Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:51 pm

Author Topic: Is it too much to do all three sciences?  (Read 4647 times)  Share 

TheMan10

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is it too much to do all three sciences?
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:14:26 am »
I’m picking my subjects for VCE and currently I have selected English, Methods, History, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

I am unsure about the sciences though because it might be too time consuming and too much work. I got 90s in science this year.

If I were to do two I’m not sure which two, definitely chemistry. I’m thinking biology because I want to do biomed, med, veterinary science or dental science but my dad has hyped up physics since I started middle school but I basically failed the electricity section of the science exam last year.

So what are your thoughts and advice?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Is it too much to do all three sciences?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:52 am »
+7
I’m picking my subjects for VCE and currently I have selected English, Methods, History, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

I am unsure about the sciences though because it might be too time consuming and too much work. I got 90s in science this year.

If I were to do two I’m not sure which two, definitely chemistry. I’m thinking biology because I want to do biomed, med, veterinary science or dental science but my dad has hyped up physics since I started middle school but I basically failed the electricity section of the science exam last year.

I don't think it would be too much, a lot of people do physics/biology/chemistry. However, some students tend to do 3/4 biology in year 11 since that is a bit of a larger workload. Also, a small section of a science exam before VCE isn't something that should be holding someone back from doing a certain subject that they like imo. Even if you do non-science subjects they would still need a bit of work in order to do well, ultimately choosing subjects that you want to do will give you a reason to study for them and won't be as bad as choosing subjects that you don't like.

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Re: Is it too much to do all three sciences?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 01:21:06 pm »
+1

I’m did physics and am doing chemistry, so I’ll tell you what the individual workloads are like.
Physics: Low-Moderate, there really isn’t that much, the content isn’t dense and everything fits together so nicely.
Chemistry: Moderate-High (low-mid for year 11). For me, a lot of the concepts seem ‘independent’ from one another (even though they really aren’t), so when I’m revising or trying to follow the course, if you miss one little thing you really have to go back to it and absorb it fully (whereas with physics, it’s not too bad since everything merged together nicely).
The actual work that is set isn’t that heavy, it’s more just keeping up with the content as it seems to go a lot faster.
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)