Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:55 pm

Author Topic: Part-time job during ATAR  (Read 2941 times)

jack.joy03

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Part-time job during ATAR
« on: October 15, 2021, 01:35:47 am »
Hi guys,

What are your opinions/advice on having a part-time job during Years 11 & 12? Is it highly discouraged because it can take time off your studies and consequently affect your grades?
I am doing the 'suicide six' ATAR subjects next year, so should I have a part-time job?
Please help me out.

Thank you.

VCEStudent2034

• Trendsetter
  • ‘Believe you can and you’re halfway there.’ - T.R.
  • Respect: +1
Re: Part-time job during ATAR
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:07:56 am »
Hi guys,

What are your opinions/advice on having a part-time job during Years 11 & 12? Is it highly discouraged because it can take time off your studies and consequently affect your grades?
I am doing the 'suicide six' ATAR subjects next year, so should I have a part-time job?
Please help me out.

Thank you.

Hi jack.joy03!

I commend you on your efforts - I am also doing the ‘suicide six’ subjects and am in year 11. I do not recommend having a part-time during year 11 and 12 at all. If you are doing those subjects you’ve definitely got some brains and potential to do extremely well. So don’t jeopardise that by spending extra time outside of school. I do not have a part-time job and do not plan to have one until I finish school. I honestly think the hype around having one is too much and you can most definitely start working while in uni (which is more flexible) once your critical years are over.

These are just my suggestions as I am in the same boat as you.

Hope it helped.

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:13 am »
+7
Hey there!
There are obviously both advantages and disadvantages to having a part time job during VCE. It's important to consider a number of factors including how many shifts you will be getting a week, the flexibility of the job and the number of other extracurriculars you are dedicating your time to.

If you are not doing too much outside of study, a job can provide a mental break from year 12 as well as build skills you can take with you after high school. At the end of the day, if you are working less than 10 hours a week this shouldn't have a major impact on your study. Especially if you manage your time well and the workplace is flexible (happy to give you time off before exams to study, easy to swap shifts with people prior to SACs, etc). Personally, I worked about three shifts a fortnight during VCE and found that this was a good balance for me, but I know other people who decided to wait until after year 12 to get a job.

Really, it just depends on your own situation and finding something that works best for you. However, I do want to stress that having a job does not necessarily mean that your grades will drop. It's impossible to study 24/7 anyway and having a job can provide you with a routine and structure that actually decreases procrastination. There's also no harm in getting a job in yr 11 but realising that it doesn't work well for you and deciding to drop it in yr 12.
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

VCEStudent2034

• Trendsetter
  • ‘Believe you can and you’re halfway there.’ - T.R.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:16:38 am »
Hey there!
There are obviously both advantages and disadvantages to having a part time job during VCE. It's important to consider a number of factors including how many shifts you will be getting a week, the flexibility of the job and the number of other extracurriculars you are dedicating your time to.

If you are not doing too much outside of study, a job can provide a mental break from year 12 as well as build skills you can take with you after high school. At the end of the day, if you are working less than 10 hours a week this shouldn't have a major impact on your study. Especially if you manage your time well and the workplace is flexible (happy to give you time off before exams to study, easy to swap shifts with people prior to SACs, etc). Personally, I worked about three shifts a fortnight during VCE and found that this was a good balance for me, but I know other people who decided to wait until after year 12 to get a job.

Really, it just depends on your own situation and finding something that works best for you. However, I do want to stress that having a job does not necessarily mean that your grades will drop. It's impossible to study 24/7 anyway and having a job can provide you with a routine and structure that actually decreases procrastination. There's also no harm in getting a job in yr 11 but realising that it doesn't work well for you and deciding to drop it in yr 12.
Yeah, that’s some good advice. I am just speaking based on personal experiences, because it’s not just the number of hours you work that you need to take into consideration - it’s also the time it takes to get ready and travel there and back. In saying that though, it does provide you with a mental break from studies. But, ultimately, it is up to you whether you decide to take it up. Only you know what’s really best for you and how to work around it without letting it affect your studies too much.

Cheers