, you'll learn it then. If you need to know it for your job, to learn it then. There is no subject truly better than any other subject, and so no truly "worthwhile" subject that you should do. The whole point of year 12 subjects is to get the highest mark possible. If you can understand the subject, you enjoy it and are motivated to do it, and you score better in it than other subjects - then yes, you should do it. Again, regardless of what other subjects you are doing.

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 08:53:35 am »
With my minimum amount of research into these, I'd imagine by level 1 physics is assumed knowledge, it needs they expect you understand physics taught in first year uni. Not that you have to take physics subjects, but you'll want to double check that with each uni. Having said that, the easiest way to learn first year uni physics, is to do first year uni physics

Also, looking at the accelerated entry bit, it looks like you don't need VCE physics if you do first year physics. Colline likely knows better being in the course, but just an observation

As for "do I think x is worthwhile" or "would y be better if I pair it with z", I stand by my first piece of advice - do subjects that you enjoy. Subjects sometimes pair well and mean you might understand things slightly better, but at the end of the day, they're two separate subjects that you have to do two separate pieces of study for. This advice is invalidated if you have to do one as a pre-req.

As for is x subject worthwhile? If you need to know it in university, you'll learn it then. If you need to know it for your job, to learn it then. There is no subject truly better than any other subject, and so no truly "worthwhile" subject that you should do. The whole point of year 12 subjects is to get the highest mark possible. If you can understand the subject, you enjoy it and are motivated to do it, and you score better in it than other subjects - then yes, you should do it. Again, regardless of what other subjects you are doing.
Thanks again. I also read about the accelerated pathway and it sounded like that to me as well. Cheers

Joyn02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 10:46:11 am »
+6
My 2c (I'm studying the same course as Colline but with a FFP guarantee instead of CSP for DVM).

If you feel good about your chances at a mid 90s ATAR with subjects you enjoy, but feel that physics will drag down you ATAR, then don't do physics. You can always fulfil the prereq later in uni.

If you feel you're definitely not going to get the ATAR for DVM, but are confident about getting into BSci, then you might as well do physics in VCE. Then in uni, you won't have to do it and can instead do subjects that you enjoy and will do better in, since when applying for DVM they only look at your uni grades, thus upping your chances.

As colline said, entry into DVM is horribly competitive. While physics isn't necessary, you're basically killing your chances by not doing it. So tl;dr you'll have to do physics sooner or later.

Another suggestion I have (to up your chances at applying for DVM), is to do VET Animal Studies. It's an unscored VET which can add a 10% increment to your ATAR and can count as a sixth subject.

(I suggest taking a look at this page: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/how-to-apply/dvm-faq, it'll probably answer some of your questions).
2018 Software Dev [38]
2019 Chemistry [37] Physics [47] Methods [41] English [45]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

Joyn02

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 11:26:16 am »
+5
By the way here are the entry scores for alternative pathways into DVM. Just letting you know that you have other options.
- La Trobe, Bachelor of Animal and Vet Bioscience (60 ATAR min, only English prereq)
This is like a last resort though, since only like 2-3 people get into DVM from la trobe each year
- UoM Bachelor of Agriculture (70 ATAR min, only English and maths prereq)
Easier to get into DVM from agriculture, though still difficult

My suggestion is, if you feel good about getting an ATAR of 95 for the DVM guarantee (95 FFP, 98.5 CSP), then focus on maximising your VCE scores (i.e. don't do physics). Once you get the guarantee, then as long as you don't majorly fuck up in uni you'll get into DVM no sweat.

If you feel like you'll probably end up somewhere below 95, then do physics. Then in uni, you can do the subjects you're good at, boost your WAM to give yourself a better chance at getting in.
2018 Software Dev [38]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:02 pm »
Thanks @Joyn02 for the response. I don’t think (know) that I’ll get into the high 90’s but I can probably manage the 85 for bachelor science (I saw the lowest they accepted was in the 60’s??). Should I do physics then? Wouldn’t bio, chem and physics make my life HELL? Did you VET Animal Studies? Does it help with the ATAR a lot? Can u still get into DVM if I don’t get over 95? Is WAM how well you do in university? Thanks again

Joyn02

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 01:42:05 pm »
+2
Thanks @Joyn02 for the response. I don’t think (know) that I’ll get into the high 90’s but I can probably manage the 85 for bachelor science (I saw the lowest they accepted was in the 60’s??). Should I do physics then?
If you feel good about getting an 85 but not 95, then I recommend doing VCE physics.
Unless you have exceptionally horrible circumstances or you're indigenous australian, you probably won't get in with a 60 atar though.

Wouldn’t bio, chem and physics make my life HELL?
@Colline will probably give you a good description of what it's like to do bio chem and physics at the same time haha

Did you VET Animal Studies? Does it help with the ATAR a lot?
Yeah i did.  it added like 3 points to my ATAR but the main thing is it gives you practical experience which gives you an advantage over those without when applying. (the way unscored VET subjects work is, they take your lowest score in your top 4 subjects as a 10% increment. My lowest subject in my top 4 was chem so it added an extra 10% of my chem score)

Can u still get into DVM if I don’t get over 95? Is WAM how well you do in university? Thanks again
You can apply for DVM regardless of your ATAR. And they look at your university results when applying, not ATAR.
WAM is your weighted average mark at university. Basically your average mark across all your subjects. You need like an 80 to have competitive place for CSP.
2018 Software Dev [38]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 02:12:50 pm »
If you feel good about getting an 85 but not 95, then I recommend doing VCE physics.
Unless you have exceptionally horrible circumstances or you're indigenous australian, you probably won't get in with a 60 atar though.
@Colline will probably give you a good description of what it's like to do bio chem and physics at the same time haha
Yeah i did.  it added like 3 points to my ATAR but the main thing is it gives you practical experience which gives you an advantage over those without when applying. (the way unscored VET subjects work is, they take your lowest score in your top 4 subjects as a 10% increment. My lowest subject in my top 4 was chem so it added an extra 10% of my chem score)
You can apply for DVM regardless of your ATAR. And they look at your university results when applying, not ATAR.
WAM is your weighted average mark at university. Basically your average mark across all your subjects. You need like an 80 to have competitive place for CSP.
Hey, I might do physics now, however I don’t know if 3 sciences will be too full on... I’m not indigenous Australian for context... I do bio 1/2 now, is it true that that will also add 10% to my lowest? How did you VET? When did it happen during the week? I’ve done some stuff at Zoos Victoria and have a certificate to prove to them... Say I get 90, can I get into DVM? On their website it says guarantee entry 95 or something. So you’re saying, if I do bachelor science and get a good WAM they will most likely take me in to DVM? Thanks for the help

Joyn02

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »
+2
Hey, I might do physics now, however I don’t know if 3 sciences will be too full on...
@Colline is doing bio chem and physics at the same time right now for uni, you can ask her for advice hahah.

I do bio 1/2 now, is it true that that will also add 10% to my lowest?
Idk what you mean? Only 3/4 subjects go towards your ATAR.

How did you VET? When did it happen during the week? I’ve done some stuff at Zoos Victoria and have a certificate to prove to them...
I did it at an external institution. You'll probably have to too (if you plan to do it) bc I'm not aware of any schools offering it. You'll still have to speak to your school about it. It follows the same timetable as schools but you have to go there once a week for like 3.5 hours and there's practical assessments. The downside is the classes are during school time so you'll have to miss one afternoon of class once a week.

Is that volunteering stuff you did? It won't count towards your scores or anything but it can be good for your application in uni.

Say I get 90, can I get into DVM?
If you get below 95, your ATAR won't be considered when applying. So it only depends on how well you do in uni.

On their website it says guarantee entry 95 or something. So you’re saying, if I do bachelor science and get a good WAM they will most likely take me in to DVM? Thanks for the help
95 is guarantee for FFP. If you get above 95 and don't fuck up in uni, you're guaranteed to get in.

If you get below 95, then obviously there's no guarantee.
2018 Software Dev [38]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 03:39:59 pm »
@Colline is doing bio chem and physics at the same time right now for uni, you can ask her for advice hahah.
Idk what you mean? Only 3/4 subjects go towards your ATAR.
I did it at an external institution. You'll probably have to too (if you plan to do it) bc I'm not aware of any schools offering it. You'll still have to speak to your school about it. It follows the same timetable as schools but you have to go there once a week for like 3.5 hours and there's practical assessments. The downside is the classes are during school time so you'll have to miss one afternoon of class once a week.

Is that volunteering stuff you did? It won't count towards your scores or anything but it can be good for your application in uni.
If you get below 95, your ATAR won't be considered when applying. So it only depends on how well you do in uni.
95 is guarantee for FFP. If you get above 95 and don't fuck up in uni, you're guaranteed to get in.

If you get below 95, then obviously there's no guarantee.
Thanks again, I was meaning 3/4 bio and since I’m doing it earlier I heard that it adds more to the atar to my lowest scoring subjects. Today I requested to leave literature and instead begin physics. I’ll see how I go in year 10 physics and that’ll aid me in my decision to see if I should pick VCE physics or not. Is that a good move? My school doesn’t do animal studies. And yeah it was some volunteering stuff and I did stuff like cleaning enclosures and also speaking to the public, so I think it’ll look good on my application. Can I still do DVM if u get 95, I understand it won’t be a guarantee but can I still get in?