Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 11:05:52 pm

Author Topic: JMSS testing 2015  (Read 160766 times)  Share 

TeslaPhysics

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • U Mad Bro?
  • Respect: 0
  • School: The awesome school secondary college
Re: JMSS testing 2015
« Reply #885 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:48 am »
Does anybody know what books we should get?

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #886 on: December 18, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
+1
.... Didn't you guys have course confirmation and get a book list? You didn't need a lot of books in year 10:

-> methods: you get a textbook
-> year 10 maths: you have 3 textbooks, because your school bag will get heavy, they are given online, in pdf format: you can download them
-> english: a few novels, and a play
-> science: you get ppts :) no textbook (climate change was by far the stupidest unit ever - I cry)
-> issues: ahahah... ppts
-> emerging tech: omg, no textbook - download a few ibooks, etc. throughout the year
-> emerging sciences: you don't need a textbook for any of them // materials are given
-> Learn To: I'd laugh if you guys had a textbook next year :P no textbook

And of course, your exercise books (I felt cool, having the school ones, hehe), and get colouring pencils (for issue studies - you don't need an entire colouring pencil set - just a few colouring pencils of the same colour - different shades, and so forth), and other stationery  :)

Btw, we never needed tracing paper. :P

~Asuna~

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #887 on: December 21, 2015, 01:34:39 am »
.... Didn't you guys have course confirmation and get a book list? You didn't need a lot of books in year 10:

-> methods: you get a textbook
-> year 10 maths: you have 3 textbooks, because your school bag will get heavy, they are given online, in pdf format: you can download them
-> english: a few novels, and a play
-> science: you get ppts :) no textbook (climate change was by far the stupidest unit ever - I cry)
-> issues: ahahah... ppts
-> emerging tech: omg, no textbook - download a few ibooks, etc. throughout the year
-> emerging sciences: you don't need a textbook for any of them // materials are given
-> Learn To: I'd laugh if you guys had a textbook next year :P no textbook

And of course, your exercise books (I felt cool, having the school ones, hehe), and get colouring pencils (for issue studies - you don't need an entire colouring pencil set - just a few colouring pencils of the same colour - different shades, and so forth), and other stationery  :)

Btw, we never needed tracing paper. :P

We did get them, but it was sorta odd not having any textbooks. :P What's ppts?

chelonianlover

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #888 on: December 21, 2015, 06:25:27 pm »
We did get them, but it was sorta odd not having any textbooks. :P What's ppts?

... um.. ppt = powerpoints :)

ahah, year 10 @ jmss, is a lot different to other years. Don't worry. Seriously, the powerpoints cover everything u need. It's not odd, trust me on that one. ;) You guys tend to get a lot more assignments, and it's a lot more... flexible, so to speak. But like, year 11 and year 12 - you get a lot of textbooks.

Our teachers are actually amazing. Some of them are doctors, lecturers at monash (for biomed, etc.). So make sure to ask them for help whenever needed!

Btw, you guys are going into year 10 - unless you're in methods, I'd suggest you all to take a break these holidays with work:

If you're keen:
- read articles/research/etc. on your emerging science electives
- read macbeth, and your novels and stuff
- year 10 maths: umm... cover permutations and combinations if you're a keen bean, I think that'll be on next year as well (NOT formally)

But really, you don't need to do any of that :P (I'm not kidding, read your novels and play and you'll be fine).

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #889 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:08 am »
Seriously guys and gals, JMSS is just another high school so I wouldn't get too hung up about it. There are certain things that JMSS does sightly different to other high schools but then no two high school will be the same. Just look forward to the Orientation Camp and have fun and don't worry too much about it.

~Asuna~

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #890 on: December 22, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
... um.. ppt = powerpoints :)

ahah, year 10 @ jmss, is a lot different to other years. Don't worry. Seriously, the powerpoints cover everything u need. It's not odd, trust me on that one. ;) You guys tend to get a lot more assignments, and it's a lot more... flexible, so to speak. But like, year 11 and year 12 - you get a lot of textbooks.

Our teachers are actually amazing. Some of them are doctors, lecturers at monash (for biomed, etc.). So make sure to ask them for help whenever needed!

Btw, you guys are going into year 10 - unless you're in methods, I'd suggest you all to take a break these holidays with work:

If you're keen:
- read articles/research/etc. on your emerging science electives
- read macbeth, and your novels and stuff
- year 10 maths: umm... cover permutations and combinations if you're a keen bean, I think that'll be on next year as well (NOT formally)

But really, you don't need to do any of that :P (I'm not kidding, read your novels and play and you'll be fine).

Cool, thanks. :DD

Seriously guys and gals, JMSS is just another high school so I wouldn't get too hung up about it. There are certain things that JMSS does sightly different to other high schools but then no two high school will be the same. Just look forward to the Orientation Camp and have fun and don't worry too much about it.

We're not worrying, I have no worries really. Just excited and curious! ((: Thank you anyway, will do.

TeslaPhysics

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • U Mad Bro?
  • School: The awesome school secondary college
« Reply #891 on: December 25, 2015, 07:35:46 am »
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!! ;D ;D ;D