Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:54:09 am

Author Topic: Revision for MHS exam,Year 9.  (Read 16719 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Revision for MHS exam,Year 9.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »
I personally found verbal reasoning to be the hardest area of the exam. Two words I actually remember coming up were "jihad" and "segue", the former of which I had no idea what it meant. But yeah, verbal reasoning (and English in general, I was never good at it and am still pretty bad) was the hardest for me.

Good luck! :)

Sach1_K

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 05:52:13 pm »
Reading comprehension and the 2 essays were most difficult for me.

ab10120

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Box Hill High School
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »
Thanks SHANZ0R

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 10:21:54 pm »
Yeah I had the same problem as Shenz0r... I wasn't really a strong English person (still aren't even today) and just getting words onto the bloody page was hard enough ._.
Another was Reading Comprehension and that was due to the time constraints (so much text to read and little questions to answer LOL)

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »
math was the hardest for me those surds were tripping me out LOL oh well
and yeah distance shouldnt be an issue for going to these good schools, i leave my house at 7 and get to school just before 9 LOL 2 hours by train, and im not even the furthest

ab10120

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:23 am »
Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts and after doing the James An College simulation test that I'm a more English oriented student; (Top 12% reading comprehension-36/50, Top 11% for Verbal reasoning-42/60, Top 12% Maths 49/60, Middle 20% :( Numerical reasoning, for Analytical 18/20 and for creative 16/20). My James An teacher recommended me to either change my hand writing or try and write a little larger, however no matter how hard I try I can't change it,(it's frustrating >:( !!!), so I wan't to know if the examiners that correct the writing piece mind small cursive writing and if not how you have changed or made your hand writing bigger!

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:39:01 am »
I doubt they care about handwriting.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:42 pm »
Although you may frustrate the examiner if your handwriting is incredibly messy...there's nothing more annoying than reading something that's almost illegible
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

mars13

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »
i found reading comp time consuming (had to guess like 10-15 :( )

writing is hard due to time (the markers look for better vocab than how much you can write in 15min)
your story should be flowing and make sense but your plot does not have to be the best, as long as you put some big words in you should be fine

maths i found relatively easy. it was straight forward and only a bit of thinking was involved.

GOOD LUCK :) (BTW i'm a melb high student)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »
writing is hard due to time (the markers look for better vocab than how much you can write in 15min)
your story should be flowing and make sense but your plot does not have to be the best, as long as you put some big words in you should be fine

I don't think that's how you approach English. I tried doing that when I was in Year 8, ended up using words that were contextually innappropriate, had all these connotations which I didn't know of, and it just wasn't suitable for writing. Sorry to be harsh, but this is a very naive way about approaching writing.

Written responses are not looking for how expansive your vocabulary is, if you eventually approach VCE English with that mindset you will be f*cked very severely.

Examiners are looking for how well you communicate, how well you can support your argument, and how unique your ideas are. Vocabulary is merely something that embellishes your piece, but it's not the most important thing. If you write something that's logical, well thought out, and easy to follow, then you should expect high marks.

Here's some writing tips that actually help a lot:
Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
Never use a long word where a short one will do.
If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
Never use the passive where you can use the active.
Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
Break any of these rules sooner than say anything barbarous.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

ab10120

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 04:03:16 pm »
Would it be better to write with pen rather than a pacer or really sharp pencil?

ab10120

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 04:06:38 pm »
Re-doing the DEECD practice test for the 3rd time, Hooray! :) They are a tad bit harder than the simulation test we received at James An College.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 05:54:16 pm »
Would it be better to write with pen rather than a pacer or really sharp pencil?
I can't remember if there were any specifications for writing if there were any then stick with those! Bring what they say on the sheet of paper they give you (looking back they say bring 2 black/blue pens and two HB, 2B or 4B pencils) and you should be set.

If they don't specify then I'd go for a pen purely because for a sharp pencil you might break the lead and then have to sharpen again (not enough time) and with a pacer I guess you have a tendency to erase your answer given that it's not in pen (imo)... or the answer might smudge if your hands get sweaty (like mine after drawing graphs for Maths LOL). With a pen you'd cross out answers and continue writing along without giving a damn (don't bring whiteout). Again this depends on your writing style (and if they don't say what you can't write with).

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
Re-doing the DEECD practice test for the 3rd time, Hooray! :) They are a tad bit harder than the simulation test we received at James An College.

Do you go to their weekly classes?

If so, their tests are usually at a pretty good standard, a little harder than the real exam from memory.

ab10120

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:41 am »
Yeah I did James An for the whole 40 week, a bit pointless if ask me because eventually you stop improving anyways it was my parents choice. I only think they were easier because in the James An tests they failed to put the  Sif, Sof, Saf ect. vendiagram questions and there was only a bunch of trig questions throughout the whole course.