Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:36:07 pm

Author Topic: ^-^  (Read 4956 times)  Share 

Jessica1231

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
^-^
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:21:23 am »
So I am currently in year 9. I tried out for mac rob this year and I received an offer. So I am torn between uni high (my current school) and Mac rob. Loads of people said that mac rob is bad. Any advice?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:58:36 am by Jessica1231 »

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Mac Rob or Uni High
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:03:51 am »
+1
YOLO IT!! MAKE UR OWN CHOICE!! DECIDE WHAT THE BEST IS FOR YOU!! DONT LET OTHERS SWAAY YOU!!
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

Yan035

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:14:44 am »
+3
yes, you need to make your own mind. The teachers in Mac Rob are very average, you need to rely on yourself for most of your study.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:51 am »
+7
So I am currently in year 9. I tried out for mac rob this year and I received an offer. So I am torn between uni high (my current school) and Mac rob. Loads of people said that mac rob is bad. Any advice?

Hey Jessica. :)

Congrats on the MacRob offer! Whether you accept it or not, that's a really great achievement - you should be proud!

Do you like Uni High at the moment? I think that will probably have a pretty big influence on your decision. I know many people who were in similar positions to you - some took the offer, some didn't. There's no objectively right or wrong answer, here, but on the face of it, you seem to be in a good position either way. :)

- Do you have good friends at Uni High?
- Do the schools offer different subjects?
- What are your teachers like at the moment?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »
+1
I have a few great friends.
The school does offer different subjects.
TBH They are pretty average.
I just feel like the staff I am doing in class is too easy(beside English), I really wanna challenge myself. But I don't know whether the teachers are good there. Btw my mother said, if u study in uni high u get an advantage getting in Melbourne uni. Don't know whether that's true though.
Hey! Challenging yourself is a potentially good reason to go to a school like MacRob.

As far as getting an advantage... you won't need it. If you go to MacRob and study hard, honestly, you will get the ATAR required for entry into most UniMelb courses.

Do you have a 'feeling' of what you truly want to do?  :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
+1
I have a few great friends.
The school does offer different subjects.
TBH They are pretty average.
I just feel like the staff I am doing in class is too easy(beside English), I really wanna challenge myself. But I don't know whether the teachers are good there. Btw my mother said, if u study in uni high u get an advantage getting in Melbourne uni. Don't know whether that's true though.

Existing friends: a tick for Uni High. In saying that, I'm sure you'd make great friends at MacRob, too - so that's not necessarily advantage Uni High yet.

What subjects does each school offer? Which do you think you'd be more interested in going forward?

I think it's hard to say if the teachers are good, because that's such a subjective measure. MacRob obviously gets consistently astounding results, but is that because of the teachers? Who knows, really? What would be great is having some current MacRob students pitch in here. :)

I know of no such partnership between Uni High and UniMelb, but admittedly ignorant.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
I don't think the teachers are worse than your current school. They might be mediocre for such high achieving students but still probably just as good as unihigh teachers, They won't purposely stream bad teachers into Macrob lol/

Note that EVERY school (except maybe some private schools) have their own share of poor teachers.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

caqiu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:25:10 pm »
SAME!!!
I currently go to Mentone Girls Grammar but I don't have a scholarship and its expensive but I live close to the school. My parent says they don't mind if I stay but I hate the school but I have doubts going to MR. But I don't want them to spend more money on me and I feel like they have to my financial pressure my sister also attends the school(has a scholarship though). The facilities and techers are good but the academics is kinda ranged out. However I've already enrolled.

caqiu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:23:12 am »
I am doing the enrollment tonight. Really hope we'll be in the same class. btw have you had ur jmss interview?
Yh I had it on Wednesday last week, are you doing it? I think we will because my friend at MR told me they'll be adding a class and everyone who did the yr 10 entry should all be going in it!  :)

Jessica1231

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:03 pm »
Yh I had it on Wednesday last week, are you doing it? I think we will because my friend at MR told me they'll be adding a class and everyone who did the yr 10 entry should all be going in it!  :)
wait so does that mean around 20 students got in for yr 10 entry? BTW do u know whether is possible to try out for ap?

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:53 pm »
28 people (minimum) get into MHS every year.

caqiu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:05:20 pm »
wait so does that mean around 20 students got in for yr 10 entry? BTW do u know whether is possible to try out for ap?
Maybe a few more because it's the new class plus however many leave the school in other classes. What's AP?

Jessica1231

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »
Maybe a few more because it's the new class plus however many leave the school in other classes. What's AP?
The math acclerated program which allows students to take mm 1/2 in year 11

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »
The math acclerated program which allows students to take mm 1/2 in year 11

If you are in the accel maths program/doing year 10 maths in year 9 in your current school, you can automatically go to the accel maths program at macrob (one of my classmates was in that situation).
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

caqiu

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »
If you are in the accel maths program/doing year 10 maths in year 9 in your current school, you can automatically go to the accel maths program at macrob (one of my classmates was in that situation).
I don't think that happens, check there student portal for yr 10, it says that if you do well on the test I think they automatically put you in it.