Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:06:18 am

Author Topic: ✨ J_Rho's University Journey Journal ✨  (Read 5010 times)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
✨ J_Rho's University Journey Journal ✨
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:37:07 pm »
+14
✨ J_Rho's University Journey Journal ✨

I'm going to preface this by saying, I'm still just as ambitious as I was in Year 12.

What has been going on in my life since my 2020:
1. Deferred Nursing
2. Used up all my savings on uni accomodation
3. Worked in the CBD for a few months
4. Moved back to the country after FINALLY being able to end my lease early with MRS
5. Ended up on a cocktail of meds for my mental health
6. Got a nicotine addiction
7. Started work as a traffic controller
8. Ended up in hospital 4 times before they finally agreed to put me in a psych ward (for all of 4 days)
9. Finally & 'officially' came out as bi
10. Got a diagnosis list as big as an dictionary
11. Decided to do not one ft degree but TWO (idk why I think this is a good idea)
12. The engine of my 2008 Toyota (with not even 250k kms on the clock) went and broke for no good reason
13. Oh and my back is still fked from the car accident a year and a bit ago and no one knows what to do about it

I'm going into Week 2 of my B/Counselling&Psych (which is a mostly online degree), and I start my B/Nursing in two weeks (28th Feb)...I'm still not sure if I want to do Nursing right though or if I want to transfer to my dream course (Paramedicine) but we will get to that bridge when we get to it.

ACAP Counselling & Psych - Week 2
My enrolment didn't go through until halfway through Week 1 so I had a fair bit of catching up to do BUT not only did I catch up on the lectures I also submitted my first assignment for Psych with 7 days still on the clock...which is a first for me but I'm hoping I can keep up and continue submitting assignments early!
This degree will probably work really well with nursing as there is only 3 zoom classes I have to attend per week (the rest are pre-recorded) and they are 6pm or 8pm classes where as my nursing timetable is...uhhh fked.

Monash: Nursing
Look, this years timetable choices sucked. The best possible option was to fit my classes into 4 days, the worse option was 5 days a week...so I'm a bit annoyed at that because with no car and it being on campus (AN HOUR AND A HALF FROM WHERE I LIVE) I'm going to have to put up with 6 hours on public transport 4 days a week!
RIP my life and my ability to work and make $$ is limited asf (but its fine I'm in the process of self-publishing a book so I'm hoping that goes well)

Anyways, I don't have much else news so questions are welcome and I'm keen to share my journey with you guys once again!

lots of love you favourite chaotic wannabe over-achiever
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:42:53 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
Re: ✨ J_Rho's University Journey Journal ✨
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:35:38 pm »
+1
Hi J_Rho!

I really like your intro.
9. Finally & 'officially' came out as bi
We stan for the lgbt gang.

11. Decided to do not one ft degree but TWO (idk why I think this is a good idea)
If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to do a double degree?

beep boop
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:43:33 pm »
+1
Hi J_Rho,

I’m looking forward to reading your journal. Good luck with uni!

(but its fine I'm in the process of self-publishing a book so I'm hoping that goes well)

This sounds interesting - what kind of book is it?
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 07:13:52 pm »
+4
If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to do a double degree?

Hey beep boop!

Slight warning for my lack of commas and fullstops.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue nursing so when I stumbled across ACAP and saw they did double degrees in Counselling and Psych I was like cool that covers off the first 3 years of psych so if ever down the line I want to become a Psychologist theres slightly less study to do! I live in a super regional area and there are NO psychs that are accepting new patients (and its been like this for 4ish years, probably longer but that was when I first learnt about it) so I'd really like to go down that path in the future (even tho paramed is my DREAM and possibly even more so when I encountered a paramedic that told me to my face that i was were lying because they thought they wouldnt remember it because they were drugged up - and obviously I do remember it so I really dont want others to have the same experience). I love helping others and the rate of mental illness and unaliving in regional areas is insane so I know I'd like to contribute to my community and the MH epidemic in regional Vic. Turns out I still havent made up my mind about nursing so I'm just going ahead with it 😂

I’m looking forward to reading your journal. Good luck with uni!
Thanks! I hope i havent shot myself in the foot with my workload

This sounds interesting - what kind of book is it?
Its a journal, kinda similar to the '5 Minute Journal' with day and night entries but also has a 'sunday reset' page with some slightly different journal prompts and also a 'difficult' question like for example 'write a letter or give advice to your 10 year old self' or 'what would you do if you could not fail? Can you still do this?' even though theres the risk of failure

so that kinda thing, im just struggling to figure out how to go about getting them made
— VCE —

— University —

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 10:23:08 pm »
Its a journal, kinda similar to the '5 Minute Journal' with day and night entries but also has a 'sunday reset' page with some slightly different journal prompts and also a 'difficult' question like for example 'write a letter or give advice to your 10 year old self' or 'what would you do if you could not fail? Can you still do this?' even though theres the risk of failure

so that kinda thing, im just struggling to figure out how to go about getting them made

Sounds good, I hope it goes well!
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:39 pm »
+4
Its only week two and I am tearing my hair out I really dont know if nursing is what I want to do, or if I just hate it because its the basic stuff atm or if its the 1.5hr commute  :o
— VCE —

— University —

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 08:58:35 pm »
Its only week two and I am tearing my hair out I really dont know if nursing is what I want to do, or if I just hate it because its the basic stuff atm or if its the 1.5hr commute  :o

Is nursing in Clayton campus?
2021 VCE- English, Math Method, Further Math,Accounting and Economics

2022-2026 Bachelors in Business (Taxation) and Accounting in Monash

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 08:58:48 am »
+1
Hey, all courses will start with the basic stuff first it is just the logistic of first year.
I would recommend reaching out to any second years (maybe through a club?) to see their experience of nursing maybe things will get more interesting once you get into clinic and placement?
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 10:03:07 am »
+2

Yeah, tbh I felt completely let down at the start of the degree, I just wanted to get LEARNING and was chafing at the bit with the first few weeks' content.  I've really enjoyed the clinical units (NUR1112, 1114, and now 2226 in 2nd year) but have consistently hated the supporting ones (NUR1110, NUR1111, 1113, 2223) - I swear that I could combine all the relevant info into one actually-valuable unit and cut all the rest.  Anyway, 1112 improved at about the 5-week mark, and especially as we got into cardiovascular anatomy/physiology/nursing assessment in week 8.

But doing two degrees at once, and so many days a week of travelling, would be way too much for me.  I wish you all the best with it!

Please feel free to ask me any questions!!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 08:47:03 am »
+4
Is nursing in Clayton campus?
Nah, at Peninsula

Hey, all courses will start with the basic stuff first it is just the logistic of first year.
I would recommend reaching out to any second years (maybe through a club?) to see their experience of nursing maybe things will get more interesting once you get into clinic and placement?
Yeah, Ive heard the first year is the worst especially the first sememser when its all the basic stuff - ive spoken to so others and apparently it gets better so I just gotta knuckle down and get through the basic stuff

Yeah, tbh I felt completely let down at the start of the degree, I just wanted to get LEARNING and was chafing at the bit with the first few weeks' content.  I've really enjoyed the clinical units (NUR1112, 1114, and now 2226 in 2nd year) but have consistently hated the supporting ones (NUR1110, NUR1111, 1113, 2223) - I swear that I could combine all the relevant info into one actually-valuable unit and cut all the rest.  Anyway, 1112 improved at about the 5-week mark, and especially as we got into cardiovascular anatomy/physiology/nursing assessment in week 8.

But doing two degrees at once, and so many days a week of travelling, would be way too much for me.  I wish you all the best with it!

Please feel free to ask me any questions!!
Hey Heids!
1112 is good but the others i swear are basically common sense! Its so nice to hear that it improves towards the end of semester
Its not too bad given one of my degrees is online so I only have to travel to Frankston 3 times a week :)

I'm getting pretty overwhelmed because I've missed last weeks classes because the booster shot landed me in hospital  :o

So I feel like I've got so much catching up to do on the weekend all the while also visiting a wedding venue in Yarra Valley. Its really going to be a Year 12 vibe of studying ALL day Sunday tbch, but I'm not mad about it - studying is kinda fun when you handwrite notes plus the SATISFACTION from finishing assignments 8)

For my queer fam - does anyone else understand the weird feeling of not feeling queer enough because you're in a heterosexual relationship?

Anyways, I'm off to uni soon - I hope everyone has a groovy almost Friday

— VCE —

— University —

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 02:47:27 pm »
+1
Hey Heids!
1112 is good but the others i swear are basically common sense! Its so nice to hear that it improves towards the end of semester
Its not too bad given one of my degrees is online so I only have to travel to Frankston 3 times a week :)

Yeah I'm sorry, I really can't give you hope on the 'supporting' units (themes A&B in the handbook, 60 credit points).  They're just straight up terrible, and I'd do anything to be able to become a nurse without having to complete them all.  So much common sense content, with such dry boring delivery, such horrible assignments, and such complete lack of realism (yes, you have to cut corners in real life).  Everyone always says "oh degrees shouldn't just teach clinical content, they need to teach all the soft skills and give a more holistic view!" but like... yes I agree, but this way of putting it in the curriculum seems entirely unsuccessful.

ANYWAY.  The 'clinical' units (themes C&D in the handbook, 84 credit points) do seem good so far.  I have a giant bone to pick with 2226 (no recorded lectures or printable content), but I'm really, really loving the content.  Cumulatively, I really did learn more than I realised during 1st year, and it's pretty exciting watching all the pieces coming together in 2nd year.

I realise I'm repeating myself, but this is my current #1 hobby horse lol.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 02:59:06 pm »
For my queer fam - does anyone else understand the weird feeling of not feeling queer enough because you're in a heterosexual relationship?
I've never been a relationship so I wouldn't know lol. All I can say is no matter what relationship you're in, identity is really from within ig.
Anyways, I'm off to uni soon - I hope everyone has a groovy almost Friday
This week won't go fast enough.  >:(

beep boop
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 11:34:39 am »
+7
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.

After a brief hiatus filled with uni stress, finding a new job and FINALLY getting approved for a rental, I will hopefully post more!

Uni Update
Because I was living an hour and a half drive from uni, I was finding it hard to keep up with NUR1112 so I've dropped that unit and am focussing on all the other units which I think will be nice as I can focus solely on 1112 next year as well as now living on a train line (or alt a 40 min drive) so that should make it SO much easier!

Work Update
Now doing disability support which is pretty fun - its definitely weird adjusting from a full time job back to a fit it around uni job
Traffic didnt pay as well as disability but I miss it, cause it would have had to have been one of my most enjoyable jobs I've had so far
But on the plus side its a cruiiiiissyyy 30 min drive to work which I much prefer!

Living Situation
Finally no more crashing at my partners parents house! After 8 months of applying for rentals with no luck we finally got approved for a 1 bedroom house in Pakky which makes the drive to work for both of us so so so much better
Only downside is the house holds fk all heat so the heater has been on heaaaaps so its a dash to the loo at 3am cause its freezing

Other Shizzle
Since I got my 3rd jab and ended up with tachycardia and chest pain (from muscle inflammation around the heart) from it, I have been sick so so often! Like the first 2 months after I was sick for like 2 weeks had like a week of not sick and then BOOM sick again? which is bizzare cause I never used to get sick very often and those were also the 2 months I wasnt working so where tf was i getting sick from??
Might be TMI but i dont think it is
Anywho ive been not sick since my partners cold sore apparently gave me oral herpes (HSV-1 so it isnt an std so idk where i got it) which i didnt think was possible? ALSO oral hsv sucks! i lost 10kgs cause i couldnt eat or drink or even talk :((
But then again I share drinks and vapes with my friends so could have been that..... MED STUDENTS EXPLAIN PLS
BUTTTTTT i got home from work yesterday and had that feeling of having to sleep to fight off being sick and again today SO HOPEFULLY IM NOT GETTING SICK AGAIN OR IMMA LOSE MY SHIZZLE cause I have ambulance debt and my car needs to be fixed so i cant afford to get sick againsssss

<3
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:41:27 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —