Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:41:46 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151146 times)  Share 

senara

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 08:29:32 pm »
+1
Hey senara! I did a quick google for this, check out this link and see if it's the right article you're looking for... (Elyse might be able to give you a better idea about where to find it if this isn't it) :)
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=2UkEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA51&ots=IUYMPmDOer&dq=life+magazine+mininson&pg=PA51&redir_esc=y&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Heyy Ssarahj!
Thank you for the link! I saw this one as well but wasn't sure if it was the right one. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:32:14 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »
Hey I read your Article on related texts for After the Bomb. I really like the sound of "The 1959 newlyweds that spent their honeymoon in a fallout shelter – featured in LIFE magazine". I was just wondering where can I view the article? Do you possibly have a link?

Hey! The link above is perfect! But I did miss your original post, sorry for the late reply! Here is a link to some awesome commentary on the honeymoon: http://io9.gizmodo.com/in-1959-a-pair-of-newlyweds-spent-their-honeymoon-in-a-452401167
Also good commentary here: http://www.conelrad.com/atomic_honeymooners.html

And here is an article from the time, which is really  cool! The title of the square is "newly weds survive bomb shelter ideal" http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1959/07/26/page/176/article/newlyweds-survive-bomb-shelter-ordeal

It's such a cool related text! Or even if it isn't used for a related, it's very cool for getting your head around the era.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caitie145

• Trailblazer
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2016, 03:12:14 pm »
Hey!

So for this course my school elective is Module B: ways of thinking and the selected area is Romanticism. Since we are doing British Romaticism i asked my teacher about doing Edgar allen poe as a related text however he is american and she said that it could be good but in the actual hsc they tend to be more conservative and like British related texts..so i was wondering if it would be a really bad idea to do a short story by poe considering he is american as a related text.

Thanks !
Pathways :)
Year 1: 2016
Advanced English: band 5
Extension English: E3
Ancient History: band 4

Year 2: 2017
Legal Studies
PDHPE
General Maths
Senior Science

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:32 pm »
Hey!

So for this course my school elective is Module B: ways of thinking and the selected area is Romanticism. Since we are doing British Romaticism i asked my teacher about doing Edgar allen poe as a related text however he is american and she said that it could be good but in the actual hsc they tend to be more conservative and like British related texts..so i was wondering if it would be a really bad idea to do a short story by poe considering he is american as a related text.

Thanks !

Do you think your teacher is suggesting this based on some kind of rumour about the way markers think? Or do you think she's genuinely speaking in your best interests, based on fact? Rumours about the way that markers perceive different things are rife. I didn't study romanticism, so I'm not speaking from experience. But, if the BOSTES FAQ doesn't mention it, then I tend to think that you're fine to make the decision yourself based on whichever texts you like best. Someone who studies romanticism will be better versed on this than I, but it is definitely my opinion that if British Romanticism is something you're discussing in class, but the module doesn't talk about American Romanticism, then you won't face prejudice from the marker. :)

oliviarebekah

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2016, 08:56:02 pm »
Hey! I am also doing Romanticism at my school, and i have chosen the Scarlet letter as one of my related texts which is American romanticism! my teacher seemed fine with this, i have just put a small section in my introduction detailing the differences between British and American Romanticism.
Just thought the different perspectives from different teachers may be helpful!
-Olivia

Hey!

Thanks !

oliviarebekah

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 09:06:32 pm »
Hey Guys! I am currently looking to work my extension creative writing piece based on Romanticism into my discovery creative writing, just so i only have one to learn, however the way my story is written, in letter form, I am really struggling to do this? Do you guys have any tips? Are you learning the same piece for both or two separate ones?
-Olivia

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 09:47:24 am »
Hey! I am also doing Romanticism at my school, and i have chosen the Scarlet letter as one of my related texts which is American romanticism! my teacher seemed fine with this, i have just put a small section in my introduction detailing the differences between British and American Romanticism.
Just thought the different perspectives from different teachers may be helpful!
-Olivia

Excellent advice! Thanks for chiming in - it's a bit out of my depth! What do you both think about romanticism as a course in total? Do you enjoy it?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:49 am »
Hey Guys! I am currently looking to work my extension creative writing piece based on Romanticism into my discovery creative writing, just so i only have one to learn, however the way my story is written, in letter form, I am really struggling to do this? Do you guys have any tips? Are you learning the same piece for both or two separate ones?
-Olivia

I used the same creative for Extension and AOS - although I did After the Bomb. I did a speech, and added more contextual stuff to the Extension essay, and left that context stuff out for the AOS essay. I also added some more complicated metaphors (only slightly complicated) because I had an increased word limit to do so. Are you considering embedding your letter (AOS piece) into a larger short story for Extension? Or are you looking to just increase the length and complexity of the Extension letter?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2016, 09:59:25 am »
+1
-Olivia

Hey oliviarebekah! Just to add to what Elyse said.... If you are trying to use the same piece ensure that the integrity of both pieces is still really high, in other words make sure that your discovery doesn't become superficial or unclear! Don't try and force it. You could try to use the same setting, letter format and character/s (since you would know a lot about the Romantic context/your characters already) but possibly change the actual plot of your story to suit discovery.
I personally am going to try and work my Discovery piece into my Extension 1 piece by the actual HSC, but I know that I just don't have the time to do it properly by Trials  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »
+1
Hey oliviarebekah! Just to add to what Elyse said.... If you are trying to use the same piece ensure that the integrity of both pieces is still really high, in other words make sure that your discovery doesn't become superficial or unclear! Don't try and force it. You could try to use the same setting, letter format and character/s (since you would know a lot about the Romantic context/your characters already) but possibly change the actual plot of your story to suit discovery.
I personally am going to try and work my Discovery piece into my Extension 1 piece by the actual HSC, but I know that I just don't have the time to do it properly by Trials  :)

Spot on! Making sure that you meet the requirements of the different courses must be the most important thing in your mind when you're adapting creatives! By adding a bunch of contextual stuff for my extension creative, I drowned on the discovery naturally, and then made a few adjustments to the kind of "reflective" part where I was revealing the discoveries in the AOS creative, to make it more true to the ways of thinking in Extension!

kassidyfisher

• Adventurer
  • School: Gosford High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
Hey Fam,
My school marks extremely harsh on extension 1 essays and creatives, and gives very little helpful feedback. Now come trials, my exam is on tuesday, and I have limited resources, as my teachers are all busy.
I am currently doing genre, specifically science fiction.
I got a 20/25 for my essay (but now have different texts due to different ones being prescribed for trials) and an 18/25 for my creative with no feedback.
This equals me being extremely stressed out and I have no Idea how to make any of them better!
Any advice??

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »
Hey Fam,
My school marks extremely harsh on extension 1 essays and creatives, and gives very little helpful feedback. Now come trials, my exam is on tuesday, and I have limited resources, as my teachers are all busy.
I am currently doing genre, specifically science fiction.
I got a 20/25 for my essay (but now have different texts due to different ones being prescribed for trials) and an 18/25 for my creative with no feedback.
This equals me being extremely stressed out and I have no Idea how to make any of them better!
Any advice??

That's super bizarre that you haven't been given any feedback. I'm sure other people in your class feel this way too? With creatives specifically, perhaps you could organise with your peers to swap creatives and give each other feedback? This would be a win/win situation for you and your peers. Have you hunted through the internet for past essays and creatives? You could also make a new science fiction thread here on ATAR Notes, and perhaps other science fiction pals will come out of the shadows to give you a hand!

Do you have any concerns about your creative personally? Are you dissatisfied with the ending, or the setting, or the features of the genre? Or is your grammar that you think is pulling you down? I think you need to be really critical of your own work right now and decide what is letting you down, and then target that.

Happy to offer some advice!

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 06:57:14 pm »
hey,
would having one theorist per paragraph be enough or should i have more?
thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »
+1
hey,
would having one theorist per paragraph be enough or should i have more?
thanks

It entirely depends on your approach to the essay! However, this sounds perfect! Some essays are directed by theorists and philosophers entirely, which would likely require more emphasis. My essay probably included maybe...3? It wasn't a huge emphasis in my essay, although in retrospect I definitely could have improved in that area. So 4 sounds sweet to me!

kassidyfisher

• Adventurer
  • School: Gosford High
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »
Hello!
I just have a quick question :)
I am doing E1 and my elective is Science Fiction. How likely is it that they will prescribe? Just because I am only discussing 2 of the texts, and I was wondering if they have ever prescribed before?
Thanks