Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:30 am

Author Topic: A few questions about MGHS year 10 entry  (Read 2578 times)  Share 

Lithium0412

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
A few questions about MGHS year 10 entry
« on: December 09, 2021, 06:26:57 pm »
Hi everyone;)
I applied for the MGHS year 9 entry and sadly I was advised that I failed the test yesterday (I know there are late offers however I don't really want myself to be stuck in regret :)). So I have heard of the year 10 entry and its concomitant requirements such as certificates indicating your academic achievements and extra-curricular things. So for the academic achievement aspect, do you have to participate in competitions like ICAS and AMC? If yes, what kind of grade is acceptable? Unfortunately I haven't done them before so these tests are a bit confusing for me especially the science one (ICAS). Also what is really considered as 'high-achieving' for things like instrumental music, leadership and athletics? And lastly, what is the level of difficulty of the year 10 exam?
It would be great if anyone can give me some advice :D I would really appreciate all your responses!!

Selective User

• Forum Regular
Re: A few questions about MGHS year 10 entry
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 06:54:39 pm »
Hi,

I haven’t done the year 10 exam, but just got in for the year 9 one. While studying for it, I read about the year 10 stuff as well in case it comes up or if I fail. For year 10, you need to be good in something or another and do something extracurricular/socially. For example, if you play cricket at a high level and have won some debating comps, piano auditions or something along those lines, and you do reasonably well in the test, then you may well get a place (but there are very limited spots so this may not be 100% true). For the 4 selective school tests in year 10, I believe the format and number of question is the same but the caliber will be much harder.

However, I wouldn’t advise to do this, as there are science schools up such as EBSS and JMSS. Another user named Di.dact has siaid this about the format:

Science Schools
EBSS Year 10-11(Individual guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=176822.0)
5 Tests:
1.   Mathematics [60 questions, 30min]
2.   Science Reasoning [15 questions, 30min]
3.   Verbal Reasoning [50 questions, 30min]
4.   Reading Comprehension [40-50 questions, 30min]
5.   Essay about how EBSS can help you [15min]

JMSS Year 9-10
5 Tests:
5.   Science Writeup Report [15min] (I think there were 2 writeups when applying in year 9)

You don’t have to do any ICAS or AMC tests, but doing them and having good results will certainly boost your chances in the year 10 interview.

This is what Di.dact said about availability and requiments:

Year 10
250 available spots. 
Total Applicants: 1200 (200 NHS, 800 JMSS, 200 SCHS, MHS ??, MGHS ??)

Spots available;
Boys:
MHS - 20-25
NHS - 5
SCHS - 5?
JMSS -100

Girls:
MGHS - 20-25?? (not sure) 
NHS - 5
SCHS - 5?
JMSS - 100

Requirements:
At least 3 superiors for the 4 selective schools (very limited spots, I only got 2 and was not able to make top 10). JMSS needs to have at least 1 superior and able to do well in the interview.

I’m not really sure about any of the standards you have to meet or the exact level of difficulty. Watch some of Jayce Batallones’ videos about the selective 3xam, JMSS and EBSS, he is very helpful and provides great detail and I practically got my content checklist from him.

Hope this helps and thanks Di.dact, not me, lol

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:04:14 pm »
From my experiences at MHS, year 10 entrance is strongly based on your well-roundedness and community service. Unless you're a state level musician/performer, or state level athlete, it won't do much in an application in it of itself. The selection panel from memory seems to focus more on your embodiment of the ethos of the school and how involved you are in co-curricular activities, which I assume would be the same case for MGHS year 10 entrance.

If you're aiming for year 10 entrance next year I'd suggest getting some club activities and community service/volunteering under your belt, and get involved in some bands/sports at school. The intake for MHS year 10 this year weren't let in because of their academics but their strong involvement in sports/music/more. I think competitions don't do anything unless you're one of the best in the state/nation. The exam is also much less competitive than year 9, making a stronger emphasis on application and interview.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:06:38 pm by The Progenitor »

Lithium0412

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 08:56:58 pm »
Hi,

I haven’t done the year 10 exam, but just got in for the year 9 one. While studying for it, I read about the year 10 stuff as well in case it comes up or if I fail. For year 10, you need to be good in something or another and do something extracurricular/socially. For example, if you play cricket at a high level and have won some debating comps, piano auditions or something along those lines, and you do reasonably well in the test, then you may well get a place (but there are very limited spots so this may not be 100% true). For the 4 selective school tests in year 10, I believe the format and number of question is the same but the caliber will be much harder.

However, I wouldn’t advise to do this, as there are science schools up such as EBSS and JMSS. Another user named Di.dact has siaid this about the format:

Science Schools
EBSS Year 10-11(Individual guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=176822.0)
5 Tests:
5.   Essay about how EBSS can help you [15min]

JMSS Year 9-10
5 Tests:
5.   Science Writeup Report [15min] (I think there were 2 writeups when applying in year 9)

You don’t have to do any ICAS or AMC tests, but doing them and having good results will certainly boost your chances in the year 10 interview.

This is what Di.dact said about availability and requiments:

Year 10
250 available spots. 
Total Applicants: 1200 (200 NHS, 800 JMSS, 200 SCHS, MHS ??, MGHS ??)

Spots available;
Boys:
MHS - 20-25
NHS - 5
SCHS - 5?
JMSS -100

Girls:
MGHS - 20-25?? (not sure) 
NHS - 5
SCHS - 5?
JMSS - 100

Requirements:
At least 3 superiors for the 4 selective schools (very limited spots, I only got 2 and was not able to make top 10). JMSS needs to have at least 1 superior and able to do well in the interview.

I’m not really sure about any of the standards you have to meet or the exact level of difficulty. Watch some of Jayce Batallones’ videos about the selective 3xam, JMSS and EBSS, he is very helpful and provides great detail and I practically got my content checklist from him.

Hope this helps and thanks Di.dact, not me, lol

Thank you sooo much for providing this wonderful advice for me (as well as Di.dact of course!) They are truly helpful!
TBH I actually decided to make the year 10 entry a standard of examining myself rather than an obligatory task.
Anyway, thanks again for your help! :D

Lithium0412

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 09:02:37 pm »
From my experiences at MHS, year 10 entrance is strongly based on your well-roundedness and community service. Unless you're a state level musician/performer, or state level athlete, it won't do much in an application in it of itself. The selection panel from memory seems to focus more on your embodiment of the ethos of the school and how involved you are in co-curricular activities, which I assume would be the same case for MGHS year 10 entrance.

If you're aiming for year 10 entrance next year I'd suggest getting some club activities and community service/volunteering under your belt, and get involved in some bands/sports at school. The intake for MHS year 10 this year weren't let in because of their academics but their strong involvement in sports/music/more. I think competitions don't do anything unless you're one of the best in the state/nation. The exam is also much less competitive than year 9, making a stronger emphasis on application and interview.

Thanks a lot for your help! It really gives me insight into the test. And yes I will endeavour to do what you have suggested. Thanks again :D

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 05:21:39 pm »
Hi everyone;)
I applied for the MGHS year 9 entry and sadly I was advised that I failed the test yesterday (I know there are late offers however I don't really want myself to be stuck in regret :)). So I have heard of the year 10 entry and its concomitant requirements such as certificates indicating your academic achievements and extra-curricular things. So for the academic achievement aspect, do you have to participate in competitions like ICAS and AMC? If yes, what kind of grade is acceptable? Unfortunately I haven't done them before so these tests are a bit confusing for me especially the science one (ICAS). Also what is really considered as 'high-achieving' for things like instrumental music, leadership and athletics? And lastly, what is the level of difficulty of the year 10 exam?
It would be great if anyone can give me some advice :D I would really appreciate all your responses!!

You need to well-rounded and need to have some sort of music/sport/leadership experience. This doesn't mean join all sorts of clubs in your current school or go find some random interest you never had before, but you need to have done that extra-curricular activity for a while OR you need to be really proficient in it. As for the exam, I have heard that it is really really easy and is easier than the year 9 entry exam. You won't have to do the ICAS exam or AMC exam and if you do, they won't care. If you pass next year's exam, then that already proves that you are fine academically and so they won't pay much attention to that. Now The Progenitor said that from what he heard, you need to be a state-level musician or athlete but I'm pretty sure that even if you're not state level, as long as you are competent enough, you can get in. If you have tons of experience in something that's not competed for at a regional, state or national level, don't stress as all that means is that you need to prove yourself. Also, if you passionately indulge in a form of community service, then you have a higher chance of making the cut. Good luck for next year and I hope you make it!

Lithium0412

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 09:06:39 am »
Thank you everyone for your help!
I just got a second round offer. Anyway, I hope this forum can help someone else;)

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 10:53:31 am »
That's amazing! I am still waiting to see if I get a second-round offer ;/

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 03:22:02 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help!
I just got a second round offer. Anyway, I hope this forum can help someone else;)

Nice job for hefting a second round offer? Which schools?

Lithium0412

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 04:44:02 pm »
Nice job for hefting a second round offer? Which schools?
It's MGHS