Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:59:18 am

Author Topic: Deferring a Course  (Read 2658 times)  Share 

failingenglish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Deferring a Course
« on: January 14, 2022, 01:50:13 pm »
Hi,
I am looking to do medicine at Monash but sadly I didn't get an offer this year :(
My UCAT was quite low however I got a 99.80 atar and was quite happy with my interview. I also recieved an offer to do med at JCU but am not super keen on moving to Townsville. I would like to take a gap year to retake the UCAT and defer the JCU course for a year in order to have a safety net in case I do badly in the UCAT again. I guess my main question is: If i defer the JCU course I have to accept the place, but if I accept & defer the place will I lose my atar score and be unable to reapply to monash at the end of the year? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

vehura

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +33
Re: Deferring a Course
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 03:12:44 pm »
+1
Hi!

According to this MSO thread, you should be fine to defer JCU med and still be eligible to apply for Monash - Monash will not lose your ATAR score. Someone said they have seen Monash specifically having ATARs ‘expire’ after 2 years, but since your gap year is just one year I don’t think there will be any problem. The only thing you have to consider is whether you will personally find the gap year beneficial - obviously, a good UCAT score is not ‘guaranteed’ and it would be a better idea to find something else to do such as work or volunteer if you were to do a gap year. It’s really up to you!

The only thing to consider from what it looks like is actually deferring - this thread was written in 2011 so it may be different now, but you might actually have to write to JCU explaining your reasons for deferral. They may have policies surrounding deferral that would mean you might have to contact the uni directly to clarify

I hope this was somewhat helpful!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:15:40 pm by vehura »
class of 2021
2020: psych (50)
2021: eng (50) lit (47)

failingenglish

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Deferring a Course
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:56:44 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!! I was successful in my defferal of the JCU position and will now spend the year studying and working to make some money in case I need to move interstate :)