Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:35 am

Author Topic: Victorian Selective Entry Exam  (Read 24024 times)  Share 

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
Re: Selective Entry Casual Chat
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 03:07:52 pm »
There's like a total of 400 students in my Year 8 cohort.
If you are the only ones applying from your school, does it give you an advantage? I have about 5 applying from my school.
How do you know if there is only 5 people applying? There is 400 students in your year 8 cohort, you physically asked every single student?

Suzie99.95

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 03:12:51 pm »
It's up to 5%. So if your result isn't ranked high enough and you are the ONLY one from your school applying you still won't get a place.

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 03:15:27 pm »
How do you know if there is only 5 people applying? There is 400 students in your year 8 cohort, you physically asked every single student?

My school has two campuses, and in my campus there are 5 people applying. I know because I asked the smart kids if they were. I'm not sure about the other campus though.
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »
Which subjects do you enjoy the most?

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 05:54:57 pm »
For James An, do you guys actually watch the explanation for reading comprehension. I feel like the explanation for reading comprehension is too slow and boring.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:03:03 pm by Alomoac »

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 06:50:52 pm »
For James An, do you guys actually watch the explanation for reading comprehension. I feel like the explanation for reading comprehension is too slow and boring.
Hi,
A quick tip I found for all my JAC classes is watching the replay. Instead of taking 3 hours of my time this method takes max 1 hour. I also do the classwork first to get a good understanding because the teachers always skip the classwork or give the answers straight away. SO yeah. I would highly recommend watching the recording as it saves time that you could be using for classwork.   
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:43 pm »
Hi,
A quick tip I found for all my JAC classes is watching the replay. Instead of taking 3 hours of my time this method takes max 1 hour. I also do the classwork first to get a good understanding because the teachers always skip the classwork or give the answers straight away. SO yeah. I would highly recommend watching the recording as it saves time that you could be using for classwork.

Thanks for this quick tip, what selective school are you applying for? Do you watch the explanations, I watch the explanations just for a few tips and tricks. For mathematics and numerical reasoning, explanations are really useful.

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 07:03:48 pm »
I skip the reading comprehension bit because it tends to go off topic and is too long

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 07:16:57 pm »
I skip the reading comprehension bit because it tends to go off topic and is too long

It is also very boring.

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 07:28:42 pm »
It is also very boring.
You can just see the number of people drop when it gets to English

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 07:35:58 pm »
Hey again
I usually just mark my work and listen to the stuff i got wrong. For me maths is really strong so i tend to not listen as much because i have already learnt the stuff before. I am average at English not including reading comp so i tend to listen more often as there were a lot of aspects which i was unfamiliar with.
I recommend watching the recording and paying attention to the parts which were difficult but skip the parts which were right.

Did you guys see the mess the kids made on the board a couple of lessons ago?
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:37 pm »
Hey
Also i have been averaging 28/40 to 33/40. Is this a good score for JAC. I am doing the test next year.
Did people find last weeks test really hard to do?
This is for people doing the test next year as they will be doing the same test

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 07:45:27 pm »
Hey
Also i have been averaging 28/40 to 33/40. Is this a good score for JAC. I am doing the test next year.
Did people find last weeks test really hard to do?
This is for people doing the test next year as they will be doing the same test

There really is no telling to which marks are good and which marks are bad because it's about how others do in their tests. But you seem to be doing well.

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 07:47:14 pm »
Does anybody know if Brainworks is a good tutor, a class mate of mine has been saying that Brainworks is a great tutor and is "the best tutor". I feel like he's exaggerating but other students in AtarNotes have been saying the same thing.

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 09:24:02 pm »
Hendersons and edukingdom are really good tutoring centres.