Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:34 am

Author Topic: Methods 2023 Study Design  (Read 4533 times)  Share 

Phie

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Methods 2023 Study Design
« on: February 16, 2022, 07:23:44 pm »
Hi all

If somebody could please summarise the changes for Methods 3/4 that would be very much appreciated.

For convenience, below is a PDF version of the new study design.
VCE Class of 2024
2023: Methods | Psychology
2024:

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Methods 2023 Study Design
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 10:02:13 pm »
+2
I haven't read the whole thing personally, but something added into 3/4 methods is the addition of pseudocode. This is interesting but also rather odd to be adding in imo 🤔
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 10:53:48 pm »
+2
I can’t guarantee it’s accuracy, but there is some information on the draft version here: https://vicmathsnotes.weebly.com/2023-draft-content.html

I haven't read the whole thing personally, but something added into 3/4 methods is the addition of pseudocode. This is interesting but also rather odd to be adding in imo 🤔

It does seem strange, but it sounds interesting - I wish we learnt this!
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

Phie

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 02:05:30 pm »
+3
Changes to VCE Mathematical Methods Study Design

Units 1:
→ Matrix representation of transformations may be used but are not required.
→ Non-function relations removed and use of vertical line test to determine whether a graph is a function also removed
→ Expansion of \(\left(x+a\right)^n\) removed.

Units 2:
→ First principles removed
→ Central difference approximations added

Units 3 and 4:
→ Matrix representation of transformations removed
→ Simple functional relations such as \(f\left(x+k\right)=f\left(x\right)\), \(f\left(x^n\right)=nf\left(x\right)\), \(f\left(x\right)+f\left(-x\right)=0\), \(f\left(xy\right)=f\left(x\right)f\left(y\right)\) removed
→ \(f\:\circ \:g\) notation required
→ Approximation of area under a curve using rectangles removed
→ Approximation of area under a curve using trapeziums added

Other changes:
⭐ Computational thinking and algorithms added, this includes:
→ The role of computational thinking (abstraction, decomposition, pattern and algorithm) in problem-solving, and its application to mathematical investigation
→ Use computational thinking, algorithms, models and simulations to solve problems related to a given context
→ Key elements of algorithm design, including sequencing, decision-making and repetition, and representations of the ordered steps for an algorithm including through the use of pseudocode. 
→ The purpose and effect of sequencing, decision-making and repetition statements on relevant functionalities of technology, and their role in the design of algorithms and simulations
→ Apply a range of analytical, graphical and numerical processes (including the algorithm for Newton’s method)

Contribution to final assessment:
→ 20% for Exam 1 (previously was 22%)
→ 40% for Exam 2 (previously was 44%)

It does seem strange, but it sounds interesting - I wish we learnt this!
This is the main thing I think teachers, and students are concerned about. I wonder how pseudocode will even be examined...
If I forgot to add anything to this summary of changes, please let me know and if anyone has any useful resources pertaining algorithms and pseudocode - it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them!  :)

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on these changes as well, do you think it will have an effect on scaling? Do you think these are improvements or just trivial amendments?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 02:10:44 pm by Phie »
VCE Class of 2024
2023: Methods | Psychology
2024:

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 02:39:48 pm »
Honestly, the coding part seems a bit scary. I missed this study design by a smidge hehe.
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)