Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:29:03 pm

Author Topic: year 8 MHS study + essay help  (Read 1723 times)  Share 

Dat1guy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2019
year 8 MHS study + essay help
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:19:11 pm »
ok so ive been studying for the MHS exam forsome time now, not heavily studying until only recently, I didnt go to any of those fancy preparation tutors since im busy and it costs a hefty amount, and have been self studying, purchasing some of those books made for these exams and getting some help from my teachers and parents
I think im pretty good to go for mathematics, i learnt all the important year 9 topics like trigs, surds, quadratics, linear, algebra, formula, inequations and e.t.c by participating in the year 9 classes at my class(straight A student atm except for physical and eng, im getting like 89 ish for the PE but i just didnt have time to study for the English as im studying for this and didn't get a top score for my mid years)
verbal reasoning seems reasonable, the questions aren't based on prior knowledge necessarily, so i should be able to do good on that since im a fan of reading and have a decent vocab, read over 2000 books in the last 4 years all from famous or well known authors
numerical doesn't seem too hard either as its just about patterns and absorbing info fast. Trying to improve my speed on it as i get too caught up in minor details and start doubting myself, something you shouldn't do
Reading comp should be easy for me as i am a good reader and good at speed reading but since i love books so much, i accidentally get caught up in the text or passage and completely forget about the exam, really should try to fix this habit before the exams :-[
the thing im kinda worried about is the writing part, my writing speed is decent and i can get a page or two in 15 minutes if im pressured, but the planning does throw me off and sometimes i just can't use the write vocabs, grammar and the plans i intended to use if i start getting a strict time limit. Im currently writing many essays a day to fix this but i would like some help from you guys on this particular one i wrote this morning at 6 just before i went to school. it definitely is one of my worse works as i was half asleep while writing this so please don't hate too much on it, ill try to write one tomorrow too so you guys can correct it for mistakes and maybe improve me even just by a little before saturday thanks :)

PROMPT = the boy twisted the keys, and inside , to his horror, there was........
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Curiosity is a curse' They always say, and they're not wrong. One day, its is what will bring an end to humanity. Ever since the boy decided to open that door, the world around him changed.
He's just your ordinary boy. Tall, intelligent, but foolish, and that's what caused his downfall. He was walking home by himself at a steady pace when he noticed a gold glint amidst the ruins of the demolished Catholic Church. What felt like invisible threads lead him towards it, neither by force nor his will, just human curiosity. The boy always abhorred it, this thing that people always called human nature was something that he neglected so much, that he would even shut down his own thoughts to stop himself following his desires, but this time, that was not the case.
the object turned out to be a key, and an old one at that. It was one of those keys that you had to push with force into the keyhole so it inserts properly. Even the design was an aberration of those he has seen before. It gave of the vibe of something you should never touch. On the base of the keys, the numbers '027' was etched with something with a sharp edge. The boy knows only of one place that this could link to...The door down the alley
All the boys in the neighborhood knew about it. It just stood there, like it never existed. Some people claim that they've heard a strange hissing noise behind it, but the boy never believed them, and swept them aside as rumors.
A few days after he initially found the keys, he decided to find out once and for all what was behind this mysterious door. He brought along a knife in case of an emergency. He traveled down the dark and unoccupied lane, down the road and straight to the alley where the door was located. He didn't feel frightened in the least, but excited. He went down the alley and confronted the door that towered him. He took a deep breathe and inserted the small piece of metal into the small hope that was the bridge from this boring world to the unknown. The door slowly creaked open.
 Inside, was a dark room, something that he was already expecting. He wiped the sweat off his face and started to turn around, when he heard a sound in the corner of the room. He slowly twisted his neck towards the edge of room, hoping that it was all a dream, but these deceitful thoughts weren't of any good.
The creature there stared blankly with his blood red eyes. It pierced straight through the shaking body of the boy. It observed the body carefully, like a tiger ready to pounce. The boy tried to slowly move backwards slowly, but it was futile. The creature finally decided to attack, and leaped at the boy.
The next day, all evidence regarding the existence of the boy was no more. The parents say they never had a boy, all of his possessions were gone, his school didn't have any data regarding him and none of his friends seem to know anything.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry it's a bit sloppy, wrote it in a rush and in 18 mins, a bit over the limits but hoping to improve it, will probably will be able to get 15 mins with pressure
but thank you anyways for reading :)

COLORS

• Forum Regular
  • throw smiles around
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
Re: year 8 MHS study + essay help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »
+1
ok so ive been studying for the MHS exam forsome time now, not heavily studying until only recently, I didnt go to any of those fancy preparation tutors since im busy and it costs a hefty amount, and have been self studying, purchasing some of those books made for these exams and getting some help from my teachers and parents
I think im pretty good to go for mathematics, i learnt all the important year 9 topics like trigs, surds, quadratics, linear, algebra, formula, inequations and e.t.c by participating in the year 9 classes at my class(straight A student atm except for physical and eng, im getting like 89 ish for the PE but i just didnt have time to study for the English as im studying for this and didn't get a top score for my mid years)
verbal reasoning seems reasonable, the questions aren't based on prior knowledge necessarily, so i should be able to do good on that since im a fan of reading and have a decent vocab, read over 2000 books in the last 4 years all from famous or well known authors
numerical doesn't seem too hard either as its just about patterns and absorbing info fast. Trying to improve my speed on it as i get too caught up in minor details and start doubting myself, something you shouldn't do
Reading comp should be easy for me as i am a good reader and good at speed reading but since i love books so much, i accidentally get caught up in the text or passage and completely forget about the exam, really should try to fix this habit before the exams :-[
the thing im kinda worried about is the writing part, my writing speed is decent and i can get a page or two in 15 minutes if im pressured, but the planning does throw me off and sometimes i just can't use the write vocabs, grammar and the plans i intended to use if i start getting a strict time limit. Im currently writing many essays a day to fix this but i would like some help from you guys on this particular one i wrote this morning at 6 just before i went to school. it definitely is one of my worse works as i was half asleep while writing this so please don't hate too much on it, ill try to write one tomorrow too so you guys can correct it for mistakes and maybe improve me even just by a little before saturday thanks :)

PROMPT = the boy twisted the keys, and inside , to his horror, there was........
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Curiosity is a curse' They always say, and they're not wrong. One day, its is what will bring an end to humanity. Ever since the boy decided to open that door, the world around him changed.
He's just your ordinary boy. Tall, intelligent, but foolish, and that's what caused his downfall. He was walking home by himself at a steady pace when he noticed a gold glint amidst the ruins of the demolished Catholic Church. What felt like invisible threads lead him towards it, neither by force nor his will, just human curiosity. The boy always abhorred it, this thing that people always called human nature was something that he neglected so much, that he would even shut down his own thoughts to stop himself following his desires, but this time, that was not the case.
the object turned out to be a key, and an old one at that. It was one of those keys that you had to push with force into the keyhole so it inserts properly. Even the design was an aberration of those he has seen before. It gave of the vibe of something you should never touch. On the base of the keys, the numbers '027' was etched with something with a sharp edge. The boy knows only of one place that this could link to...The door down the alley
All the boys in the neighborhood knew about it. It just stood there, like it never existed. Some people claim that they've heard a strange hissing noise behind it, but the boy never believed them, and swept them aside as rumors.
A few days after he initially found the keys, he decided to find out once and for all what was behind this mysterious door. He brought along a knife in case of an emergency. He traveled down the dark and unoccupied lane, down the road and straight to the alley where the door was located. He didn't feel frightened in the least, but excited. He went down the alley and confronted the door that towered him. He took a deep breathe and inserted the small piece of metal into the small hope that was the bridge from this boring world to the unknown. The door slowly creaked open.
 Inside, was a dark room, something that he was already expecting. He wiped the sweat off his face and started to turn around, when he heard a sound in the corner of the room. He slowly twisted his neck towards the edge of room, hoping that it was all a dream, but these deceitful thoughts weren't of any good.
The creature there stared blankly with his [I think 'its' would be better.] blood red eyes. It pierced straight through the shaking body of the boy. It observed the body carefully, like a tiger ready to pounce. The boy tried to slowly move backwards slowly, but it was futile. The creature finally decided to attack, and leaped at the boy.
The next day, all evidence regarding the existence of the boy was no more. The parents say they never had a boy, all of his possessions were gone, his school didn't have any data regarding him and none of his friends seem [not sure if this is a typing error but shouldn't it be 'seemed'? This makes them sound a bit suspicious too, as if they're hiding something. Maybe add a bit more to it.] to know anything.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry it's a bit sloppy, wrote it in a rush and in 18 mins, a bit over the limits but hoping to improve it, will probably will be able to get 15 mins with pressure
but thank you anyways for reading :)

Yeah. All the vocab just goes poof when I'm writing under pressure. :(

The prompt was "...to his horror...", so shouldn't you explore that aspect a bit more? Maybe describe his face as being twisted with terror or something.

Overall, pretty decent. A monster seems a bit unoriginal though. What else is there that could horrify a boy just by the sight of it? An embodiment of his fears, maybe?

Exams in, like, two dayssssss. Just wondering, how long have you been studying for? :(
glenny (:
nossal soon!! hopefully

Dat1guy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
I've studied for about 2 month. But only started putting effort into it a few weeks ago
Yeah I made some typos in the translation but it's ok on the original thing
I was thinking of a good thing that can produce fear but my mind went blank when I saw the timer on 2 mins
I'll probs meet u in Saturday, what gate and seat?
PS My original idea for behind the door was himself, in a state he never wanted to see but I completely forgot when writing lol

COLORS

• Forum Regular
  • throw smiles around
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:51 pm »
I've studied for about 2 month. But only started putting effort into it a few weeks ago
Yeah I made some typos in the translation but it's ok on the original thing
I was thinking of a good thing that can produce fear but my mind went blank when I saw the timer on 2 mins
I'll probs meet u in Saturday, what gate and seat?
PS My original idea for behind the door was himself, in a state he never wanted to see but I completely forgot when writing lol

Gate 2, seat 2486. :D Wbu?
glenny (:
nossal soon!! hopefully

Dat1guy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:39:27 pm »
Gate 1 seat 605

2486@!??&@$??!
How many people am I contesting against again???

Theta

• Adventurer
  • School: Australian International Academy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »
Gate 1 seat 22

COLORS

• Forum Regular
  • throw smiles around
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
I feel so isolated. Wow.
glenny (:
nossal soon!! hopefully

pixelgraphicsful

• Trendsetter
  • Don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going
  • School: Highvale Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2020
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »
Well, I don't have much to say because you're way better than me.
However, I would like to note that the description of the creature is rather weak.
All the reader knows is that it makes weird hissing noises and has red eyes. :P
I think you understand what I mean about this issue, just a suggestion from me to you. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:56:19 am by pixelgraphicsful »