Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:31 am

Author Topic: What subject should I do?  (Read 7642 times)

spark1711

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
What subject should I do?
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:24:16 pm »
hii
(idrk how this forum works so i hope im posting in the right place)
so i’m in yr9 rn n I go to a selective school, where we are recommended to start a 1/2 subject in year 10. I really have no clue what type of job/courses i wanna get into,, and this is my problem:

so my best subject is english and my worst subject is maths (in terms of skills)

i am above average at science and humanities but am not particularly amazing at them. i am a bit better at humanities though.

I dont really enjoy humanities and english, but i get really high scores in those subjects. They sorta stress me out too,, but i always get top marks for eng and high averages for hums (idek how or why)

i don’t really enjoy maths and it is my worst subject (but i am still slightly above average). However compared to my class, I’m just average at it (all the kids r rlly good at maths bc it’s a selective school :0)

The subject i enjoyed the most  has been science, especially learning about cells and chemistry. However, sometimes it is hard to keep up with my class and i need a allot of time to process and understand some concepts. i am barely above average, and I take a lot longer to grasp some concepts and get my head around them then a lot of my classmates.

I really enjoy biology, especially with cell structure, our body systems n stuff like that, but it’s one of my weakest subjects, and i feel like it might get too hard even if I enjoy it. Also i would have to be pretty good at maths to continue science which i’m just average at.

^
so as a summary,, i’m rly good at eng and hums but they aren’t interesting to me AT ALL,, i suck at maths n am just average in science but science is legit the only subject i enjoy-

sooooo if anyone knows what this feels like/ have experienced it,, could you please give me some advice on what vce subjects I should consider?
i’m basically asking- Should i go with subjects i’m really good at (that i still put a lot of effort into) but don’t really enjoy, or should I go with competitive subjects that I enjoy but am really average at?
sorry this was a long as post :(

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: What subject should I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:18 pm »
+4
Hi! I was in your position as I was stronger at eng/hums and didn't know what to do. I ended up picking Health and Human Development as my accelerated subject, as it's a mix of English based learning with global studies and health mixed into it.

My best advice would be to do something you enjoy. That way, when studying for it/doing coursework, you'll the enjoying the process. Even if you feel like you're average at the subject, with subjects you enjoy, there is always room for more learning and improvement (:

Maybe have a look through the study designs of subjects you're considering, and see what you'd enjoy (:
You can always change your mind, too! So if you start something and find you don't like it, you can always switch.
Hope this helped somehow.

katehawker123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:59:29 pm »
+5
Hey there!

I also agree with blueycan - pick a 1/2 that you will enjoy and then develop a better understanding of it along the way. We have the same system at our school and I studied PE when I was in Year 10. The idea of an accelerated subject is that you :

1) Get an extra subject contributed to your final aggregate score

but most importantly:
2) Begin to understand the process and what is required of a VCE subject - before you fully submerge yourself in VCE completely.

Try and talk to students who are doing some of the subjects you are considering, or the teachers at your school who you respect and look up to. I am sensing that you won't do Math's as a 1/2 in Year 10, but any other Science/English/Art subjects sound like great options for you. Don't forget about subject changes! - if you aren't loving your 1/2 next year, it is alwasy possible to swap :)

Good Luck!

P.S - Don't stress too much about your current levels in each subject - Year 9 is a starting base for incredible improvement in the coming years; it's all about commitment and motivation in the end and you are going to have a lot of fun along the way!!

spark1711

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:50:06 pm »
+1

Maybe have a look through the study designs of subjects you're considering, and see what you'd enjoy (:
You can always change your mind, too! So if you start something and find you don't like it, you can always switch.
Hope this helped somehow.

thank you SO much for replying!!
that's actually a really good idea (never even crossed my mind), and I feel like looking through the study designs will give me a much better understanding of my options. Part of what made it so hard was not knowing what each subject was really about, and i was scared I would be getting myself into a mess, but this is SO HELPFULL.
I cant thank you enough,, ur a lifesaver<3

spark1711

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:39 pm »
Hey there!

I also agree with blueycan - pick a 1/2 that you will enjoy and then develop a better understanding of it along the way. We have the same system at our school and I studied PE when I was in Year 10. The idea of an accelerated subject is that you :

1) Get an extra subject contributed to your final aggregate score

but most importantly:
2) Begin to understand the process and what is required of a VCE subject - before you fully submerge yourself in VCE completely.

Try and talk to students who are doing some of the subjects you are considering, or the teachers at your school who you respect and look up to. I am sensing that you won't do Math's as a 1/2 in Year 10, but any other Science/English/Art subjects sound like great options for you. Don't forget about subject changes! - if you aren't loving your 1/2 next year, it is alwasy possible to swap :)

Good Luck!

P.S - Don't stress too much about your current levels in each subject - Year 9 is a starting base for incredible improvement in the coming years; it's all about commitment and motivation in the end and you are going to have a lot of fun along the way!!

thank u sm for replying!
I was really overthinking it.. you explained it so much better than my teachers and it's so helpful to know the purpose of doing an accelerated subject (tysm for listing them <3).
So i'm guessing accelerated subjects r more of a learning experience?
I think I might do Biology, because I genuinely want to understand it better.
u have no idea how much this helpedd, I've been so overwhelmed and stressed trying to decide what to do ahh
thank you so so much