Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:47 pm

Author Topic: 1984 Related Text  (Read 5677 times)  Share 

Nius

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
1984 Related Text
« on: November 13, 2021, 10:12:54 pm »
Hey guys. I'm currently struggling to find a related text for my common module task 1 1984. What's really stumping me is finding a text that meets my questions' criteria. In short:
 - it's a multimodal task where I have to do a podcast
 - the question is "positive" whereas I think 1984 is extremely "negative". Basically, I'm supposed to talk about how texts encourage us to face against life's challenges because it gives us value as a person.

To be honest, I feel that 1984 counters this (i.e. Winston tries to fight against the Party but in the end, he submits to Big Brother). I'm thinking something along the lines of although the anti-climactic ending, Orwell does demonstrate pockets of joy and hope within Winston throughout his journey. Furthermore, Winston is identified as "the last man alive", so I am thinking about fleshing that statement out in relation to my question.

With this, are there any related text suggestions that portray an individual who faces life's challenges and thus gain value from it? I'm really struggling to find one as they all seem pretty dystopic   :-\. Also, it would be much preferred if the related text isn't too similar to 1984 i.e. another novel.

Sorry for this little rant as it's my first HSC task and I'm kind of nervous  :o. I really appreciate your help!

Nius

• Fresh Poster
Re: 1984 Related Text
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 10:15:03 pm »
Oops sorry. It has come to my attention that I have accidentally posted this in the English Extension 1 forum! I apologise for any inconvenience.  :'(

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 10:54:55 pm »
+1
Hi Nius,
Want to just put in a disclaimer: I'm a VCE student so I don't know very much about how HSC English works.

However, I am a lit buff and big Orwell fan. When I was reading about what sort of text you were looking for a couple came to mind:
- Emily Dickinson's No Rack Can Torture Me
A bit of an odd choice, but definitely a positive and uplifting poem. I think it could work well as it supports the notion that external control cannot harm the soul and an internal desire for freedom.

- The Crucible
Another odd one but there is clear manipulation of facts and information; and overreach of governing power. Perhaps not quite as positive but focusing on the enormous character strength required to resist such pressure could lead to an uplifting intepretation?

-Fitzgerald's The Road Not Taken
"I took the one less traveled by,/ And that has made all the difference." Resistance, freeing oneself from what is expected, not adhering to the norm, making a bold and difficult choice.

- Sylvia Plath's "The Arrival of The Bee Box"
Another poem about control, dictatorships and the nature of power.

- The Giver by Lois Lowry
Though this is a dystopian novel, which is the opposite of what you were hoping for, it is quite different to 1984. The importance of remembering the past when fighting against totalitarianism, as seen in 1984, is reinforced by the prominent role of The Giver. Furthermore, sexual repression is seen in both texts, another parallel that could be explored.

Hope this is enough ideas to get you started!

Nius

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 12:19:26 pm »
+1
Hi Caffinatedloz,

Thanks so much for these suggestions! They give me much more aspects to explore  :). Thanks a lot for the mini-descriptions about each text too. I greatly appreciate it ;D