Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:23 am

Author Topic: JMSS 2022 Entry  (Read 110186 times)  Share 

Nerd01939

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
Re: JMSS 2022 Entry
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 10:06:18 pm »
+2
The testing dates are up on the JMSS website now (test is on June 5). Registration link:

https://aus.edutest.com.au/Parent/Landing?s=uSiOUaib5qxASJgMYMonbA%3d%3d

Good luck to ppl applying  :)

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2021, 11:56:10 am »
The testing dates are up on the JMSS website now (test is on June 5). Registration link:

https://aus.edutest.com.au/Parent/Landing?s=uSiOUaib5qxASJgMYMonbA%3d%3d

Good luck to ppl applying  :)

hi! I've been studying for the test since your post came out and I've gone through my yr. 8 science and math and my yr. 9 math as well but I'm stuck at how to practice for both of the writing tests. 🙃
Can anyone help with how to get resources for this??? The selective test that we wrote last yr for math was rlly hard... so I can't tell what simple questions mean...😓

otherwise thx! your posts rlly help.

Nerd01939

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
+1
hi! I've been studying for the test since your post came out and I've gone through my yr. 8 science and math and my yr. 9 math as well but I'm stuck at how to practice for both of the writing tests. 🙃
Can anyone help with how to get resources for this??? The selective test that we wrote last yr for math was rlly hard... so I can't tell what simple questions mean...😓

otherwise thx! your posts rlly help.

Some good ways to study for the writing (I checked what friends and classmates did):
- read some science articles and see what’s really relevant on websites like, https://www.sciencenews.org/
https://www.sciencedaily.com/news/top/science/
http://www.sci-news.com/
Go to the environmental sections bcoz that’s probably where the topics will be similar to the test.
- Pick a random issue and practice finding main points and writing short introductions and conclusions.
- see if you can find any pracs in the back of your science books (the kinds that come with the questions to base your discussion off) and make up a reasonable set of results to practice writing a discussion with.
- do the same as above but write a discussion without looking at the prompt questions and then check to see if you left anything out.

Those are the main things most ppl did. If you’re good at English anyways and get good grades in it at your school than you shouldn’t worry about it as much (but you’ll be fine either way) I just know a lot of ppl in accelerated or enhanced English didn’t bother preparing for this and got superiors.

The math is easier than the select entry exam (unanimous opinion) and the questions look similar to this:
- solve 2.6 x 7.9
- factorise x2-5x+6
- (provides triangle) what ratio is needed to find x

So really it’s not that complicated (and it’s multiple choice so it’s faster anyways).

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 07:42:05 pm »
Thx for the reply! For the math, are those the hardest questions or are they what you would see in general? What sort of questions would you expect for numerical reasoning?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thx again :)

Hellothisisme

• Forum Regular
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 10:46:21 pm »
+1
Thx for the reply! For the math, are those the hardest questions or are they what you would see in general? What sort of questions would you expect for numerical reasoning?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thx again :)
dw about it it's no inconvenience :)
yeah those questions are just generally what you see in the math - the hardest questions for me were just more complicated versions of those (simplifying harder equations etc).
The numerical reasoning questions are mostly number patterns (21, 6, 42, 8, 84, 10, ? - what is ?) and i also think there were a few random finance questions as well but its nothing where you'll need to do calculations and everyone i know finished it early.

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2021, 10:58:22 am »
Thank you so much!

bunnlol

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 09:48:14 pm »
do you know if the test for year 10 is easier than the test for selective for year 9

Hellothisisme

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 02:11:37 pm »
:) Hello, I am an applicant of JMSS Exam this year ~ I am soooo confused about how the mathematics part will turn out, can any of you give me like a ranking out of 10 for how hard it is??? for reference, please rank the mathematics exam of MHS as welllll thank u  ;)

Also, I will be grateful if you can just give me a few examples off the maths question  ;D appreciate it.

P.S. Good luck this year’s applicants! 8)
JMSS math: 4/10its really only hard coz of the time limit
MHS math: 6 or 7/10
so yeah the JMSS one is a lot easier than the MHS one and you'll probably also find the math is a little less competitive as a lot of ppl who end up getting in are good at science but not math.
The questions themselves are rlly similar to the ones on the edutest practice tests but in saying that those tests are a complete rip off and only rlly help for the math so I wouldn't recommend buying them.
A few examples:
1. *shows a graph with an arrow* what is the true bearing?
2. simplify: a-3 * 5-1/y-3
3. *provides shape with given angle* Find the value of angle x.
4. expand and simplify: (2x-1)(3x+2)(5x-1)
5. what is 9629091 expressed using scientific notation to 3 significant figures?
6. 3.29/5.6
7. Simplify √42 / √7
8. calculate the simple interest earned on an investment of $1000 at 5% p.a over 3 years. (this i know came up in the numerical reasoning as well)

yeah sorry this isn't the best for giving you examples but those questions are pretty similar to what i remember.

do you know if the test for year 10 is easier than the test for selective for year 9
the math and numerical reasoning are definitely easier but apart from that the tests are pretty different so if you find writing easy, youll find the test as a whole easier but if you find it more difficult youd find it harder. The science reasoning is rlly easy though and i wouldnt rlly bother studying for that one.
for me, yes it was easier.

Also a few ppl have messaged me about general school life stuff and whether or not it was worth going so if you do have any questions just about JMSS in general im happy to answer them :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:00:31 pm by Hellothisisme »

bunnlol

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2021, 03:30:44 pm »
do you know if the practice tests for selective on the vic website are accurate to the math and numerical reasoning for jmss

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2021, 08:06:56 am »
hi! would you most likely see balancing equations on the science reasoning test?

shadow.e.x.e

• Adventurer
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:33 am »
Hi! I am planning on doing the year 11 entry for JMSS and I have found this thread to be more then helpful so I thank all of you who have taken the time to post. My question is that how can I obtain practice tests for science skills and knowledge as I believe those are the places I need the most practice.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:44:19 am by shadow.e.x.e »

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 07:44:49 pm »
+1
My question is that how can I obtain practice tests for science skills and knowledge as I believe those are the places I need the most practice.

I believe you can try the icas papers for science. It was pretty useful.
 :)

shadow.e.x.e

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 09:51:57 am »
For anyone planning on doing the year 11 entry this year, do you guys want to make a discord server where we can discuss and generally help each other out? If there is already such a server could someone please let me know ;D

shadow.e.x.e

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2021, 02:56:09 pm »
Sorry for asking so many questions but if anyone has any science practice tests could you please send them over, it would be much appreciated  ;D

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2021, 04:37:08 pm »
Sorry for asking so many questions but if anyone has any science practice tests could you please send them over, it would be much appreciated  ;D

Hv u heard of Jayce Ballatones? His practise tests seem to be a decent price.