Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:24:19 pm

Author Topic: Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval  (Read 3499 times)  Share 

miayoung3311

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:24:35 pm »
Hello!
My name is Mia and I came to the extension 1 lecture yesterday at UTS!
This year my prescribed texts are Frankenstein, Waiting for Godot and some Seamus Heaney poems (won't be using them though) and I was wondering if you had any good related texts to use for the first two.
I am obsessed with Jane Austen and romanticism and I was hoping you would be able to tell me if any of her books or the Bronte sisters' books would be helpful.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:12:00 pm »
Hello!
My name is Mia and I came to the extension 1 lecture yesterday at UTS!
This year my prescribed texts are Frankenstein, Waiting for Godot and some Seamus Heaney poems (won't be using them though) and I was wondering if you had any good related texts to use for the first two.
I am obsessed with Jane Austen and romanticism and I was hoping you would be able to tell me if any of her books or the Bronte sisters' books would be helpful.

Hey, Mia!

Welcome to the forums  :D Austen would be a nice pairing with Frankenstein especially if you're thinking of applying feminist theory. I'm just a bit iffy with Austen since her literary worlds are more mundane and less "upheavally" (though she is a fantastic author)! Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights would make a good related text if you wanted to use one of the sisters' novels  :)

Here are some other suggestions that I previously gave to WOH peeps. Hope this helps and let me know what you end up choosing!

Poetry
Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven (1845)
Thomas McGrath's All The Dead Soldiers (1967)
Afaa Michael Weaver's Waste (2014)
Nomi Stone's Anthropocene (2016)

Film
Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (1987)

Nonfiction
Wyndham Lewis' Blast Manifesto (1914-1915)
George Orwell's Shooting an Elephant (1936)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

miayoung3311

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:00:15 pm »
+1
Thank you so much! Yes as much as I would want to do Austen I agree that her novels aren't exactly suited to worlds of upheaval. I would love to do wuthering heights because I have it at home but I'll check with my teacher when school goes back!
Thanks again,
Mia