Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:16:36 am

Author Topic: Interview Techniques  (Read 28064 times)  Share 

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Interview Techniques
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »
I don't really know where to post this topic so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

So my interview for JMSS is coming up soon (Less than 48 hours) and I'm just finished preparing my portfolio of achievements that I need to send in but I'm having a few problems in terms of answering interview questions. Like do you answer the questions with 10 sentences or just straight forward and relate it to how you can help/benefit from the school?
And also questions like 'Tell me about yourself'.. I don't really know how to answer that question too well since I don't know where to begin..  Would you guys mind giving your interpretation and how you would answer it?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Interview Techniques
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:11:50 pm »
+1
Well I've never sat an interview of that sort but I would answer with detail. The way I see it, very easy to answer with too little, and you'd be hard pressed to answer too much. Any information about you is good for them. A good interview should be like a conversation imo.
As far as tell me about yourself - whenever I hear that question I think "tell me what you're passionate about." That question leaves you open to answer with anything. You could be like "I am nice. I like ice-cream" and continue to list all of your characteristics, however, if you talk about what you're passionate about, and passionately, then the person you're talking to can't help but to be inspired and drawn to you. It's also good for them because they get to see what truly makes you, you.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jmosh002

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »
+1
If someone asked me, "tell me about yourself," i would personally be brutally honest and tell them my hobbies, passions, sports, etc. I don't necessarily think that you have to relate everything to how you can help/benefit from the school, i think the interviewers are just looking for nice and well-rounded people.
 :P

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »
Well I've never sat an interview of that sort but I would answer with detail. The way I see it, very easy to answer with too little, and you'd be hard pressed to answer too much. Any information about you is good for them. A good interview should be like a conversation imo.
As far as tell me about yourself - whenever I hear that question I think "tell me what you're passionate about." That question leaves you open to answer with anything. You could be like "I am nice. I like ice-cream" and continue to list all of your characteristics, however, if you talk about what you're passionate about, and passionately, then the person you're talking to can't help but to be inspired and drawn to you. It's also good for them because they get to see what truly makes you, you.
Huh.. Didn't think of changing the wording of the question to be more specific. It's given me a different view to this question :D
If someone asked me, "tell me about yourself," i would personally be brutally honest and tell them my hobbies, passions, sports, etc. I don't necessarily think that you have to relate everything to how you can help/benefit from the school, i think the interviewers are just looking for nice and well-rounded people.
 :P
I guess passion goes a long way then ;)
Nevertheless, I guess I'll try to answer to answer the question sticking to one topic so it's not jumping from place to place before moving along to my hobbies and other co-curricular stuff :)

synchronise3

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »
+2
I don't really know where to post this topic so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

So my interview for JMSS is coming up soon (Less than 48 hours) and I'm just finished preparing my portfolio of achievements that I need to send in but I'm having a few problems in terms of answering interview questions. Like do you answer the questions with 10 sentences or just straight forward and relate it to how you can help/benefit from the school?
And also questions like 'Tell me about yourself'.. I don't really know how to answer that question too well since I don't know where to begin..  Would you guys mind giving your interpretation and how you would answer it?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Seeing as it's a science school you might wanna do some quick research on some 'interesting' new science news and perhaps maybe pick out a scientist which inspires you (try not to be superficial here e.g. einstein, go for someone unique) and expect to be asked about your interests relating to science, including career pathways relating to science.

In my opinion, I'd cut to the chase, but try to include everything relevant.

Best advice i can give is be yourself, ask yourself why you really want to go to this school and give it all you got.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:01:06 pm by Butt124 »
Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:55 pm »
Seeing as it's a science school you might wanna do some quick research on some 'interesting' new science news and perhaps maybe pick out a scientist which inspires you (try not to be superficial here e.g. einstein, go for someone unique) and expect to be asked about your interests relating to science, including career pathways relating to science.

In my opinion, I'd cut to the chase, but try to include everything relevant.

Best advice i can give is be yourself, ask yourself why you really want to go to this school and give it all you got.

Good luck!
Would the Higgs Boson count? Or are we talking about stuff like from the 'New Scientist' because if it relates to 'New Scientist' then I've got that part covered since I've been a member for about a year now..
Scientists? I look up to Victor Chang for his hard work and dedication to his work as well as Charles Teo since he is a person who truly cares for other people and no matter what crap people tell him (E.g Media and other surgeons) he just swats them away and continues his fine work.

As for why I want to go to JMSS? I feel that working with young people my age who share the same passion as I do in Science is something that I would greatly appreciate since we all have a common goal. Also being able to get real up close and personal with equipment at Monash.. It would be great experience and something that I may not experience at a young age.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:41 pm »
+1
Yep. Bust that shit out at the interview and you will be fiiiiiii-innnnnnnne.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »
+1
Practice some lines and try to say them as passionate as possible like if they might ask you about your subject selection
"The subject I'm most passionate about is physics. In particular the conflict between the wave and particle model. It really interests me how de Broglie showed that everything, even humans have a wavelength. Interesting fact he has the same birthday as me."
Maybe a bit thick, but it would show your interests in the subject.

Be aware of what to answer to the question "Tell me 3 of your weaknesses".
Nothing is more impressive than being able to admit weaknesses and mistakes while being under pressure.
In year 7 I won a science competition in chemistry, the end of the speach of the judges at the ceremony was "Even under the high pressure of the interview he was able to admit a mistake he made "Oh I missed a pi" " - (We had to write a 15 pages report on our project and I had a formula of some volume stuff (can't remember) they asked me something on the same page as the formula and I said that sentence)

Eddiee

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »
+1
Just show them that you're passionate in science (which you clearly are) but don't overdo it, and don't talk too much :P

I didn't even mention anything related to science besides which fields I enjoyed most, and what I wanted to do in uni. To this very day I still wonder how I got in after that terrible interview.... guess my portfolio saved me :D

Also they might ask you to describe a scenario in which you achieved/did something, what sacrifices you would make by coming to this school and of course the typical "Why do you want to go to JMSS" question

Yep. Bust that shit out at the interview and you will be fiiiiiii-innnnnnnne.

This. Good luck!

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »
+10
If you get asked what your greatest weakness is, if you make an "off the cuff" remark about how you struggle in interviews, it's a great opener

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »
Practice some lines and try to say them as passionate as possible like if they might ask you about your subject selection
"The subject I'm most passionate about is physics. In particular the conflict between the wave and particle model. It really interests me how de Broglie showed that everything, even humans have a wavelength. Interesting fact he has the same birthday as me."
Maybe a bit thick, but it would show your interests in the subject.

Be aware of what to answer to the question "Tell me 3 of your weaknesses".
Nothing is more impressive than being able to admit weaknesses and mistakes while being under pressure.
In year 7 I won a science competition in chemistry, the end of the speach of the judges at the ceremony was "Even under the high pressure of the interview he was able to admit a mistake he made "Oh I missed a pi" " - (We had to write a 15 pages report on our project and I had a formula of some volume stuff (can't remember) they asked me something on the same page as the formula and I said that sentence)
I did a practice run of answering a few questions from Studential and I stuttered too many times or just thought too long on answering the question..
Subject selection is drilled into me (Asian Five) so that'll be a good thing for me to use :D
As for 3 weaknesses? I can admit list a few off the top of my head but that's a good question actually :)

Just show them that you're passionate in science (which you clearly are) but don't overdo it, and don't talk too much :P

I didn't even mention anything related to science besides which fields I enjoyed most, and what I wanted to do in uni. To this very day I still wonder how I got in after that terrible interview.... guess my portfolio saved me :D

Also they might ask you to describe a scenario in which you achieved/did something, what sacrifices you would make by coming to this school and of course the typical "Why do you want to go to JMSS" question
Phew.. luckily AN has helped me become more educated in how to reach my goals and stuff at uni ;)
Though this year is really different to other years since my year there were 1000+ people trying out and it's really competitive..
For the sacrifice question.. would I be able to say I rejected MHS because of financial situation and then lead to answering the question?

If you get asked what your greatest weakness is, if you make an "off the cuff" remark about how you struggle in interviews, it's a great opener
Wow this is good stuff :DD
I guess I can use this and just hope that I don't freak out on the day :S

Eddiee

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »
+1

Phew.. luckily AN has helped me become more educated in how to reach my goals and stuff at uni ;)
Though this year is really different to other years since my year there were 1000+ people trying out and it's really competitive..
For the sacrifice question.. would I be able to say I rejected MHS because of financial situation and then lead to answering the question?

I guess you could, but saying that could backfire on you because they might see you as that student who just wants to get into any select entry school and isn't all that passionate in science (just my opinion though)

They may also ask you what you would miss if you had to leave your current school, stuff like that :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:01:26 pm by Butt124 »

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »
+1
they might ask u
what would u do if u were prime minister for a day

hate that question.
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:11:29 pm »
+1

I guess you could, but saying that could backfire on you because they might see you as that student who just wants to get into any select entry school and isn't all that passionate in science (just my opinion though)

They may also ask you what you would miss if you had to leave your current school, stuff like that :)
Ah.. I might have to reword my answer but I'll definitely keep your thoughts in mind :)
they might ask u
what would u do if u were prime minister for a day

hate that question.
o.O
I don't think they'll chuck this question in a school interview.. but my answer would be to help get more funds for education and infrastructure around Australia (Plus refine the curriculum E.g VCE physics ;)) so we grow as an economy and let students have the opportunity to receive the right education.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:55:25 pm by IndefatigableLover »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »
+6
(Plus refine the curriculum E.g VCE physics ;))

Officially my favourite user now :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:02:03 pm by Butt124 »