Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:16 pm

Author Topic: Melbourne High Criteria  (Read 9340 times)  Share 

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Melbourne High Criteria
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
Hey guys, Its me again.
I have many more questions for you guys to answer about Melbourne High (It's so exiciting!). Im going to have a very BIG post for this one. Because there are so many questions for me to ask you guys.

So, The scenario is: I am a Year 9 Student, Currently at Gilson College in Melbourne. And I would like to apply for an entrance assesment for Melbourne High. But there are a few problems. There is a criteria on the Melbounre High website that says I have to oblige these outlines or else I will not be successful for my application. So there are guidelines I have to follow.

Firstly, There is a selection procedure.

Selection Procedure
There are three components of the Year 10 Selection Process.

1. Academic Ability Assessment

All applicants are required to sit the Year 10 Academic Ability Assessment. This is conducted on behalf of the School by EduTest. Unlike Year 9 entry this assessment is not be used as the key indicator of academic achievement nor as the main determinant of offers.

2. Written Application

All applicants are required to submit a written application, which can be downloaded by clicking here, to include a statement of achievement against the Selection Criteria, supporting documentation and a single A4 page Personal Statement. All applications are assessed by a School selection panel against the required criteria.

3. Interview

All short-listed applicants are interviewed by a School selection panel. Following interviews, the selection panel ranks all short-listed applicants and positions are offered by the School strictly according to this rank order.

Alright, So I understand that Academic Ability Assesment would require a 'Pop Quiz' that I have to attend to apply for my enrolment. But The Written Application part and the Interview, I have no clue what to do for both of these tasks. I know what to write, but I don't know "How" to write the application. And for the interview I don't think I would know what to say.

Secondly, There is the Selection Criteria

Selection Criteria

Application for entry to Melbourne High School at Year 10 is assessed against the following three criteria:

1. Academic Achievement

Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of outstanding academic achievement at secondary school level.

2. Co-curricula Achievement

Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate significant achievement in one or more areas of co-curricula involvement such as sport, music, debating, performing arts.

3. School and Community Leadership

Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate a record of leadership at secondary school level or within the broader community.It is expected that applicants can demonstrate a high level of achievement against each criterion, however applicants are still considered where this is not the case.

Okay, So I know both what the Academic Achievement and Co-curricula Achievement means. But, School and Community Leadership. I dont understand what that means at all. I know that the Academic Achievement says that I would have to should outstanding results of excellence in knowledge, I also know that the Co-curricular Achievement tells me that I would need show a significant level of any co-curricualar activities (Which is Music:Piano, And Sports:Volleyball (Its Interschool Sports at school), Karate(Instructor). Other than that, I dont know what the School and Community Leadership is. So There another question.

Finally, There is the Guidelines for the Written Application.

Guidelines for Written Application

Your written application must contain:

1. A Personal Statement

This should be a hand written A4 page which should detail the reasons why you are seeking enrolment at Melbourne High School and why you feel you should be selected. Other factors relevant to your application may also be included.

2. Response to the Selection Criteria

This must be submitted on the required Application Form. You should detail and describe evidence of your achievement against each criterion.

3. Supporting Documentation

You should include sufficient material to validate all information included in your selection criteria response or personal statement. All applicants must include a complete set of their Year 8 end of year and Year 9 semester one, or end of term 2 school reports. Photocopies of original documents only should be submitted.Other factors which may be considered include:
•Short or long term disadvantage or hardship, which may have impacted on your educational opportunities.
•Previous family connections to the School.

Alright then, Now I don't understand what any of those mean. So Its saying I should write up an application for the school to read. But I dont know How to write the application. So, I would need help on writting why I'd like to get in, The evidence of the achievment and the Reponse to the Selection Criteria. Please I will need everybody's help in this forum. That is it. Three BIG Questions. And they are:

1. What should I include in my written application? (And any tips on how to write the applicatoin better for a higher chance of success?)
2. What should I mention/say on the intervew day?
3. How do I show School and Community Leadership? And What is it?

Please help me, I would appreciate all your help.
Qwazz

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:45:24 am by Qwazz »
'15-'17: B. Computer Science @ Swinburne

Dr.Lecter

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
Re: Melbourne High Criteria
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »
I am a Year 9 Student

too late and too hard to get in for year 10 and 11
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

iNerd

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »
Don't listen to Dr Lecter - 28 ppl get into Year 10, you could easily be one of them.

However I'm not going to do your work for you - you should prove why you should be there using your own cerebal cortex.

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:13 pm »
Im not telling you to do the work for me. I just need help I dont understand

iNerd

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »
Im not telling you to do the work for me. I just need help I dont understand
Part of the work is understanding basic instructions...and simple comprehension.

What is leadership? Um school capation, house captain, mentor, camp leader...etc.

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »
Don't listen to Dr Lecter - 28 ppl get into Year 10, you could easily be one of them.

However I'm not going to do your work for you - you should prove why you should be there using your own cerebal cortex.

LoL at cerebel cortex.

PS: If you fail, think about this way, at least you won't be in a school full of sausages.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:49:19 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

iNerd

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »

LoL at cerebel cortex.

PS: If you fail, think about this way, at least you won't be in a school full of sausages.
Just to clarify, I +1 the first statement.

I dislike the second.

MHS>UHS

:P

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »
Takes me  3-4mins (depends how slow/fast) I walk to Melbourne University, to buy me a $2.00 Pizza Slice or 8-9 dollar Large Pizza or $5.00 Pasta or $5.00 Noodle Soup.

Yeah, I thought so  ;D.
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »
+1
Oh god I hate UHS kids who come through our campus and food court lol

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:06 pm »
what have you done to help your school/society/anyone ?

what will you get out of mhs that you wont get at your other school ?

what can you do for mhs?

--------------------------

Can't answer them? then I don't think you will get in

vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
the main question to answer is: how will you contribute to the school?
So basically, your co-curricular report/list/evidence needs to be super impressive.
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »
In Year 10, it's quite hard in that you'd generally need to be skilled in a co-curricular field, or at the very least make them feel like you would add something extra to the cohort. They don't want more people that want little more than to honour the work, they want more.

Get some mongrel into ya, think where you would be without MHS entry, and why you feel it's important for you to be there.

Good luck.
sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

Qwazz

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:53 am »
Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it :D

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »
Why the heck does your sig look like waters ? :L you related?
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:25 pm »
Holy shit, it does :O? I have a padawan!
About Philosophy