Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:26 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2021 Discussion  (Read 2284 times)  Share 

Zuha_x

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2021 Discussion
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:08:41 pm »
+4
Hey guys, I know that I have created this forum really early  ;) , but I just felt like doing it now. Anyway, welcome to the 'JMSS Year 10 Entrance Exam 2021Discussion'! Those who are in grade 8 I decided to create this to help each other to prepare for our exam, which I will being doing along with you guyz. I suggest you guys prepare for the exam maybe now.

The exam format goes like this: (I got this from another forum)

Science Reasoning: 30 questions / 30 minutes- Apply your scientific knowledge and logic to the test. It's like verbal reasoning, but it obviously has got to do with science. It's like the ICAS test.

Numerical Reasoning: 60 questions / 30 minutes- For those who went for the selective high school entrance exam this year, it's similar to that. It has maths problems, and there are problems that require logic. 

Mathematics: 60 questions / 30 minutes- It's also very similar to the selective high school entry exam. (It's actually easier than in the other exam as you're able to work out answers quickly).

Essay 1: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- It's a science prac, but for this year, you only need to write a discussion by answering the questions. Be sure to draw the diagram, although it doesn't tell you to do that. You also need to know dependent, independent and control variables as one of the questions will ask you to mention them (I got mixed up between dependent and independent).

Essay 2: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- You're given some info to write in your essay. Try including them as many given info as possible. I think you can apply your knowledge to your essay because I did that. Usually, the topic is based on biology. For example, this year we wrote about Port Phillip Bay's water quality (I don't think I did well on it. I forgot to email JMSS for my report, so I don't know). There were facts about Port Phillip Bay, water qualities of some Victorian beaches, how Port Phillip Bay's water contamination affects other rivers / lakes / beaches etc., pollutions in Port Phillip Bay, etc...

Please feel free to ask me (and other experienced exam candidates as they will probably jump to this forum) any questions. I hope that I will be on this forum often, but I cannot guarantee that I will. I do apologise if I don't answer your questions on time. Anyways, happy discussion! :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:16:13 pm by Zuha_x »

HER0022

• Fresh Poster
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2021 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:08:51 pm »
Thanks for creating this forum. I’m gonna start studying for JMSS now. I’ve read all the 117 pages for the 2019 one.

Lol that must have been a lot of reading but I guess it’s worth it :). I’ve started studying as well and I hope it pays off since I didn’t pass the selective entrance exam.

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:50:04 am »
yeah me too. i am on my holidays and have been studying a lot. i finished the yr 7 textbook a couple months ago and just finished the yr 8 one. about to start yr 9. once i finish going through that, i will probs start doing like practice exams and stuff. n im pretty good with maths, just need to keep on revising so that i remember

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:12:05 am »
What do I have to study for science. I’m good at the maths and numerical but science I’m okay at.

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »
I go to a private school and I want to know what results are needed to get into JMSS

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:30:05 am »
im not like 100% sure. but some people said that going through the textbooks would help. and do a lot of practice tests. it can give u a good understanding of what's gonna be on the test and also help with timing :)

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:39 pm »
For anyone wanting to know what kind of results you need...
I got 3 sups (Science reasoning, numerical, math)
1 Above Avg and 1 Avg
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

scge8

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:28 pm »
Hello everyone!  ;D If you guys are interested in any tutoring or mock interviews let me know. Prices are negotiable. I’m a JMSS students and the lessons will be at libraries. :D