Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:12 pm

Author Topic: Unit 3 in a Nutshell  (Read 20716 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Unit 3 in a Nutshell
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 05:41:47 pm »
Thanks for the amazing resource add K.Smithy!

I have tiny bits and pieces of feedback (e.g. having photosynthesis as a requirement of an autotroph to be a good pioneer is a little odd) but certainly nothing huge or jarring. I'll get that back to you when I can

Love your work :D

Love these analogies! Thanks for the contribution ;D ;D
You're memorisation techniques are definitely much more creative than mine! My friend had quite a funny one (well, we thought so anyway) of remembering allopatric speciation. We picture Patrick Star standing really far away, while we call out "Hallo Patrick!". It just reminds us that there is geographic isolation. Idk, it is kind of stupid, but we remember it ;D

For the human evolution topic my teacher taught us to picture someone giving a guy a magnum to remember "foramen magnum"

I've never heard the allopatric speciation one before.

Also, for the "Bottleneck Effect" I would recommend using the analogy of baking a cake. When you put flour in a sifter (change in population due to immigration, emmigration, death or other factors), you get less flour than what you started (original population) with. Hence, you can make the cake but it may not taste the same (genetic variation/diversity) due to how the amount of flour (population) was used in the recipe.

Hopefully, that helps :)

If anyone can help me improve my second analogy (the one about baking) - I would really appreciate it as while it worked for me, it may not make sense to everyone.

Anyway, have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon :)

I've seen the analogy of a sieve used for bottlenecks in research papers and in my 3rd year evolutionary ecology lectures - I definitely think it makes sense! :)