Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:43:05 pm

Author Topic: How to study for selective exam  (Read 1300 times)  Share 

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How to study for selective exam
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:04:22 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

So, how can i study for the exam coming up in a few months? Can anyone explain how to study for all 6 subjects? For Maths, I am currently revising and studying off a Year 9/10 Maths workbook. For English, I am trying to memorise new words and their roots. Please be honest guys, is this sufficient, if not what am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: How to study for selective exam
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:56:46 pm »
+2
Practice questions on time. Time is very very very important because if you know how solve questions but can not do them on time and quick then that is a problem. You should time yourself to finish one question in like 30 seconds or even less. Also, for math do not focus too much on hard concepts because the test is easier than you would expect. Are you in year 10? and may I ask what school are you applying to?

Hope that helps

qwerty124

• Trailblazer
  • None
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:36:19 pm »
+1
yeah it's all about time management; don't spend too much time on one question

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:10:23 pm »
+1
Practice questions on time. Time is very very very important because if you know how solve questions but can not do them on time and quick then that is a problem. You should time yourself to finish one question in like 30 seconds or even less. Also, for math do not focus too much on hard concepts because the test is easier than you would expect. Are you in year 10? and may I ask what school are you applying to?

Hope that helps

Thanks, I am in year 8 going for year 9 entry haha. Melbourne high only as that's the only "close" school, i live in Watsonia, only the city would be accessible :(

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:12:19 pm »
+1

Hope that helps

You mention "easy", can you please explain this, some people say the test is really hard while some say its easy?

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »
+2
You mention "easy", can you please explain this, some people say the test is really hard while some say its easy?

Well I said the math questions were easy because I practiced doing hard questions thinking that they will be on the test, So I kind of forgot the basics like how to find the area and perimeter of irregular shapes, patterns etc. Eventhough the questions of math were easy I did not get into the school that I applied to because I did not know how to manage my time. So practice doing questions on time because even if you are smart but can not do the questions fast then...  But of course there were some hard questions, they usually put hard questions at the start to trick you (just to waste your time) so I suggest leaving them and coming back if you have time left. Also, practice on doing worded questions. I also did the Edu test, it is online and you can buy as many practice questions as you want (Its format is similar to the real test). Just keep on practicing because practice makes perfect.

I hope that helps