Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:30 pm

Author Topic: Can my ATB creative be set in Cuba?  (Read 1154 times)  Share 

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Can my ATB creative be set in Cuba?
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:54:50 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in setting my story in Cuba during the Cold War, however, my teacher recommended that we set ur story's in: Europe, Japan, Australia or Russia. i haven't had a chance to ask him about Cuba yet, and since i don't have an ex 1 lesson until next week i thought i'll see what you guys have to say.

He also said that it was ideal for our story's to be set in the Western world. Any thought on that?

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
Re: Can my ATB creative be set in Cuba?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:25 pm »
+1
You should listen to what your  teacher  wants as they are the ones who will be marking your work. The exam is a different story however.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:10:11 pm »
+2
If you really know a lot about Cuba and reckon you can pull it off then go for it! Creative writing is a beautiful thing and no one can tell you what you can and can't do. I didn't do ext 1 myself, but if you think setting your story in Cuba will help you create an awesome peice that meets the requirements of doing ATB then there is absolutley no reason not to do it, in fact it might give you that point of difference we all aspire to obtain. So I reckon go with what your heart says  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:13:56 pm »
+2
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in setting my story in Cuba during the Cold War, however, my teacher recommended that we set ur story's in: Europe, Japan, Australia or Russia. i haven't had a chance to ask him about Cuba yet, and since i don't have an ex 1 lesson until next week i thought i'll see what you guys have to say.

He also said that it was ideal for our story's to be set in the Western world. Any thought on that?

I'm not sure what the basis of your teacher's recommendation is. I'd be 100% for Cuba! But if he's saying that Japanese-set stories are recommended, yet ideally you'd set your story in the Western world, then it doesn't really make sense. I've seen brilliant creatives from various sides of the Cold War, and even the Vietnam War.

By all means play the game to your teacher if they are marking - by this I just mean ask them about what they think of your idea. But I see no issue! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 05:37:55 pm »
+1
I agree with what everyone else has suggested. It is them marking ultimately but what you could do if you wanted would be to have two character perspectives, one who lives in one of those suggested countries and one who lives in Cuba, and your story could be a comparison of their experiences. Fragmentation is a really fun way to approach creative writing and this way, you can still do your desired country as well as satisfying your teacher. The Cuban Missile Crisis would be an appropriate event for something like this. Hope it goes well!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music