Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:35:24 am

Author Topic: Creative: Idea help!  (Read 1812 times)  Share 

VictoriaDap

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Creative: Idea help!
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
Hey guys,
I know this seems a little silly to post up on here because everyone struggles themselves, but I was wondering If i could get help from anyone on how to develop an idea for my extension creative. The topic is 'Romanticism' and my teacher said the markers prefer it to be set from the Romantic period (1800's-1850's). This really threw me off as I cant even seem to grip a small idea to start actually writing.
Anyways enough with the babbling, are there any websites or help that anyone could provide me with to develop an idea for my creative? I'm really lost and feel disappointed with myself every time I stare at a blank screen but can't seem to come up with anything.
Any help is appreciated :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
Re: Creative: Idea help!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:31:31 am »
Hey guys,
I know this seems a little silly to post up on here because everyone struggles themselves, but I was wondering If i could get help from anyone on how to develop an idea for my extension creative. The topic is 'Romanticism' and my teacher said the markers prefer it to be set from the Romantic period (1800's-1850's). This really threw me off as I cant even seem to grip a small idea to start actually writing.
Anyways enough with the babbling, are there any websites or help that anyone could provide me with to develop an idea for my creative? I'm really lost and feel disappointed with myself every time I stare at a blank screen but can't seem to come up with anything.
Any help is appreciated :)

Hey there Victoria!
The advice your teacher is giving you is correct - your creative should always be set in the period. I went about beginning my creative by researching figures of Romanticism, eg. Wagner and Coleridge. I then latched on to little odd facts about them, and settings I liked. These were then used as a starting point for the creative
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: Creative: Idea help!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:45:40 pm »
+1
Sory if this is too late, but I find that you have to be really really clear in expressing your ideas in a creative. So, maybe use a particular value of Romantisism, such as the class structure, patriarchy, theocracy, prejudice etc or a particular event or convention like the industrial revolution and base your story off this.

a random example -  a wealthy girl who finds a letter from her dead father about him giving money to another man, and how she thinks it is scandalous and she learns her aunt and father were once poor and worked in the factories (industrial revolution).

some tips that i use when writing a creative, might be useful ;P
Here are some cliches that you might want to avoid if you want to separate yourself from the cohort:
Avoid whimsical fantasies in nature.
Avoid writing a 1500 word story about women being subject to the patriarchy.
Avoid murder, rape, and all other heinous crimes like that (unless it's used sparingly for dramatic effect only).
Avoid verbosity. Please, please don't have your characters shit out a bunch of archaisms (unless doing otherwise would incur anachronism) because this is not authentic. People really did speak quite ordinarily back then!
Avoid adverbs. They're kind of useless. You want to show, not tell. If you need an adverb to create an image, then you didn't select the correct verb.
Avoid adjectival overload. Once again, tell a story. Create an image through pauses, ellipses, paragraphs.

As my final point: calm down! Your desire to succeed immediately catapults you above the demotivated among your cohort. Think clearly. Think rationally. Think human.