Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:51 am

Author Topic: Commerce/Law @ Melbourne Uni?  (Read 7320 times)  Share 

ajs13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Commerce/Law @ Melbourne Uni?
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:53 pm »
Just wondering, with commerce/law at melbourne uni, do you need to do really well in commerce to get into the JD, because this is what I've heard in the forums, online etc.

However, course search says this:

No minimum weighted average mark (WAM) is required in the Bachelor of Commerce to progress to the Juris Doctor and applicants are not required to sit the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Commerce will automatically progress to the Juris Doctor.

Does this mean that you actually get into the JD automatically when you get the required atar for comm/law?
Also, I've heard the fees are quite expensive. How does it stack financially to monash's comm/law double degree?

thanks

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Commerce/Law @ Melbourne Uni?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:09:54 pm »
Just wondering, with commerce/law at melbourne uni, do you need to do really well in commerce to get into the JD, because this is what I've heard in the forums, online etc.

However, course search says this:

No minimum weighted average mark (WAM) is required in the Bachelor of Commerce to progress to the Juris Doctor and applicants are not required to sit the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Commerce will automatically progress to the Juris Doctor.

Does this mean that you actually get into the JD automatically when you get the required atar for comm/law?
Also, I've heard the fees are quite expensive. How does it stack financially to monash's comm/law double degree?

thanks
can you link the official site in which you got that bolded info. Seems a little suspicious to be the rules for general entry; hypothetically that someone could "scrape" into commerce then just pass all units with 50's and be allowed into a JD.

Also there aren't double degrees at the University of Melbourne  so"comm/law" doesn't really exist at UoM. The pathway from a undergraduate in commerce to a JD is what exists.

The exceptions are if you got a 99.90+ atar then you obtain a place in JD as long as you complete your undergrad at UoM or if you got a 99.80 - 99.85 ATAR where you can go into certain undergrad/graduate packages e.g. Commerce and JD. Also 99.00+ ATAR you can get a FFP place as long as you complete a UoM undergrad with a 75+ WAM.

General entry is essentially UoM taking your WAM which should hopefully be at least 75-80+ from anecdotal evidence and also your score from the LSAT.

Not too sure on the fees, I would think they are similar but haven't really looked into that.

ajs13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: Commerce/Law @ Melbourne Uni?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:57:16 pm »
can you link the official site in which you got that bolded info. Seems a little suspicious to be the rules for general entry; hypothetically that someone could "scrape" into commerce then just pass all units with 50's and be allowed into a JD.

Also there aren't double degrees at the University of Melbourne  so"comm/law" doesn't really exist at UoM. The pathway from a undergraduate in commerce to a JD is what exists.

The exceptions are if you got a 99.90+ atar then you obtain a place in JD as long as you complete your undergrad at UoM or if you got a 99.80 - 99.85 ATAR where you can go into certain undergrad/graduate packages e.g. Commerce and JD. Also 99.00+ ATAR you can get a FFP place as long as you complete a UoM undergrad with a 75+ WAM.

General entry is essentially UoM taking your WAM which should hopefully be at least 75-80+ from anecdotal evidence and also your score from the LSAT.

Not too sure on the fees, I would think they are similar but haven't really looked into that.

thanks for that.
I got that from https://delta.vtac.edu.au/CourseSearch/searchguide.htm#course

It does say that you need an ATAR of 99.80. So, if you get this, then you get into law automatically after doing commerce right?
Thanks