Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:24:56 pm

Author Topic: Coming up with Arguments for Persuasive Writing  (Read 1423 times)  Share 

Aearator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Coming up with Arguments for Persuasive Writing
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:00 am »
Hi everyone, I just had a question regarding coming up arguments for the persuasive writing. I’m having some trouble coming up with 2 arguments and a rebuttal under the time limit on certain topics, and I wanted to ask what would be the best way to improve this ability. Do I read the newspaper, does it come naturally after a lot of practice or is there some other method? Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

nights

• Trailblazer
Re: Coming up with Arguments for Persuasive Writing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:03:46 pm »
+2
sorry to burst your bubble but,, i don't think there are any valid strategies you can use for producing arguments aside from using your brain
unless you're already knowledgeable on the given topic, i'm pretty sure most people would have difficulties coming up with valid arguments lmao
even if the arguments you come up with aren't that strong, just try to make it as valid as possible by linking it to literally any pieces of evidence
i think i'm stating the obvious, but the point is: a finished essay is better than an incomplete essay, so if you really can't come up with ideas, just. come up with something that's even slightly relevant to the topic (it doesn't have to be entirely valid), especially since it's a 15 minute exam situation
the analytical topics given are often based on current issues, so definitely try to keep up with the news! you'd also get the hang of it after lots of practice essays
hope this helps in any way! even though this was really rambly and probably irrelevant sorry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:06:45 pm by nights »
vce 2019-2020: english language | lote | maths methods | further | chemistry | philosophy
monash university 2021-2024

Aearator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:49 pm »
sorry to burst your bubble but,, i don't think there are any valid strategies you can use for producing arguments aside from using your brain
unless you're already knowledgeable on the given topic, i'm pretty sure most people would have difficulties coming up with valid arguments lmao
even if the arguments you come up with aren't that strong, just try to make it as valid as possible by linking it to literally any pieces of evidence
i think i'm stating the obvious, but the point is: a finished essay is better than an incomplete essay, so if you really can't come up with ideas, just. come up with something that's even slightly relevant to the topic (it doesn't have to be entirely valid), especially since it's a 15 minute exam situation
the analytical topics given are often based on current issues, so definitely try to keep up with the news! you'd also get the hang of it after lots of practice essays
hope this helps in any way! even though this was really rambly and probably irrelevant sorry

Thanks for the help  :)
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

hellosir

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:37:32 pm »
Ey, kinda late but whatever.

What I realised from last years exam, is that is prettu much guided you on what you need to write persuasively.

When I was given the persuasive piece exam, it came with the topic and a sample introduction. Most tutors just give you the topic but during the exam they gave us a sample introduction.

This means you can either go above and beyond and think up your own arguments, or leech of the sample introduction for ideas as the sample introduction is quite solid. It clearly states two arguments and a rebuttal for it, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I was pretty confident on my mathematics so I decided to play safe and not take risks (especially since I was only going for NHS) by just using the arguments "provided" by the sanple introduction. Worked out well, got like a high or above average (i forgot) and I got in... sooo yeah.

Overall, don't worry too much about arguments, just ensure you can make a somewhat decent argument on the spot even if it is stupid, as long as you can back it up in the explanatiom and evidence, you should be fine.