Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:03:42 am

Author Topic: Selective Entry Exams  (Read 3114 times)  Share 

JustBeCos0

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Selective Entry Exams
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:57 pm »
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and joined mainly because I really need help. I am currently in year 10 and want to try out for Mac.Rob and some other selective entry schools. The thing is I have been searching for ways to get prepared such as JAC and Hendersons, but they offer nothing for year 11 entry. I am really worried and was wondering if there are other alternatives and if there is anyone who got into Mac.Rob in year 11; can you please outline what I need to study? I have tried edutest practice exams but I am more concerned about the essay and creative writing components of the exam; so I would appreciate some tips and potential topics/prompts...:(( would it be similar to the year 9 exam? Also how can I prepare a good portfolio? Is acceptance based mostly on the exam or the application? Please help, I really want to achieve my goals! Thanks...

JustBeCos0

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Re: Selective Entry Exams
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:21:58 pm »
Guys please help!!! :)
I feel so alone...

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56:45 pm »
Hey JustBeCoz,
I have no clue on the level of difficulty of the exam, but if I were in your shoes I would revise over the Year 10 Maths textbook, and attempt to write as many essays as possible. As for topics, you could give these creative prompts a go:
- "I used to believe..."
- "It was only a few months ago when..."
- "As I turned around..."
- "As I walked passed a beggar..."
- "Taking a deep breath, I walked on the stage..."
- "Jumping up and down with joy, I could hardly contain my excitement..."

Don't feel alone, because there's plenty of people to support you, if you need further assistance :)
2018-2020: UoM Comm

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and joined mainly because I really need help. I am currently in year 10 and want to try out for Mac.Rob and some other selective entry schools. The thing is I have been searching for ways to get prepared such as JAC and Hendersons, but they offer nothing for year 11 entry. I am really worried and was wondering if there are other alternatives and if there is anyone who got into Mac.Rob in year 11; can you please outline what I need to study? I have tried edutest practice exams but I am more concerned about the essay and creative writing components of the exam; so I would appreciate some tips and potential topics/prompts...:(( would it be similar to the year 9 exam? Also how can I prepare a good portfolio? Is acceptance based mostly on the exam or the application? Please help, I really want to achieve my goals! Thanks...

Hey,
Me and Hannibal are doing JMSS entry into year 10 and we are in a similar situation to you guys. We feel the nerves too. I am doing Nossal year 10 entry as well, there is barely any preparation for that though. I can suggest to you (On top of what hannibal said), definitely go into the year 10 maths book and FULLY familiarise yourself. Do chapter reviews and time yourself. For numerical reasoning, search up "Fibonacci Sequence" and/or "magic squares" for help on that! Practise it! Do worded questions in your Maths textbook, it should help. For english (and essays), watch the news and read online news. Learn to scan and do comprehension tests on the internet! Print it or whatever. Time how much you can really in 15 minutes by copying of a pre-written essay. Then, start interpreting your ideas. Read other peoples analytical/creative writing pieces online. A quick google should do. Search for Creative/Analytical writing techniques too! You should do JMSS year 11 entry as well if you like science! Anyways, good luck and all the best!
:D

JustBeCos0

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:34 pm »
Hey JustBeCoz,
I have no clue on the level of difficulty of the exam, but if I were in your shoes I would revise over the Year 10 Maths textbook, and attempt to write as many essays as possible. As for topics, you could give these creative prompts a go:
- "I used to believe..."
- "It was only a few months ago when..."
- "As I turned around..."
- "As I walked passed a beggar..."
- "Taking a deep breath, I walked on the stage..."
- "Jumping up and down with joy, I could hardly contain my excitement..."

Don't feel alone, because there's plenty of people to support you, if you need further assistance :)

Thank you so much!! I will make sure to follow your advice and good luck on your future endeavours :)

JustBeCos0

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
Hey,
Me and Hannibal are doing JMSS entry into year 10 and we are in a similar situation to you guys. We feel the nerves too. I am doing Nossal year 10 entry as well, there is barely any preparation for that though. I can suggest to you (On top of what hannibal said), definitely go into the year 10 maths book and FULLY familiarise yourself. Do chapter reviews and time yourself. For numerical reasoning, search up "Fibonacci Sequence" and/or "magic squares" for help on that! Practise it! Do worded questions in your Maths textbook, it should help. For english (and essays), watch the news and read online news. Learn to scan and do comprehension tests on the internet! Print it or whatever. Time how much you can really in 15 minutes by copying of a pre-written essay. Then, start interpreting your ideas. Read other peoples analytical/creative writing pieces online. A quick google should do. Search for Creative/Analytical writing techniques too! You should do JMSS year 11 entry as well if you like science! Anyways, good luck and all the best!

Thank you so much for the tips and advice, I appreciate it :) I hope you are successful in your JMSS entry :)

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »
Thank you so much for the tips and advice, I appreciate it :) I hope you are successful in your JMSS entry :)
Thanks  ;D
:D