Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:13:52 am

Author Topic: WOU Essay Structure?  (Read 1699 times)  Share 

phungies

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
WOU Essay Structure?
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:54 am »
Hey guys. For my WOU essay, my teacher recommended me doing a structure like this:

Intro
Body 1: Prescribed Text (Waiting for Godot)
Body 2: Two Related Texts (Dr Strangelove and Catch 22)
Body 3: Prescribed Text (Seamus Heaney's poetry)

The paragraphs are going in chronological order in regards to the time period. What do you guys think? Is it weird to have two integrated related texts?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: WOU Essay Structure?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 12:23:20 pm »
Hey guys. For my WOU essay, my teacher recommended me doing a structure like this:

Intro
Body 1: Prescribed Text (Waiting for Godot)
Body 2: Two Related Texts (Dr Strangelove and Catch 22)
Body 3: Prescribed Text (Seamus Heaney's poetry)

The paragraphs are going in chronological order in regards to the time period. What do you guys think? Is it weird to have two integrated related texts?

Hey, phungies!

It really just depends on how you structure your ideas. As long as your discussion of texts are balanced and flow logically into one another, you can really do whatever structure you like. It'd be smart to do what you've done for Trials if that worked out or whatever structure you feel most comfortable with. I personally feel like this might make a more effective essay structure since I had similar text types in my HSC and found that this worked for me.

Essay Structure
Introduction
Body 1- Waiting for Godot + Related Text 1
Body 2- Seamus Heaney Poem 1 + Related Text 1
Body 3- Waiting for Godot + Related Text 2
Body 4- Seamus Heaney Poem 2 + Related Text 2
Conclusion

With this structure, you can balance your discussion out and also directly compare (i.e relate!) Dr. Strangelove and Catch 22 to the prescribed texts. Again, it's up to what works best for you  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

phungies

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: WOU Essay Structure?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:12:09 am »
+1
Hey, phungies!

It really just depends on how you structure your ideas. As long as your discussion of texts are balanced and flow logically into one another, you can really do whatever structure you like. It'd be smart to do what you've done for Trials if that worked out or whatever structure you feel most comfortable with. I personally feel like this might make a more effective essay structure since I had similar text types in my HSC and found that this worked for me.

Essay Structure
Introduction
Body 1- Waiting for Godot + Related Text 1
Body 2- Seamus Heaney Poem 1 + Related Text 1
Body 3- Waiting for Godot + Related Text 2
Body 4- Seamus Heaney Poem 2 + Related Text 2
Conclusion

With this structure, you can balance your discussion out and also directly compare (i.e relate!) Dr. Strangelove and Catch 22 to the prescribed texts. Again, it's up to what works best for you  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you so much, it makes perfect sense!