Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:42 pm

Author Topic: Does anyone have a sammy apllication to write for Melbourne high Year 10?  (Read 10945 times)  Share 

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Hey guys, Im back for another question.
For Melbourne High year 10, Does anyone have a sample application that is good enough for a place, or somewhere near that :D,
Because i dont really know what to write in an application.
Thanks guys,

Qwazz
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:44:51 am by Qwazz »
'15-'17: B. Computer Science @ Swinburne

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
You need to tell them why you wan't to go to melbourne high, how it will let you excel/benefit, and stuff like that.

If you can't think of what to write, according to the system you should not be there :P
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
You need to tell them why you wan't to go to melbourne high, how it will let you excel/benefit, and stuff like that.

If you can't think of what to write, according to the system you should not be there :P

It makes sense.

Hutchoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Mate.
  • Respect: +218

It makes sense.
Yeah... wth, son.

I talked about the values etc I have... family influence and what not.
Mind you, I didn't get in :P

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
This http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

and a 20 should do

But really mate, if you can't think of what to write, and I'm sure you can, you shouldn't be there.

Why do you want to be there? What do you want to do? How is going to Melbourne High going to help you do this? Why should we pick you over all the others?

Don't waffle, they're going to have to read shit like "I have commitment and willingness" All the damn time, think of a way that makes you unique, and if you can't, well bad luck.
sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376

It makes sense.

But really mate, if you can't think of what to write, and I'm sure you can, you shouldn't be there.

I think those are a bit harsh... And I bet loads of MHS kids only go there in the yr9 intake due to pushy parents anyway. So I disagree with you guys there.

Somewhere in the application though, use the words (obviously in a flowing sentence): 'more than just marks' (the admin love the phrase)
eg. What I hope to gain through my secondary experience is more than just marks, and I believe MHS can provide me with this. My aim is to become, not only a well educated individual, but also one who can contribute positively to the community in a broad range of areas as a well-rounded individual... etc

(tempted to write more, but it should be about you, not some generic stuff. Although a few generic lines to 'suck up' to the admins never hurts)

Good luck with it :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:10:35 pm by Rohitpi »

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
Btw, aim to get A+ in your reports and hope that you are not a "Jack Of All Trades" and  Master of none, cause that was me, I failed of course, and make sure your application stands out, like WOW FACTOR.

Mine was along the lines of

"The culture of excellence that Melbourne High manifests is admirable and inspiring to students striving for success...."

Didn't work out so well <<< Don't make a generic applications like mine. You need to exceed your "average- above average level applications," cause your competing against the creme of the crop.  

So yeah, A+ reports, and some awesome co curricular activities, cause they got enough intellectual "Rohitpis" in their school.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:24:04 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
This is from the MHS site:
Selection Criteria
Application for entry to Melbourne High School at Year 10 is assessed against the following three criteria:

1. Academic Achievement
Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of outstanding academic achievement at secondary school level.

2. Co-curricula Achievement
Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate significant achievement in one or more areas of co-curricula involvement such as sport, music, debating, performing arts.

3. School and Community Leadership
Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of leadership at secondary school level or within the broader community. It is expected that applicants can demonstrate a high level of achievement against each criterion, however applicants are still considered where this is not the case.

Guidelines for Written Application
Your written application must contain:

1. A Personal Statement
This should be a hand written A4 page which should detail the reasons why you are seeking enrolment at Melbourne High School and why you feel you should be selected. Other factors relevant to your application may also be included.

2. Response to the Selection Criteria
This must be submitted on the required Application Form. You should detail and describe evidence of your achievement against each criterion.

3. Supporting Documentation
You should include sufficient material to validate all information included in your selection criteria response or personal statement. All applicants must include a complete set of their Year 8 end of year and Year 9 semester one, or end of term 2 school reports. Photocopies of original documents only should be submitted.Other factors which may be considered include:

Short or long term disadvantage or hardship, which may have impacted on your educational opportunities.
Previous family connections to the School.

So make sure you address each of those points in your application (especially underlined areas)!

This is the the application form from last year. So have a practice go! (I have attached it to this post too in case they remove it)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:49:25 pm by Rohitpi »