Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:47:58 am

Author Topic: Rejected From A Selective School  (Read 3652 times)  Share 

:) :) :)

Rejected From A Selective School
« on: September 03, 2021, 01:54:50 pm »
+2
Anyone else been rejected from a selective school?
To start off, it definitely hurts and you go through a wave of emotions. But in a while, it wouldn't matter as much.

However, in saying so, it tells you what you need to improve on and it is up to you whether or not you take it as a learning opportunity.
I, myself know that I really need to improve on timing and worded questions, which I will work towards. 
It does help you improve and you can use this experience for another chance, for me, unfortunately, it was the first and last time I could apply since I am in year 10 lol.

For people like me who don't know what to expect in the test and is their first time. I thought I will just write some tips and yeah.
It consists of, components that are 30 minutes in duration with about 60 to 80 questions, in the components.
Verbal Reasoning
Reading Comprehension
Numerical Reasoning
Mathematics

For verbal reasoning,
It is extremely helpful to write and draw things out quickly to see connections.
For example this question,
A local shopping centre is made up of a small group of shops. A bakery is four to the right of the milkbar. The newsagent is three to the right of a dental practice, which is four spots to the left of the milkbar. The post office is two shops to the left of the chemist, which is three shops left of the bakery.
You would draw this out,
Dental practice - - Newsagent - Milkbar&Newsagent - Chemist - - Bakery
Thus, the milkbar and newsagent work on the same premises.
Note: there are a lot of questions which have word x is to word y as word z is to... e.g honesty is to deception as submission is to rebellion.
There are questions where you need to find antonyms or synonyms from the given choices, and finding the words that don't resemble the rest out - odd words out sort of thing

For reading comprehension
Always read the question first to see what you need to look for from the given text.
Have a sheet of paper, writing what each paragraph is about. This makes you read the important parts for each question.
E.g. P1 - Introduction on conformity
P2 - Past studies on conformity
P3 - Results and effect on the level of conformity
P4 - Conclusion and generalizations on people today

For numerical reasoning
A lot of it is based on finding patterns. Something to remember is that patterns can be from using all, of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. These patterns can be consecutively so, each time x+10 you get another number.
Or it can even be after skipping a number
x, y, x+10, y+15, (x+10)+10, (y+15)+15, and so on.
There are also worded questions, some that may use time for example like at an athletics carnival, a race begins at 11 am takes 2 and 1/2 hours while another race starts 20min after and there would be a few more scenarios with a question to solve. For this, also remember to write things out.

For Mathematics
There are a variety of different questions, including worded questions.
But overall, remembering certain concepts is helpful.
- null factor law
- SOH CAH TOA
- linear relationships
- surds
- probability, (conditional probability)
- simultaneous equations (algebra concepts in general)
- parabolas (identifying equations from graphs, knowing the formula, what turning point, x and y-intercepts are and axis of symmetry)
- financial maths (compound interest and simple interest, percentages)
Sorry this is all I remember

I hope I was able to help someone, sadly that's all I remember from the test.
I wish everyone the best of luck :)

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Rejected From A Selective School
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 02:01:35 pm »
can relate
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

:) :) :)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 02:14:44 pm »
+1
can relate

it's sad :(
hopefully we both get over it soon

Good luck for next year Alomoac! :) I know you will smash it next year :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:17:19 pm by :) :) :) »

across35

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:25:46 pm »
+1
Just to add on it, if you are looking to get into JMSS or EBS, be ready to attend science reasoning and or science related essay writing. It will help you a lot. Wish you all good luck!!

ThatsCap

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 10:48:04 pm »
Anyone else been rejected from a selective school?
To start off, it definitely hurts and you go through a wave of emotions. But in a while, it wouldn't matter as much.

However, in saying so, it tells you what you need to improve on and it is up to you whether or not you take it as a learning opportunity.
I, myself know that I really need to improve on timing and worded questions, which I will work towards. 
It does help you improve and you can use this experience for another chance, for me, unfortunately, it was the first and last time I could apply since I am in year 10 lol.

For people like me who don't know what to expect in the test and is their first time. I thought I will just write some tips and yeah.
It consists of, components that are 30 minutes in duration with about 60 to 80 questions, in the components.
Verbal Reasoning
Reading Comprehension
Numerical Reasoning
Mathematics

For verbal reasoning,
It is extremely helpful to write and draw things out quickly to see connections.
For example this question,
A local shopping centre is made up of a small group of shops. A bakery is four to the right of the milkbar. The newsagent is three to the right of a dental practice, which is four spots to the left of the milkbar. The post office is two shops to the left of the chemist, which is three shops left of the bakery.
You would draw this out,
Dental practice - - Newsagent - Milkbar&Newsagent - Chemist - - Bakery
Thus, the milkbar and newsagent work on the same premises.
Note: there are a lot of questions which have word x is to word y as word z is to... e.g honesty is to deception as submission is to rebellion.
There are questions where you need to find antonyms or synonyms from the given choices, and finding the words that don't resemble the rest out - odd words out sort of thing

For reading comprehension
Always read the question first to see what you need to look for from the given text.
Have a sheet of paper, writing what each paragraph is about. This makes you read the important parts for each question.
E.g. P1 - Introduction on conformity
P2 - Past studies on conformity
P3 - Results and effect on the level of conformity
P4 - Conclusion and generalizations on people today

For numerical reasoning
A lot of it is based on finding patterns. Something to remember is that patterns can be from using all, of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. These patterns can be consecutively so, each time x+10 you get another number.
Or it can even be after skipping a number
x, y, x+10, y+15, (x+10)+10, (y+15)+15, and so on.
There are also worded questions, some that may use time for example like at an athletics carnival, a race begins at 11 am takes 2 and 1/2 hours while another race starts 20min after and there would be a few more scenarios with a question to solve. For this, also remember to write things out.

For Mathematics
There are a variety of different questions, including worded questions.
But overall, remembering certain concepts is helpful.
- null factor law
- SOH CAH TOA
- linear relationships
- surds
- probability, (conditional probability)
- simultaneous equations (algebra concepts in general)
- parabolas (identifying equations from graphs, knowing the formula, what turning point, x and y-intercepts are and axis of symmetry)
- financial maths (compound interest and simple interest, percentages)
Sorry this is all I remember

I hope I was able to help someone, sadly that's all I remember from the test.
I wish everyone the best of luck :)
Also, if you are doing selective exams for entry into years 10 and 11, don't expect the exams to matter too much. Sure it does play a considerable part in the selection process, but entry into years 10 and 11 is different from the basic year 9 entry where exam scores are virtually everything. In years 10 and 11, they will accept candidates who are not only academically strong but also very strong in co-curricular activities. I applied for year 10 entry this year. I attained 4 out of 4 superiors, yet still was rejected. So learn from my experience and don't spend most of your time studying for the test like I did. Try to involve yourself in sports, music, debating n stuff like that..

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:59:49 am »
Hey,

I just did a Hendersons mock exam yesterday. Got pretty good scores in most of them, with 44/60 for maths and 46/50 for verbal reasoning, and 43/50 for numerical, but did trash for reading comprehension (26/50...). I was wondering if the reading comp/verbal test for year 9 entry was easier than the Hendersons exam and whether these will be enough scores for the exam, because I heard that Hendersons is quite accurate? The writing has been removed, so there was no need to do that. What scores do you think will be necessary to score a place? Appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
Hey,

I just did a Hendersons mock exam yesterday. Got pretty good scores in most of them, with 44/60 for maths and 46/50 for verbal reasoning, and 43/50 for numerical, but did trash for reading comprehension (26/50...). I was wondering if the reading comp/verbal test for year 9 entry was easier than the Hendersons exam and whether these will be enough scores for the exam, because I heard that Hendersons is quite accurate? The writing has been removed, so there was no need to do that. What scores do you think will be necessary to score a place? Appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks

Now, I'll be honest, I have had friends who went to Hendersons, got something in the 20s for Reading Comprehension, and got an above average or a superior. Hendersons is very good and accurate, but I really advise you not to waste too much time on scores. I know the test can be intimidating, but considering that your other scores are not too bad, you should be happy. Don't think about scores all the time and make a new topic for similar posts rather than posting on random threads. The reason why you should not think about scores all the time is because it is a massive time waster. I don't want to come across in the wrong way, but it will do you no good to worry about scores. Instead, focus on improvement. You have the calibre to get in to whatever school/s you're aiming for. Just focus on reading, focus on the maths topics you don't know and keep revising as much as possible. Perhaps PM some of these users for their feedback if you need more advice.

Sanju271

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 12:23:19 am »
Hi

I am sitting test this year.

Do you or any one remember any vocabulary words from verbal reasoning test. Please share.

Thankx

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 12:14:23 pm »
Hi

I am sitting test this year.

Do you or any one remember any vocabulary words from verbal reasoning test. Please share.

Thankx

Sorry, but I personally can't. I think something that helped me was vocabulary.com. Try to find random words and learn the words of the day. It sounds weird, but trust me, half the words were there. If you go to James Ann, use the vocab at the end of the book (at least 1/3 of them came in verbal and reading) but if you don't vocab.com is pretty good imo.