Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:03:38 am

Author Topic: photosynthesis questions  (Read 1814 times)  Share 

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
photosynthesis questions
« on: October 10, 2021, 03:02:17 pm »
Hi, I have trouble understanding what happens during the light dependent and light independent stages of photosynthesis. Im trying to make some flash cards but not sure what to include really, can someone give me some guidance on what I should write for what happens during both stages? Thanks  :D

Lymphhh

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: photosynthesis questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:36:10 pm »
+2
Hi, I have trouble understanding what happens during the light dependent and light independent stages of photosynthesis. Im trying to make some flash cards but not sure what to include really, can someone give me some guidance on what I should write for what happens during both stages? Thanks  :D

Light dependant stage:

Inputs: Water, ADP + pi , NADP, sunlight ( light energy is considered a requirement not necessarily an input)
Outputs: Oxygen, ATP, NADPH

What happens?
-> Light energy is absorbed by chlorophyll in the thylakoid membrane
-> This absorbed energy is used to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. - hence oxygen is produced as a by product
-> This hydrogen is loaded on to NADP+ to form NADPH
-> The energy released from the splitting of water is also used to power the production of ATP

NADPH and ATP moves into the stroma for use in the light independant stage. Oxygen likely diffuse out of cell and into the atmosphere via stomata.

I read somewhere that light energy doesn’t exactly ‘split’ water and its much more complex process than that but VCAA words it like that so lolll. Check out VCAA 2019 2aii.

Light Indepedant stage/ Calvin cycle

Inputs: ATP, NADPH, CO2,
Outputs: ADP + pi, NADP+, glucose, water

What happens?

-> CO2 is fixed to produce glucose via the use of NADPH and ATP.
-> Additinal oxygen molecules and hydrogen ions form water as a by-product.
-> Many enzymes catalyse this process.

This is veryyy oversimplified and probably not correct. I have never seen a VCAA question that asked about the process of light independent reactions, so i don’t think it is that necessary. I’m not too sure. I think knowing the inputs and outputs of light independent stage should suffice.

Hope this is of use.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 08:37:50 pm by Lymphhh »
VCE :
2020: LOTE [40]
2021: Biology 3/4 [39 ]
2022: Chem [ ], English [ ], Physics [ ], Maths Meth [ ]