VCE Stuff > Victorian Technical Score Discussion

Grade distrubution vs study score

(1/2) > >>

Galvanic Cell:
Hello,
I have been reading the revolutions grade distrubutions from 2009,
( http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vcaa/vce/statistics/2009/section3/vce_history_revolutions_ga09.pdf )
i dont really know how to read this...but from what i gather...it is indicating a C+ for the exam correlates to a study score of 30?
is this correct, or am i reading it wrong?...

_avO:
The median indicates an SS of 30

So if the median is a B+, then 50% of people get less then a Mid B+ (roughly) and 50% of people get higher then a Mid B+

In exams the median will be a C+ because they make the distribution so that the median is exactly C+ (this is where they determine how many marks the average was [and hence why the cutoff for an A+ is always changing] and thus that is the median, i.e. C+)

From the information provided, you will need a B+ B+ C+ for a rough SS of 30

Hope this helps. :)

pirocan1:
So a C+ isnt a representation of the mark u got on your exam? Its more of a percentile ranking?

lol confusing. :s

_avO:
Yes it does represent the mark you got, but firstly the VCAA must determine everyone's marks and put it on this distribution, and thus allocates a letter grade to each range of marks

For example a C+ for Accounting requires 89-110 out of 180 which is 49%-61% on the exam but
                 a C+ for Chemistry requires 84-98 out of 150 which is 56%-65% on the exam.

This is due to the level of difficulty in Accounting which overall, students found harder then that of Chemistry and hence they got a median less than Chemistry, however they still get a C+ because it is the middle 50% of the state

LFTM:

--- Quote from: _avO on October 16, 2010, 10:10:47 am ---Yes it does represent the mark you got, but firstly the VCAA must determine everyone's marks and put it on this distribution, and thus allocates a letter grade to each range of marks

For example a C+ for Accounting requires 89-110 out of 180 which is 49%-61% on the exam but
                 a C+ for Chemistry requires 84-98 out of 150 which is 56%-65% on the exam.

This is due to the level of difficulty in Accounting which overall, students found harder then that of Chemistry and hence they got a median less than Chemistry, however they still get a C+ because it is the middle 50% of the state

--- End quote ---

Are those grades you used from the midyear exams?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version