Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:02:24 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750328 times)  Share 

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2730 on: July 05, 2022, 02:20:41 pm »
+1
Graphs and relations question:
In the exam does it matter if you don't use the formula (y-y1)=m(x-x1)?
As I would prefer to work with y=mx+c but don't want to be losing marks if the other is necessary for the exam working out.
Thanks  :)

I never had to use the first form. FM exams always ask questions in the gradient intercept form ie the y = mx + c one since they want you to interpret m and c in the context of the question
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2731 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:28 pm »
G'day,

I am a tutor in Further Mathematics, but have a question for fellow experts and students.

The picture attached is of a question my student attempted. The content is on chapter 3 of cambridge, so is on least squares regression. A few issues:

- The original data has a massive outlier, so shouldn't even be subject to least squares regression per the assumptions

- The picture is of the residual plot, which to me has no real observable pattern given the outlier, however perhaps the definition of "pattern" is not so clear cut? I imagine the pattern being non-linear or curved or some such, so how do we distinguish between pattern and non pattern?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone more zen than I can help me understand why we'd approach this question despite the outlier being present!

Cheers

hi! this is quite a late reply haha but i think that's what they're actually asking for in terms of why a regression analysis is not appropriate for the data. like you said there's a very clear outlier, and also there seems to be a decreasing pattern and somewhat linearity in the rest of the residual plot. ofc a pattern in the residual plot indicates the data is non-linear and hence further supports why linear regression is not suitable for the data. i feel like you just have to go with the information they've provided and then use your observations to answer part g