Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:56:24 am

Author Topic: Why do you support a certain club?  (Read 4874 times)  Share 

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
Why do you support a certain club?
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »
+1
Can pretty much be in any team sport-AFL, European football, Basketball etc? It doesn't even have to be a top league sports team, people often have more interesting stories for supporting these type of clubs (eg. so Championships instead of EPL in European football).

I just enjoy reading and listening to people's stories and criteria for choosing to follow a certain club. I also find supporters' bases interesting as many people form communities and identities from these things whilst influencing the club's character.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Why do you support a certain club?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »
Melbourne in the AFL.

Was born into it - had no choice. Honestly though, I think it's impacted my personality to a degree. I feel like I'm more self-deprecating and cynical as a result.

Hope this will be an interesting thread!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:47:38 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:13:33 pm »
Liverpool Fc, favourite soccer team, started to follow them when I was like 8 or 9 just because of the slogan "You will never walk alone", its just such a powerful, inspiring, emotional and touching quote.

Liverpool's just a big part of me, was reallly broken after an unfortunate champions league final loss to Real Madrid, it wouldve been a really good game if Salah didnt get injured, and unluck from our goalkeeper. But with our new recruits - Alisson,Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri, I truly believe we can be title contenders, fingers crossed.
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:41:27 pm »
Liverpool Fc, favourite soccer team, started to follow them when I was like 8 or 9 just because of the slogan "You will never walk alone", its just such a powerful, inspiring, emotional and touching quote.

Liverpool's just a big part of me, was reallly broken after an unfortunate champions league final loss to Real Madrid, it wouldve been a really good game if Salah didnt get injured, and unluck from our goalkeeper. But with our new recruits - Alisson,Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri, I truly believe we can be title contenders, fingers crossed.

Liverpool fan here as well, I been a Liverpudlian since I was 7 because dad supported them. While I wasn't forced to watch football or support them (my dad would have prefered me to support ManU), they were doing really well at the time so I went along. It was only when I was older that I came to appreciate the history, culture and fan base. I love the working class roots and down-to-earth culture of the club ass well as how they have a lot of pride in locally-developed players that were born in the city. YNWA really epitomises the spirit of the supporter base, and even when the club wasn't in the Champions League, they were still so passionate. The players talk about the club in such a special way that is rare in other clubs, I like how they not only talk about the history or trophies, but the culture, city, fans and club identity. I hope to experience an Anfield European night first hand.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb