Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:09:47 pm

Author Topic: Ways of Thinking: After the Bomb!  (Read 38942 times)  Share 

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
Re: Ways of Thinking: After the Bomb!
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2018, 07:47:21 pm »
Hello,

Was just wondering if someone could give their opinions on what related text would work well with Sylvia Plath's poetry. Or just any existentialist texts?

Thanks

theyam
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:50:49 pm by theyam »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:52 pm »
Hey, everyone!

I have a question about the creative writing section  :D If my creative doesn't explicitly address economic or scientific paradigms but subtly hints them (using skyscrapers as motifs to comment on urbanisation) and whatnot, would it still be okay to fulfil the scopes of the elective?  ???
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2018, 11:58:10 am »
Hello,

Was just wondering if someone could give their opinions on what related text would work well with Sylvia Plath's poetry. Or just any existentialist texts?

Thanks

theyam

Sorry I missed this :(

I used the Kitchen Debate between Khrushev and Nixon, and also Dr Strangelove :) You can download my essay in the note section if that helps you see the connections I made :)

Hey, everyone!

I have a question about the creative writing section  :D If my creative doesn't explicitly address economic or scientific paradigms but subtly hints them (using skyscrapers as motifs to comment on urbanisation) and whatnot, would it still be okay to fulfil the scopes of the elective?  ???
Yes I think so :) You'd only be caught out if the question specified you speak about a scientific or economic paradigm in particular. But I wouldn't go changing your story now for this - because you can never ever guarantee you are 100% prepared for an extension creative unfortunately. Just consider how you could make these ideas more prominent if you needed to :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2018, 03:03:28 pm »
Hey, I have an assessment on Plath and Good Night and Good Luck in less than a week.

I was just wondering how I can structure an essay based on only 2 texts, and if anyone has studied them, what major paradigms link between them?

Also, how can you form notes on the texts that are adaptable to any question??

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:06:05 pm by beeangkah »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:21 pm »
Hi, I've been looking for ATB related texts and have stumbled upon  The Hunt For Red October (film). Would this be a suitable pairing with The Spy Who Came in from the Cold? Is the release date of a text a big issue since this came right at the end of what is considered the Cold War?

Hey, there!

I haven't seen the film myself but in terms of release dates, I don't think it makes such a huge difference if it's right at the end. The elective is called 'After the Bomb' after all so as long as it's not before it and the text has the ways of thinking that complement and contrast well with your prescribed texts, it'll work out! I'll wait to see what the others have to say but that's my stance on it since my related text was also made towards the end in 1986  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

zals

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2018, 03:04:20 pm »
Hey guys :)

I'm a bit stuck with my essay for ATB. I know there are 500 different ways to structure it, but how did you guys do it?
My prescribed texts are waiting for godot, plath's poetry and good night and good luck. For my essay, my original plan was to use godot and plath, and then the handmaid's tale (novel) and the lottery (short story) as related texts. However now that i'm reading back over my essy in preparation for trials, it's a bit of a mess and i'm thinking i should use GNGL, the lottery, plath and maybe the kitchen debate as my related.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas?
Also, if anyone has any notes/ analysis on the kicthen debate that would be much appreciated!! I'm struggling to find anything online

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:19 pm »
Hello guys

Would anyone have any suggestions on what would link well to the following texts I have so far for After the Bomb: The Spy who came in from the Cold, Plath's poetry, The Kitchen Debate.

I'm thinking of Duck and Cover but I'm not sure how to link them to my texts so far, also I don't plan on using Godot for trials, is that risky?

thank guys :)

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2018, 10:01:03 pm »
Hey guys :)

I'm a bit stuck with my essay for ATB. I know there are 500 different ways to structure it, but how did you guys do it?
My prescribed texts are waiting for godot, plath's poetry and good night and good luck. For my essay, my original plan was to use godot and plath, and then the handmaid's tale (novel) and the lottery (short story) as related texts. However now that i'm reading back over my essy in preparation for trials, it's a bit of a mess and i'm thinking i should use GNGL, the lottery, plath and maybe the kitchen debate as my related.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas?
Also, if anyone has any notes/ analysis on the kicthen debate that would be much appreciated!! I'm struggling to find anything online

Hello,

There are a lot of ways to structure an Extension Essay but I think you should definitely try make sure its integrated. You can do 2 texts per paragraph or 3 or 4 its purely up to you and how many concepts you think you can handle in one essay. For my half yearlies, only 1 ORT was needed so I did 3 texts in one paragraph but I only had 2 paragraphs. My friend on the other hand split her essay into only 2 texts per paragraph but had 3 paradigms. So its honestly up to you and what you think is most suitable. As long as its integrated to show synthesis and your driving argument is clearly linked to a paradigm I think any structure would be fine from my perspective :)
 good luck

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2018, 11:07:19 am »
hey everyone!
So my teacher lowkey screwed me over because at the beginning of the year she set the assessment due in like term 2 that was a narrative relating to the nuclear testing in Australia, i worked heeeeeellla hard on it  fixing it up all throughout the year but now she has back-flipped and said it was really good but doesnt meet the criteria for the hsc and she should have made us write one more related to the cold war (thanks...)
So with two weeks until trials im trying to conjure up a narrative. I have a plot based on a 1950s american housewife that suspects her husband of being a communist. In her hysteria, she absorbs all the cold war media and becomes convinced her husband threats Americas democracy and kills him, she than discovers his secrecy was tied up in an affair with another woman and with the blood on her hands she thinks better dead than red and kills herself.

I just think my narrative is too simplistic especially upon reading some of the threads on ext 1 creative writing on atar notes. does anyone have any advice how i can make my plot more sophisticated? Thanks :)

georgia.aslanidis

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
Hi,

I'm struggling a bit in terms of how to use post structuralism analysis for Waiting for Godot (WFG). I went to Emily's lecture and she said that using the key words 'signifers' shows the marker I'm talking about it but in terms of WFG quotes to show it I'm lost.

For example,
would I use the quote 'Nothing happens/ it's awful' and then say that these words signify that the world is bereft of any progress and thus meaning.
Or is that just completely wrong and sounds like normal analysis and not using poststructuralism at all?

Thanks!

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2018, 10:24:49 pm »
Hello

I am really struggling in preparing for English Extension 1 HSC. I have a story planned. I am preparing on memorising it because there is no way I can write a stellar, historically accurate creative in an hour. And also, I have written around 5 essay plans, but E1 is my worst subject and it is really freaking me out help.