Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:53 pm

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129630 times)

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:54 pm »
+2
Thanks for the help :)
If you are still looking for information - I would definitely recommend TKAMB for a related text. Heaps of different discoveries on a few different levels, and is quite an easy read.
But do agree with what has already been said - if you are doing a novel for your prescribed, try to contrast it a bit.

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:06 am »
+2
If you are still looking for information - I would definitely recommend TKAMB for a related text. Heaps of different discoveries on a few different levels, and is quite an easy read.
But do agree with what has already been said - if you are doing a novel for your prescribed, try to contrast it a bit.

Hi
Yes my prescribed texts are poems therefore i was planning to do a novel.
I think i have finally decided to do TKAM as my related text as i feel more comfortable relating this book to discovery.
Thanks for the advice :)

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
Hi
Yes my prescribed texts are poems therefore i was planning to do a novel.
I think i have finally decided to do TKAM as my related text as i feel more comfortable relating this book to discovery.
Thanks for the advice :)
Sounds good  ;) There are tons of resources online to help with analysing TKAMB too, and I'm sure there are others on here that will be more than willing to help with any of your questions.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2018, 01:06:34 pm »
Hi...
Does anyone have any particular advice when choosing a short story (as a second AOS related)? I'm finding it hard to pick one as I don't exactly know what I should be looking for... Can the discovery be completely different to the other texts? I've also been looking more at older stories - written in 1900s as the quality of analysis has tended to be a bit better with them...
Any help appreciated... Thanks!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2018, 01:39:33 pm »
+1
Hi...
Does anyone have any particular advice when choosing a short story (as a second AOS related)? I'm finding it hard to pick one as I don't exactly know what I should be looking for... Can the discovery be completely different to the other texts? I've also been looking more at older stories - written in 1900s as the quality of analysis has tended to be a bit better with them...
Any help appreciated... Thanks!
Its good to have a completely different discovery, as this opens up new pathways to argue. I'd recconmend having a look at Tim Wintons work as well. He's a well known australian author who has many short stories that are good for discovery.
Also, what is your perscribed? If it is a story, then you should be looking at text types for a related text other than stories to contrast with your prescribed

Hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2018, 02:42:15 pm »
Its good to have a completely different discovery, as this opens up new pathways to argue. I'd recconmend having a look at Tim Wintons work as well. He's a well known australian author who has many short stories that are good for discovery.
Also, what is your perscribed? If it is a story, then you should be looking at text types for a related text other than stories to contrast with your prescribed

Hope this helps!

Hi...
My teacher changed our mod B prescribed Tim Winton (Cloud Street) to something else because she didn't think our class would like it haha.

Glad you back using a contrasting discovery - that's a lot easier to find.

My prescribed is Robert Gray poetry, so I have a film as my main related, so that's why I am looking for a short story as my 2nd related....

Thanks for all your help!

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2018, 09:07:03 pm »
Hi...
My teacher changed our mod B prescribed Tim Winton (Cloud Street) to something else because she didn't think our class would like it haha.

My prescribed is Robert Gray poetry, so I have a film as my main related, so that's why I am looking for a short story as my 2nd related....

Just wanted to say I'm also doing Robert Gray for the AOS and Tim Winton 'Cloudstreet' for Mod B.  I did not know we needed two related texts for AOS ._.  Have you read Cloudstreet yet? If so what are your thoughts?

From theyam :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:01 pm »
+3
Hi...

Hey Kauac!
Just wanted to give my two cents. For Robert Gray AOS, the ORT I chose was Christopher Koch's The Boys in the Island, a text I read in my prep for Ext 2 Eng. In terms of comparing the texts, I will use the examples of Journey, the North Coast and Late Ferry as these are the two poems I chose for my HSC paper. The Boys in the Island (TBITI) is similar to JTNC as it involves the rediscovery of one's childhood. TBITI is also similar to Late Ferry as both involve a discovery of the importance of withdrawing from the business of city life (in TBITI, the central character travels from the simplicity of his life in Tasmania to the alluring lights of Melbourne, as does Gray in Late Ferry. In both instances, the narrator uncovers the falsity of these lights and realises they are corrupt/detrimental to the human experience.

In regards to contrasts, you can definitely pick texts that have different types of discoveries. I probably need an example from you to see where you would be going but you can definitely link two completely different ideas through the nature of the discoveries. For instance, a text about a lonely child struggling going to school for the first time vs. a text about someone learning they have cancer for the first time - very different plots but linked for example by the fact that they are both confronting discoveries.

Hope that helped! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

melodamn

• Adventurer
  • ;)
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2018, 01:08:17 am »
helloooo everyone!

I made a post i know realise maybe should have been condensed and placed on this thread.
But yeah!!! I'm struggling lots with related text, so if anyone could check out my post "another pls-help-me related text thread" and forward some input?

Thanks tons!!
Mel | 18 | history hoe | 1st in cafs year 11 | cafs dropout

english advanced / visual arts / society and culture / modern history / extension history / sor1 / TVET human services

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »
Hi...

Just wanted to say I'm also doing Robert Gray for the AOS and Tim Winton 'Cloudstreet' for Mod B.  I did not know we needed two related texts for AOS ._.  Have you read Cloudstreet yet? If so what are your thoughts?

From theyam :)
I'm not actually doing Cloud Street anymore  :-\ (I probably worded the last post a bit weirdly, because my mod B prescribed changed from Cloudstreet to an assortment of speeches). I did read the first few chapters before we changed texts, and despite it not being anywhere near the kind of books I read for leisure, I found it quite intriguing... A bit of a dramatic interpretation of Australian bogan life haha!

It's cool that you are doing Robert Gray though... I haven't heard of anyone else studying him this year yet!  ;D

Also, as for the two related AOS texts, they don't always ask for two in the exam essay. It's probably a good idea to have one main related text thoroughly analysed to the most minute details, and a second 'back-up' one that you are reasonably familiar with and could easily insert into the essay. That's just from what I know, so it might be good to ask a teacher/ someone who has already done the HSC...

Hey Kauac!
Just wanted to give my two cents. For Robert Gray AOS, the ORT I chose was Christopher Koch's The Boys in the Island, a text I read in my prep for Ext 2 Eng. In terms of comparing the texts, I will use the examples of Journey, the North Coast and Late Ferry as these are the two poems I chose for my HSC paper. The Boys in the Island (TBITI) is similar to JTNC as it involves the rediscovery of one's childhood. TBITI is also similar to Late Ferry as both involve a discovery of the importance of withdrawing from the business of city life (in TBITI, the central character travels from the simplicity of his life in Tasmania to the alluring lights of Melbourne, as does Gray in Late Ferry. In both instances, the narrator uncovers the falsity of these lights and realises they are corrupt/detrimental to the human experience.

In regards to contrasts, you can definitely pick texts that have different types of discoveries. I probably need an example from you to see where you would be going but you can definitely link two completely different ideas through the nature of the discoveries. For instance, a text about a lonely child struggling going to school for the first time vs. a text about someone learning they have cancer for the first time - very different plots but linked for example by the fact that they are both confronting discoveries.

Hope that helped! :)

Thanks for the examples - they have provided a lot of clarity into knowing what to look for in the text... I'm liking the compare & contrast concept of the discoveries, and I think it will work well for making my final decision for the second related. Thanks so much!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2018, 09:26:08 pm »
hello!
(I'm not sure if this is the right thread ??? so I'm sorry if its not)

I'm doing (well I did lol) The Tempest for AOS and was tossing between these related texts, any help is appreciated. Ty!

* Gwen Harwood "Father and Child Part one: Barn Owl
* A Tropfest short film "Revive"
* Tim Winton " Neighbours"
* this short film I found on FB  https://www.facebook.com/tedtalkvideos/videos/703666509821897/

NOTE: "father and child" and "revive" are already analysed in terms of technique not in terms of discovery YET. the other two however I haven't analysed.

ALSO: my teacher did recommend "Invictus BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY"

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:42:18 pm by Mimi5601 »

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2018, 09:54:19 pm »
hello!
(I'm not sure if this is the right thread ??? so I'm sorry if its not)

I'm doing (well I did lol) The Tempest for AOS and was tossing between these related texts, any help is appreciated. Ty!

* Gwen Harwood "Father and Child Part one: Barn Owl
* A Tropfest short film "Revive"
* Tim Winton " Neighbours"
* this short film I found on FB  https://www.facebook.com/tedtalkvideos/videos/703666509821897/

NOTE: "father and child" and "revive" are already analysed in terms of technique not in terms of discovery YET. the other two however I haven't analysed.

ALSO: my teacher did recommend "Invictus BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY"
I haven't looked at many of those texts (although that facebook video piqued my intrest) but...
I took AGES to find my related text and i finally came across tim wintons work
I would greatly recconmend him! Also check out another one of his stories "Distant Lands" as an alternative

Also, it's about personal preference, what you believe would be the best choice in your heart. If you like them all equally, then you're just going to have to pick one and roll with it!
In any case, Good luck!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2018, 10:04:39 pm »
I haven't looked at many of those texts (although that facebook video piqued my intrest) but...
I took AGES to find my related text and i finally came across tim wintons work
I would greatly recconmend him! Also check out another one of his stories "Distant Lands" as an alternative

Also, it's about personal preference, what you believe would be the best choice in your heart. If you like them all equally, then you're just going to have to pick one and roll with it!
In any case, Good luck!  ;D

Thank you for your reply but I searched for distant lands but I couldn't find it anywhere. There was only an audio book available which is pre annoying :(

I know this is dumb but... even after I do chose 2 texts idk what to do after that. I don't know how to analyse it in terms of discovery. Everyone says look at the rubric but how do I use t rubric.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:10 pm »
+1
Thank you for your reply but I searched for distant lands but I couldn't find it anywhere. There was only an audio book available which is pre annoying :(

I know this is dumb but... even after I do chose 2 texts idk what to do after that. I don't know how to analyse it in terms of discovery. Everyone says look at the rubric but how do I use t rubric.

Hi...

I was wondering about this only a few weeks ago... Thankfully I talked to my teacher, and she introduced me to a simple approach to start analysing and comparing between the prescribed and related texts. They are called TEE tables.

With these, the rubric is broken up into four aspects: process, perspectives, contextualisation and ramifications/transformations. The aim is to try and include an example, technique and effect for a few rubric points for each of the four aspects. Note: You don't need to try and 'force in' random examples from your texts to match EVERY point, as not all of them are going to be relevant for the text. E.g. You don't need a confronting and provocative discovery for Prince Charming finding that Cinderella's foot fits the glass slipper. (Sorry, it was the first thing that popped into my head  ;D).

I've attached a sample table, so feel free to check out the layout! Hope this all makes sense!  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2018, 10:44:48 pm »

Your local library is worth a look! I know Distant Lands works really nicely (one of our English lecturers Elyse praises it highly) so if you can't find something else, worth a quick trip to see ;D