Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:37:26 am

Author Topic: How competitive is it to get into MHS?  (Read 11914 times)  Share 

minimaple

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How competitive is it to get into MHS?
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
Hi everyone :)

My older brother is sitting the MHS exam next year, but he is quite stressed about his chances of getting in.

Just wondering, how competitive is it to get into MHS? for example, out of 100 people who participated in the exam, how many will get in?

Thanks heaps in advance :)

have a good evening !~

Jdog

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +19
Re: How competitive is it to get into MHS?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
tell him to not just try for melb. high but fr private schools which i pesonally think are better,

but for your question, its quite competitive, they accept the top 3% of the people writing it from each school. So if your brother goes to a bad school he would have a better opportunity. I think there are other schools on offer, like Nossal and JOhn monash, which don't seem as prestigious, but you can always go there if you don't get in.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:56:33 pm »
According to wiki, 26% of applicants are successful but no more than 5% from a single school are allowed.

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »
Umm, depends what year he is trying out for.

For year 10, from personal experience.. There was about 350 people taking the exam with a spot of about 30.

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »
"Entry to MHS Year 10 involves a test as well, but not for senior years."

What do they do for seniors?

Cianyx

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
+1
Go to a shit school before taking the exam.

Also, try for other schools as well, MHS isn't that good. The only reason it does well is because it's filled with over-achieving asians.

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »
not as hard as it used to be

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »

Also, try for other schools as well, MHS isn't that good. The only reason it does well is because it's filled with over-achieving asians.

i went to uni high accelerated program and i got in. plus, the 'over-acheiving asians' are going to be the ones employing u in the future, so give them some respect. Lastly, MHS is a great school for everything except physics.

iNerd

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:51:10 pm »

i went to uni high accelerated program and i got in. plus, the 'over-acheiving asians' are going to be the ones employing u in the future, so give them some respect. Lastly, MHS is a great school for everything except physics.
I concur. The Physics faculty is mediocre at best and heavily influenced my [and Shinny's :P ] decision to not undertake Physics at a VCE level.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »

MHS is a great school

Je ne comprends pas :(
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Cianyx

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
Top 3% of your school gets excepted into MHS/MR.

shokstar

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »
Out of about 1500 boys doing the exam, 340 are accepted. Also, only 3% from your school are accepted straight in, thats Macrob/MHS combined. If you rank above the general cut-off from everyone taking the test, but miss out because of the 3% rule, you go into the principal's discretionary category, where they look at your report and achievements, and youre questioned about your motivation. Meaning you can still make it if youre not top 3% of your school.

And MHS is a great school... :)

Caspar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:21 am »
To be honest, I wasn't an incredible student in year 8. I can't remember my scores, but I did not have the straight 100%s in math etc that much of my cohort does. If he worked fairly hard for the exam, he should be able to get in. Also keep in mind that there are 2nd round offers etc. One of my mates got a letter about a month later telling him he had a spot. Quite a few of the private school kids who apply do reject so tell him not to stress out too much about the numbers. @ Hutchoo, did you get accepted?
UMAT tuition (95/96%iles, 100%iles in S1/S3 between us): http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,33968.0.html

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:30 am »
Ha, nope =/.
I did pretty good for no study though (bet my friends with superior in English (analytical/Creative) and vocab).. Really regretting it now :P I SHOULD OF STUIDED/QUIT DOTA!!
I would of gotten accepted at JMSS though- easily.. But I didn't even know it existed until this year.

Cianyx

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:38 pm »
Caspar, that's because you are a hipster