Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:09 pm

Author Topic: Year 11/12 Scaling  (Read 820 times)  Share 

milk.tea32

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Year 11/12 Scaling
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:30:39 pm »
Hi!
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I have a question about scaling in Year 11/12, comparing selective schools and average schools.

Does being in a high performing cohort (such as a selective school) have any impact on your score in anyway? I heard about scores being scaled up and down depending on your cohort, but I am just wondering how this differs to an average performing cohort. If I go to Year 12 at a low performing school but do well and perform high, will my mark be scaled down or up? Similarly, if I go to Year 12 at a selective school and do well, will my mark be scaled down or up?

Sorry for so many questions, just really confused!  :)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Year 11/12 Scaling
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:04 pm »
+2
Speaking from someone who goes to a selective school, the school you go to does not make or break you. Plenty of people get amazing atars which is beyond their expectations in a school with an 'average cohort' while plenty of selective school students do not meet their expectations. If you go to a low performing school chances are your marks may be scaled down, but many people defeat these odds. The main reason the people around me chose to go to a selective school is not because of vce (most of us didn't know what vce even was in Year 8), but because of the opportunities we get. Usually selective school cohorts either don't scale or scale up, but that doesn't mean every single student peforms great and gets 40+ study score. Suzanne Cory's median study score is like 35 raw and MacRob is like 37-39. In the end it's about your hard work. I see a lot of selective school students becoming lenient at the start of Year 11 with their first 3/4 because they think that they will score well because they are in a strong cohort. Sure, a strong cohort can lift you up a bit, but in the end it's about your own hard work. Don't worry about scaling in selective schools vs normal schools.
Hard and smart work is what separates you from the average, not the school you go to.
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips