Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:14 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129650 times)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 07:57:00 am »
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how many related test you recommend learning for AOS?

I'm thinking of: John Keats' On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer. Peter Weir's: Dead Poet's Society and William Golding's: Lord Of The Flies.

Thanks so much,

Mary

Mary,
If you're doing Romanticism for Ext 1, I would highly recommend Keats AND NOT WEIR. This way, you can use Keats as an ORT in both Extension 1 and Advanced. I have been told by many Ext 1 Markers that Dead Poets is a big no no as an ORT for extension, mainly as it is written outside of the period. A fantastic text, one of my favourite movies, but perhaps not the best for the HSC
I always tried to look for where my ORTs could overlap. Keep in mind that your discovery ORT could also work as your Module C text
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:09 pm »
+1
Mary,
If you're doing Romanticism for Ext 1, I would highly recommend Keats AND NOT WEIR. This way, you can use Keats as an ORT in both Extension 1 and Advanced. I have been told by many Ext 1 Markers that Dead Poets is a big no no as an ORT for extension, mainly as it is written outside of the period. A fantastic text, one of my favourite movies, but perhaps not the best for the HSC
I always tried to look for where my ORTs could overlap. Keep in mind that your discovery ORT could also work as your Module C text

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it! I didn't think to use related texts as overlapping with modules and different courses-how efficient!

Thanks again,

Mary
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

kaseyv

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »
Would Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carrol be a good related text for The Tempest?
There are some pretty deep themes and motifs that are similar to The Tempest, e.g. emotional discovery, self discovery, imagined discovery, discovery of new worlds etc
I've completed an essay on it already and received a pretty good mark, but I was just wondering how it would be perceived by HSC markers.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 09:02:36 am »
Would Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carrol be a good related text for The Tempest?
There are some pretty deep themes and motifs that are similar to The Tempest, e.g. emotional discovery, self discovery, imagined discovery, discovery of new worlds etc
I've completed an essay on it already and received a pretty good mark, but I was just wondering how it would be perceived by HSC markers.

That's great! Congratulations on your wonderful mark :)

I cannot see any reason that a marker would have prejudice against this text (conscious or subconscious). Lewis Carrol is well received, and perhaps this is his most famous work! I think if you chose the animated film adaption, some people would suggest to avoid that (although, I personally don't like to speak as though I know what markers do/don't like if I haven't heard an actual marker say it directly!), there are lots of perspectives people have on that. But, you're making a safe bet with the original text, and I'd certainly be excited to see the way you've fused the two texts together - both such significant texts, from completely different times, who would have thought? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:39 am »
Hey guys, any suggestions for a related text that has a focus on the environment, namely the impact of human carelessness in preserving it?
Ideally I would link it to Robert Gray's poems Flames and Dangling Wire as well as The Meatworks.

Also, if analysing 2 poems and 1 ORT, would it be acceptable to analyse the two poems in one body paragraph and the related + 1 poem in another, or would the ORT need to be analysed in both paragraphs? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:42:37 am by Thebarman »
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:11 pm »
I was considering using Hamilton as a related text for the Motorcycle Diaries, only a particular selection of sequential songs: We Know, Hurricane, The Reynolds Pamphlet. Could anyone familiar with Hamilton advise whether it's better to analyse them as parts of a play or songs? Because I was just thinking analysing them as songs would really be analysing the Broadway album, rather than the actual words and lines...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
+1
Hey guys, any suggestions for a related text that has a focus on the environment, namely the impact of human carelessness in preserving it?
Ideally I would link it to Robert Gray's poems Flames and Dangling Wire as well as The Meatworks.

Also, if analysing 2 poems and 1 ORT, would it be acceptable to analyse the two poems in one body paragraph and the related + 1 poem in another, or would the ORT need to be analysed in both paragraphs? Thanks!

Hey barman! Unfortunately I can't recommend a related text for you, but with regard to your second question, it would make the most sense to do one of these:

- If 2 paragraphs, do the two poems in one and the ORT in the other
- If 3 paragraphs, do poem, poem and ORT

Your other option is to discuss both poems and your ORT in every paragraph, grouping instead by themes! That's an integrated response ;D ultimately it is your preference!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
+1

Hey! When you talk about the environment, Seamus Heaney's poetry comes to mind. His poems, from what I've studied, are more about him drawing inspiration from the environment (Digging and Personal Helicon spring to mind). Perhaps you could twist these to work in your favour? Potentially he has other poems about the destroying of the environment...I'm not sure!
A short story came up on my Facebook once but I didn't read it, but it was about the environment being destroyed. It was called The Toxic Donut. It might be worth tracking down :)

annieeeee

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:20 am »
Hi,
I was wondering if The Outsiders was a good related text for The Motorcycle Diaries. I've read sources online and say that there is a self - discovery, but it seems that its the only discovery within the novel... Would it be a good related text?
Thanks!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »
Hey barman! Unfortunately I can't recommend a related text for you, but with regard to your second question, it would make the most sense to do one of these:

- If 2 paragraphs, do the two poems in one and the ORT in the other
- If 3 paragraphs, do poem, poem and ORT

Your other option is to discuss both poems and your ORT in every paragraph, grouping instead by themes! That's an integrated response ;D ultimately it is your preference!
Thanks for the ideas! I'm more inclined to write 2 paragraphs, so I think I'll go for the 2 poems + ORT structure. In that case, I would compare the ORT to one of the poems from the first paragraph, right?

Hey! When you talk about the environment, Seamus Heaney's poetry comes to mind. His poems, from what I've studied, are more about him drawing inspiration from the environment (Digging and Personal Helicon spring to mind). Perhaps you could twist these to work in your favour? Potentially he has other poems about the destroying of the environment...I'm not sure!
A short story came up on my Facebook once but I didn't read it, but it was about the environment being destroyed. It was called The Toxic Donut. It might be worth tracking down :)
Ahh, I remember his poems. I briefly looked at Digging and another one at the start of prelim standard before moving to advance. I'll dig them up again (pardon the pun) and review them.
Oddly enough, I can find study material for the Toxic Donut, but not the story itself. I'll look further into that one after the half yearlies.

I think I found a related text that goes with my original thought. Tim Winton's Time and Tide. I'll compare it to Elyse's ideas and decide which one works best in my favour. Thanks for the help!
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »
+1
Thanks for the ideas! I'm more inclined to write 2 paragraphs, so I think I'll go for the 2 poems + ORT structure. In that case, I would compare the ORT to one of the poems from the first paragraph, right?

You could be drawing some links every now and again for sure (if this is a comparative essay, it should be a focus) - But on the whole if you go with the 1 paragraph poems, 1 paragraph ORT structure, the second paragraph should focus primarily on the ORT! :) the comparison isn't SUPER necessary beyond the occasional mention unless you are doing a comparative ;D

issaustin

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:04 am »
Songs related to AOS DIscovery?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:27 am »

Hi Austin,

I haven't yet seen anyone use a song for AOS. The Guardian has written a list of songs about discovery but it isn't HSC-specific. It might give you some ideas though! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 12:48:43 am »
+1

I feel like a lot of The Beatles songs would work :) Maybe one of these?
- Let it Be
- Strawberry Fields Forever
- Because
- I'm only sleeping
- God (okay so this is actually by John Lennon not The Beatles but whatevs - same with 'Imagine')

I'm not 100% sure how much analysis you'd be able to draw out of them, but idk maybe they could work :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

issaustin

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 02:03:25 am »
I feel like a lot of The Beatles songs would work :) Maybe one of these?
- Let it Be
- Strawberry Fields Forever
- Because
- I'm only sleeping
- God (okay so this is actually by John Lennon not The Beatles but whatevs - same with 'Imagine')

I'm not 100% sure how much analysis you'd be able to draw out of them, but idk maybe they could work :)

thanks