Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:18:51 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2020 DISCUSSION  (Read 2287 times)  Share 

Louis23

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2020 DISCUSSION
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:53 am »
Hi guyss,
 I needed help for the test as i am trying out next year. Could people who's done the test please give me any practice tests,
And tell me what topics you would need to know for each test..

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:55:37 am by Louis23 »

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
  • Respect: +3
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2020 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:31:16 pm »
Bro I got rejected yesterday from nossal as well and I知 just trying to be a bit helpful here as I only begun my basic study of jmss in June(a week after the shs exam haha)

I have finish the year 8 science concepts during July and I知 currently studying the year 9 science textbook concepts plus I知 doing some excel smartstudy questions at the same time; I値l probably do the same thing for year 10 science and hopefully can get these done by the end of term 4. I値l then do some chem, physics, methods and spesh units 1/2 over the summer break and start to do some icas science practice tests after I kind of get the basics haha (I値l only start to do that after I finish the chem and physics unit 2 as I just wanna to ensure that I could pass the test) and I would possibly be going to James an for the scientific writing next year(people says that it痴 useful)

I値l study 3-4 hours a day for now based on science and math(for math I知 re-doing the year 9 plus 10 concepts) and yeah. Hopefully this can be a bit helpful(sorry if it doesn稚 as I知 doing the test next year as well) and good luck on this(yeah let痴 hope we can at least get into jmss)

welp I知 procrastinating rn

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:37 pm »
jeeazaloo .. Jmss is nothing compared to these year 9 selective exams. Trust me it will be easier than what you probably did for math and numerical bc when i did it, it was extremely hard as well.

When I came into the exam I only had focused on math, I probably did like 3 hours a week for JMSS. I got the interview anyway.

I dont think you should worry too much about the actual exam, what you should be doing is participating in a lot of science and other extra curricular activities and competitions which can help you in your interview. The interview is the main stage and probably the hardest as well.

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »
jeeazaloo .. Jmss is nothing compared to these year 9 selective exams. Trust me it will be easier than what you probably did for math and numerical bc when i did it, it was extremely hard as well.

When I came into the exam I only had focused on math, I probably did like 3 hours a week for JMSS. I got the interview anyway.

I dont think you should worry too much about the actual exam, what you should be doing is participating in a lot of science and other extra curricular activities and competitions which can help you in your interview. The interview is the main stage and probably the hardest as well.

Hey,

I was wondering if you had any material, any tests and any books u would recommend.

I would also appreciate if u could tell me all the topics u would need to learn for all subjects of the exam

Thanks

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
Bro I got rejected yesterday from nossal as well and I知 just trying to be a bit helpful here as I only begun my basic study of jmss in June(a week after the shs exam haha)

I have finish the year 8 science concepts during July and I知 currently studying the year 9 science textbook concepts plus I知 doing some excel smartstudy questions at the same time; I値l probably do the same thing for year 10 science and hopefully can get these done by the end of term 4. I値l then do some chem, physics, methods and spesh units 1/2 over the summer break and start to do some icas science practice tests after I kind of get the basics haha (I値l only start to do that after I finish the chem and physics unit 2 as I just wanna to ensure that I could pass the test) and I would possibly be going to James an for the scientific writing next year(people says that it痴 useful)

I値l study 3-4 hours a day for now based on science and math(for math I知 re-doing the year 9 plus 10 concepts) and yeah. Hopefully this can be a bit helpful(sorry if it doesn稚 as I知 doing the test next year as well) and good luck on this(yeah let痴 hope we can at least get into jmss)
If you are going  to James An, you should definitely do Spesh units 1 and 2. Trust me, don't rely on James An too much, the only reason why I finished of, like you say you are going to, for chem, physics, bio, methods and spesh is bcos THAT'S HOW HARD THE TESTS WERE. I usually got like 50% but after doing the textbooks I got like 90% for James An for all tests. But here's the thing:

NONE OF THE CONCEPTS FROM JAMES AN WERE FROM THE ACTUAL JMSS TEST

the actual jmss test had like parabolas and other quadratics while the ones from James An had like bloody logarithms at the easiest and calculus at the hardest. Nevertheless, it is a great way to increase speed.  So I would actually suggest that you try to spend a LOT less time on the exams and much much more on the interviews. The interviews are RLLY hard, almost if not harder, than other selective entry ones and the competition gets super intense. Everything that you do have to be perfect! DW you will be fine with the interviews I am sure that you will :)

lem0n

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:04:23 pm »
So I guess I'll just put this here...
As a current year 10 at JMSS who did the entrance exam in 2018 here's my two cents on what to study for the entrance exam. Note that you really don't need to study a bunch of VCE maths and science to do well - the exam is comparatively not that hard and based a lot more on intuition. I would say the two main things you should study to get ahead is how to write a prac report and year 10 maths.

Scientific Reasoning
This component is mostly based on logic and understanding graphs and information. It isn't material heavy in terms of science, it is more so logic style questions based in science topics. There isn't much you can do to study for this. You can do some practice scientific reasoning tests but there isn't much else.

Numerical Reasoning
Again this isn't too material heavy, more so understanding patterns that incidentally involve numbers. Not much you can study as it is a lot more intuition but you can practice logic and patterns in general.

Mathematics
Probably the hardest part of the exam. This one is actually reliant on the secondary curriculum up to year 10 and is basically just maths questions. Make sure you know topics like fractions, algebra, trig, linear, probability and quadratics as that will make a difference in how well you perform here.

Scientific Writing
Might be different now, but for me this had two parts: an information response and a prac report. For the information response (not sure what else to call it) you have a paper with information about something and then have to do a write-up about said information and also include some facts about it. The prac report is pretty standard - you have an experiment and have to write about it. For study I might practice writing under timed conditions (fun right!) and also understanding and responding to information. The main thing, though, is definitely know how to write a prac report including aim, hypothesis, method, results, discussion and conclusion as well as understanding things like independent/dependent variables, potential errors and changes to the experiment.

The exam is actually not the hardest part of getting into JMSS, the interviews would be. Some tips: in group activities you should just be a good group member that cooperates and speaks, build a portfolio of extra-curriculars and outside of school activities (they care about you as a person) and in the interview itself talk about your passion for science and maths and about why it interests you. Note there may be some weird curve ball question like "How will science help Melbourne's population growth by 2050?" You probably have a genuine passion for science and maths as that is why you are applying for JMSS and that is the main thing they care about in the interviews.

Good luck to everyone trying out!

AMC for life

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 01:00:25 pm »
Wait I am so confused, for year 10 selective exams, do we have to study for science?? And what is JMSS??

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:19:34 pm »
Wait I am so confused, for year 10 selective exams, do we have to study for science?? And what is JMSS??

Jmss stands for John monash science school and it is one of the schools that focus heavily on science and math(it located in Clayton near monash uni) :)

I知 pretty sure that for the year 10 selective entry to macrob, mhs, nossal and Cory are the same format as this year痴
welp I知 procrastinating rn

I Like Science

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 09:12:19 pm »
Hey guys, im a student in year 9 at UHS (university high school - Parkville) and i'm doing the entrance exams for both EBSS, which is right next to our school, and JMSS. I'm looking forward to hearing any helpful information or techniques to help me do well, this includes any necessary tutoring or question papers.

Thx
I Like Science 8) 8) 8)

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 09:14:43 pm »
Hey guys, im a student in year 9 at UHS (university high school - Parkville) and i'm doing the entrance exams for both EBSS, which is right next to our school, and JMSS. I'm looking forward to hearing any helpful information or techniques to help me do well, this includes any necessary tutoring or question papers.

Thx
I Like Science 8) 8) 8)
Hey take a look at the first few pages of this forum and other forums likewise that should help.
Edit: Soz i meant this forum,https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=175526.0 (feeling a bit sleepy lol  :P ::))
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:18:30 pm by ^^^111^^^ »