Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:02:18 pm

Author Topic: How To Make Chemistry Interesting?  (Read 1598 times)  Share 

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
How To Make Chemistry Interesting?
« on: April 05, 2022, 09:21:01 am »
+3
Hey all,

I'm currently completing units 3/4 of chem and I've got to say, it is extremely boring. At the moment we are doing equilibriums and I am struggling to stay awake in class. I am able to drop the class without it affecting my uni plans but does it get more interesting, can I make it more interesting or should I just drop it?
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: How To Make Chemistry Interesting?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 12:13:37 pm »
+3
Hey all,

I'm currently completing units 3/4 of chem and I've got to say, it is extremely boring. At the moment we are doing equilibriums and I am struggling to stay awake in class. I am able to drop the class without it affecting my uni plans but does it get more interesting, can I make it more interesting or should I just drop it?
Hey,

Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying chem atm!

Have there been any parts of chem that you have enjoyed so far including in 1&2?

I didn't really enjoy some parts of chem either (looking at fuels and analytical techniques haha), but personally I'm glad I stuck with it because I found Unit 4 a lot more interesting and applicable to real life, and now I'm doing it at uni, even though that wasn't the initial plan. You learn about organic chemistry in the context of food and the human body, so if you're interested in those things, you might enjoy chem more.

However, if you hate chem now, looked at the study design for Unit 4, the textbook and your school's resources, and decided that none of it interests you, and it has little to do with what you want to do at uni, it might be a good idea to drop chem and have one less subject on your plate. Also, it might be up to your school as well if you can drop a subject. If you can't drop it, you could treated it as a 'bludge'. I have a friend who did eight subjects in their VCE, and they just ended up doing the bare minimum for a subject that they didn't enjoy and didn't need for uni, so this could also be an option. In saying that, if you're doing well in chem, it could be good to keep it for your ATAR, but it's really up to you if that benefit outweighs the negatives.

Good luck. Keep us updated! :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Re: How To Make Chemistry Interesting?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 09:00:45 am »
Hey,

Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying chem atm!

Have there been any parts of chem that you have enjoyed so far including in 1&2?

I didn't really enjoy some parts of chem either (looking at fuels and analytical techniques haha), but personally I'm glad I stuck with it because I found Unit 4 a lot more interesting and applicable to real life, and now I'm doing it at uni, even though that wasn't the initial plan. You learn about organic chemistry in the context of food and the human body, so if you're interested in those things, you might enjoy chem more.

However, if you hate chem now, looked at the study design for Unit 4, the textbook and your school's resources, and decided that none of it interests you, and it has little to do with what you want to do at uni, it might be a good idea to drop chem and have one less subject on your plate. Also, it might be up to your school as well if you can drop a subject. If you can't drop it, you could treated it as a 'bludge'. I have a friend who did eight subjects in their VCE, and they just ended up doing the bare minimum for a subject that they didn't enjoy and didn't need for uni, so this could also be an option. In saying that, if you're doing well in chem, it could be good to keep it for your ATAR, but it's really up to you if that benefit outweighs the negatives.

Good luck. Keep us updated! :)

The areas I don't like are similar to yours, I felt like fuel cells and galvanic cells could have been more interesting but... they just weren't. I am also doing 8 subjects but for the past two years I though Chem would be one of my main subjects and one that I would be trying hard to get a good score in as I was looking at Bachelors of Science. However I have physics and I think that still counts as a prerequisite?
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics