Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:35 am

Author Topic: What do I need to study to get into Melbourne High?  (Read 37716 times)  Share 

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
What do I need to study to get into Melbourne High?
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »
Hey guys,
Im Just wondering, How to get into Melbourne High. But, I guess the year is over and I cant make it into Melbourne High at year 9. But fortuantely, There is a year 10 Assesment.
So, What do I have to learn about to get into Melbourne High at a year 10 Level? Because I read on the website that only 28 Students are chosen to get in the school. If any of you can help me, Id appreciated.  ;D Thank you.
Qwazz
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:44:22 am by Qwazz »
'15-'17: B. Computer Science @ Swinburne

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: What do I need to study to get into Melbourne High?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »
I know several people who entered in year 10. We're not privy into what you need to study - or the entry criteria - however I can make a generalisation!

For the most part, you need to do a sport. Several of the people who entered in year 10 for my cohort now play state-level Waterpolo, or high-level cricket, etc. It's not necessary, though, but they definitely look favourably towards it. Actually, I'll contradict that and say you need to be involved in co-curricular activities - you need to be able to demonstrate what you can offer to the school. Smarts are not enough! Scouts, sports, volunteer work - this is all good in the eyes of our school.

In terms of academics (I'm pretty sure you have to sit a test as well as the interview) English is definitely looked at as more important than mathematic capability; when I entered in year 9, I was in the top 1% of the people who sat the tests in English, but I was in the bottom of all entrants for Maths. I got straight in, not even on 'principal's discretion'. Alternatively, my brother failed to get into MHS this year and he was in the top 1% for maths and in the lower-middle for English. So work on your English! Essay writing is very important to get in.

If you fail to get into MHS for year 10, you can enter in in year 11 and even year 12 is possible - I wish you luck!

Any more questions, just ask~
2013: Wizardry, life.

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »
Hey guys,
Im Just wondering, How to get into Melbourne High. But, I guess the year is over and I cant make it into Melbourne High at year 9. But fortuantely, There is a year 10 Assesment.
So, What do I have to learn about to get into Melbourne High at a year 10 Level? Because I read on the website that only 28 Students are chosen to get in the school. If any of you can help me, Id appreciated.  ;D Thank you.
Xuanson

1) register to sit the entrance exam for year 10 (i believe the entrance exam for year 10 is similar to the year 9 one)
2) practice your verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning skills by doing practice questions from the 'basis skills' series books by Peter Howard, and Jim Coroneos. Practice writing analytical and creative essays in less than 15 minutes
3) pass the entrance exam
4) write a good application
5) pass the interview (if you have a brother who used to go to mhs, mention that. also, tell them about your extra curricular activities and academic achievements etc)
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »
I know several people who entered in year 10. We're not privy into what you need to study - or the entry criteria - however I can make a generalisation!

For the most part, you need to do a sport. Several of the people who entered in year 10 for my cohort now play state-level Waterpolo, or high-level cricket, etc. It's not necessary, though, but they definitely look favourably towards it. Actually, I'll contradict that and say you need to be involved in co-curricular activities - you need to be able to demonstrate what you can offer to the school. Smarts are not enough! Scouts, sports, volunteer work - this is all good in the eyes of our school.

In terms of academics (I'm pretty sure you have to sit a test as well as the interview) English is definitely looked at as more important than mathematic capability; when I entered in year 9, I was in the top 1% of the people who sat the tests in English, but I was in the bottom of all entrants for Maths. I got straight in, not even on 'principal's discretion'. Alternatively, my brother failed to get into MHS this year and he was in the top 1% for maths and in the lower-middle for English. So work on your English! Essay writing is very important to get in.

If you fail to get into MHS for year 10, you can enter in in year 11 and even year 12 is possible - I wish you luck!

how did you know you were top 1% ? did you mean top 11%?
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:00:10 pm »
Also, if your deseperate, lie about your credentials. Like, say, if your brother is a black belt at tae kwon do, just take a picture of the medals and sya its yours, or if your brother/sister is a High distinction or state wide level in chess/igo, then take a picture of those certificates and claim it is yours. Or ask your best mates or something for their awards and claim it is yours.

Just a trick if your deseperate and want to get in. Having said that, once you get in, they won't careless if your a state wide kid or just a avg student, The point is, your part of MHS ;x.

I"m not a MHS kid, but that is a trick that u cud use :D
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »
+1

how did you know you were top 1% ? did you mean top 11%?

It's top 11%? O_o. That doesn't sound right. Oh well.
Try to come across as warm and confident, which is not easy but essential if your putting forward a 'leadership quality' side to your application.
Also don't quote me on the academic excellence thing, i think i may be wrong about that (you may need extra cocurricular as iamtom said)

OH YES! THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT!

Leadership qualities are what year 10 entrants usually emphasise. Past entrants have been house captains, sports captains, leaders of clubs, and well-recognised people throughout the school - and there's only been a year 10 entrant cohort for like, 2-3 years.
Also, if your deseperate, lie about your credentials. Like, say, if your brother is a black belt at tae kwon do, just take a picture of the medals and sya its yours, or if your brother/sister is a High distinction or state wide level in chess/igo, then take a picture of those certificates and claim it is yours. Or ask your best mates or something for their awards and claim it is yours.

Just a trick if your deseperate and want to get in. Having said that, once you get in, they won't careless if your a state wide kid or just a avg student, The point is, your part of MHS ;x.

I"m not a MHS kid, but that is a trick that u cud use :D

Not a good idea. You'll be placed on the TKD team, and you won't know shit about TKD. Definitely not a good idea.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
A few years back, 3 students in same year level as me moved from my school (CGS - Camberwell Grammar) to MHS. As far as I'm aware, they showed their grades/assessments to MHS from the previous year and had an interview as well. They were accepted on that basis; there are various other ways of getting in. I can ask for you if you want, I believe they still go to MHS. Also, if you want to get in, play a sport or something. MHS's Water-polo team are filled with state players; I know one of the students who got accepted was pretty good at Water-polo/swimming in addition to having strong academic ability.

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
Using Waterpolo as a way to get in was once a good way - the Registrar of the school was also an avid waterpolo player.

Not sure whom it is now, however.

iNerd

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »
Using Waterpolo as a way to get in was once a good way - the Registrar of the school was also an avid waterpolo player.

Not sure whom it is now, however.
The Registrar was also my History teacher. Go figure.

Oh and I got in with 5 too Bazza :P :P
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:17:14 pm by ATAR »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:47:51 pm »
Sport is seriously the most important and the school already has ~30 A.Mus/L.Mus level musicians. However, academic intelligence is taken into consideration. If you AMC awards, ICAS achievements, etc. they'll all count in your favour.

Volunteering and community work is also taken highly into consideration. Leadership, debating, cadets and public speaking also go down well. If you able to work well with others and lead well, then you should have written proof of it!

Unlike Water recommended, I would highly advise you not to lie. For example, if you say you are state badminton (although MHS has ~5 per year level) and then don't make it into to Badminton A team (...through trials), then they'll know something is up.

Sports that I would recommend to be good at (ie state level or above): soccer, Australian rules football, waterpolo, athletics  , orienteering, swimming, martial arts, fencing, rowing and sailing. The 'Asian' sports like table tennis and bady are already filled with national/state players. Cricket also has state players.

Practice your verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning skills by doing practice questions from the 'basis skills' series books by Peter Howard, and Jim Coroneos. Practice writing analytical and creative essays in less than 15 minutes
These are the same books I used and I recommend them. They are very effective, for example, I got top 11% in everything but verbal reasoning ( :( ).

Remember, you MUST HAVE WRITTEN PROOF OF EVERYTHING! Certificates, printed pictures of medals, etc. If you just talk yourself up for the whole time, then things are not going to go down to well, try and show a bit of modesty. MHS have enough arrongance as it is.

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:36 pm »
We need another state fencer.

I get lonely sometimes.

Although Vealey won't leave me alone for it. I refuse to join the school team, thus avoiding being photographed for Unicorn 8D.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »
We need another state fencer.

I get lonely sometimes.

I never knew you were a state fencer! :o

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »
All i know is we know have

BOBBY CHENG

TO CARRY CHESS CLUB TO GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Right... To get into MHS yr10, unless I was being unclear, the sports I was referring to (if you want to get in through sports) must be *real sports*.  :P

MHS does not usually pride itself in chess (sometimes MHS wins stuff), mainly because they get owned in exchanges and by Scotch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:39:39 pm by Rohitpi »

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:27:10 pm »
Basically, you gotta be good at something, they use the Year 10 entry to boost the athletic performance of the school, choosing people primarily for academic ability is scarce

Or be incredibly annoying and pull off a good fluky interview

sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »
mate told the principal that he was the 2nd best rugby player in sri lanka, and got in. Got a decent 97/98 ATAR too, so somewhat made a contribution to the median anyway :)
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.