Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:11 am

Author Topic: A Year 9's guide to the Melbourne High School Test/Interview  (Read 3692 times)  Share 

Logi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
What should i study for the test -
Maths -
Make sure you go through your whole year nine book and have it covered
Most question were linear equations this year
Verbal Reasoning/Reading Comprehension -
Practice test: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/secondary/Pages/practicetests.aspx
Read at least 14 books( i didn't)
Creative Writing -
Try to think outside of the box, don't use lazy year 3 vocabulary
Read books and watch movies to create a story around the topic
Persuasive -
Try to read sample essays
Use T.E.E.L(topic,evidence,explanation,link) or T.E.D (topic, evidence, discuss)
Overall i did alright in the test i got 3 superiors but in the end i didn't get in as I didn't express myself as much in the interview
IF anyone is interested in how to prepare for the interview pm me to make another post
Good luck
P.S Pretty early post but always good to prepare
Source: MHS Interview

magicmania121

• Forum Regular
  • School: Caufield Grammar
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: A Year 9's guide to the Melbourne High School Test/Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
Did u get waiting list?

Aaron2003

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:06 am »
IF anyone is interested in how to prepare for the interview pm me to make another post.

I was wondering that IF I receive an email to be interviewed, how should I go about it. Any tips?

magicmania121

• Forum Regular
  • School: Caufield Grammar
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:09:01 am »
You have to try stand out but not too much and what there mainly looking for is a person who is willing to let people try and working as a team is really good. Make sure you read the news cause they will ask you and the following other boys about issues. They are trying to see how you think as well. So make sure you don't say anything and let someone talk, if you have something to say, say it. Also, if both people are going to talk at the same time, let the other guy speak which shows MHS that you are willing to let other people have a chancd

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:36:13 pm »
+1
i did the interview and i got an offer and the best advice i can give is: be a leader but dont be bossy. they want people who want leadership but not people who are bossy or difficult. when they give you the first puzzle be like "so who has any ideas how we should approach this?" or if you have a good idea say "alright guys I think i have an idea, tell me what you think?" if someone is bossy or talks over you theyre immediately getting a big cross over their name. its far better to be diplomatic in wasting time/doing something shitter than your way than being a dick about it. if someone else suggests something and you like your idea better just say "alright sure we can try your way and if it doesnt work i think i have a good idea on what to do next"

beyond that you really wanna try to have a bit more depth than the other kids which wont be hard. you might get a task like pick 4 things that mean alot to you or you spend alot of time with and i guarantee 9/10 of the others will mention gaming in that 4. if you pick things even slightlky more meaningful like your family, or aeven your religion or your pet or something, you will have far more depth than the most common combo which is gaming - piano - tennis/table tennis/swimming - something else.   

in the 1 on 1 interview dont stress too much either. you dont have to use much of it up. most of the people spent a very long time in there, like 20 minutes but for me i walked in, they were looking through my high school report for year 8 and said "didnt do well in health did you haha" and i was like "nah haha me and the teacher didnt get along" and the other interviewer was like "yeah fair enough mate, so have you got any questions for us?" and i was like "not really i think ive done my research" and theyre like "alright well your free to go if you like" and i was like "thanks" and thats it i walked downstairs and my mum was mortified because i came out so quickly she thought i completely fucked it up HAHAHA

i think moral of the story is to not be shy about your ideas/thoughts/feelings, see things in a positive light and be a good bloke in general
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:39:18 pm by spectroscopy »