Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:54 pm

Author Topic: Application for Kwong Lee Dow Program  (Read 13385 times)

StressedAlready

Application for Kwong Lee Dow Program
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:21:32 pm »
Hi guys,

Just wondering, is anyone in the KLD program here? And if you are, do any of you guys still have a copy of your successful application? Some of these questions are rather vague and they really don't mention what they are looking for...

LiquidPaperz

Re: Application for Kwong Lee Dow Program
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:17 pm »
hey :) i am a KLD scholar , i found the application quite tedious, you have alot to say but whats important? you need lots of leadership, sport stuff, dont mention academics as the school supplies this - but some sneaky awards won't hurt too much.

The last question if i remember correctly is 500 words about family life or something...?

StressedAlready

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:50:42 pm »
hey :) i am a KLD scholar , i found the application quite tedious, you have alot to say but whats important? you need lots of leadership, sport stuff, dont mention academics as the school supplies this - but some sneaky awards won't hurt too much.

The last question if i remember correctly is 500 words about family life or something...?

Well I am screwed.  :-\

The only non-academic thing I have is seven years of playing the guitar, a music "scholarship" which was pretty much $200 dollars and that's about as far as that got, a stint as SRC where we pretty much spent the entire time talking about what we wanted to do, leadership training program and swimming and coaching.

Would it even be worth including the leadership training program?

How did you set up that second question where they ask for your awards and acknowledgements and blah, blah, blah?

Do you still have a copy of your application???

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:38:28 pm »
Like LiquidPaperz, I am a Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholar. I don't think I can give you my application, StressedAlready, but talk it up like you would a resume. (I'm not lying though, just stating things and their worth in my life. I am not, in any way, endorsing lying here.)

Questions for you:
You've done work experience? Try that.
Leadership skills? Done a public speaking seminar? Tried for so-and-so captain? Write that down.
Volunteer work? Have you ever done charity work? Write that down. Use examples.
Academics? You've gotten a great report or one you're proud of? Write that in.
Music classes outside of school? Guitar, you said? Were you in the school band? Done exams for guitar? Try that. e.g. I played an instrument in my school band in my early years of high school. (I may have only been a very minor part, but I participated - that's my point.)
You said you were in the SRC for a little? State that you were able to be the voice of the students and sacrificed time to give your opinion and assistance. (Reality: During lunch, you would go to meetings and asked how you could contribute.)

The things you want to highlight are your experience and positives.
Keep that in mind and you can't go wrong.
Just don't overdo it or lie straight out... because nobody's going to believe that you climbed Mount Everest overnight using magic.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »
Like LiquidPaperz, I am a Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholar. I don't think I can give you my application, StressedAlready, but talk it up like you would a resume. (I'm not lying though, just stating things and their worth in my life. I am not, in any way, endorsing lying here.)

Questions for you:
You've done work experience? Try that.
Leadership skills? Done a public speaking seminar? Tried for so-and-so captain? Write that down.
Volunteer work? Have you ever done charity work? Write that down. Use examples.
Academics? You've gotten a great report or one you're proud of? Write that in.
Music classes outside of school? Guitar, you said? Were you in the school band? Done exams for guitar? Try that. e.g. I played an instrument in my school band in my early years of high school. (I may have only been a very minor part, but I participated - that's my point.)
You said you were in the SRC for a little? State that you were able to be the voice of the students and sacrificed time to give your opinion and assistance. (Reality: During lunch, you would go to meetings and asked how you could contribute.)

The things you want to highlight are your experience and positives.
Keep that in mind and you can't go wrong.
Just don't overdo it or lie straight out... because nobody's going to believe that you climbed Mount Everest overnight using magic.

exactly what AngelWings said was right. Real humans are reading this and they want something smooth, too the point and perfect place for the scholarship, they don't want you taking them on some sort of fairytale about your leadership achievements.

What i did for my personal story was talk about how my parents came from overseas for a better life for my self, their journey to Australia (very few lines at start, remember this is about you) then talk about how it changed my life, the opportunities. Remember KLD is all about being a humble leader, and you need to show that your not arrogant or anything along those lines when doing your application.

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:46:37 pm »
exactly what AngelWings said was right. Real humans are reading this and they want something smooth, too the point and perfect place for the scholarship, they don't want you taking them on some sort of fairytale about your leadership achievements.

What i did for my personal story was talk about how my parents came from overseas for a better life for my self, their journey to Australia (very few lines at start, remember this is about you) then talk about how it changed my life, the opportunities. Remember KLD is all about being a humble leader, and you need to show that your not arrogant or anything along those lines when doing your application.

Sounds like what I talked about in my application as well. I talked about the struggles we faced and how it positively impacted me as there were so many opportunities available and all the great people I got to meet. Like already said, don't try to show off. Literally it should be a short reflection of your life. No exaggeration or anything.
Also, I got my teacher to check my application which really helped as I was given so much feedback.
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

Splash-Tackle-Flail

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • diagnosed with bangali-fever
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:22 pm »

Are we not allowed to give our applications (as in is there a rule), because I should be able to send mine if its allowed :)
VCE: Done!
2016:  Monash University, Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
Currently offering Methods and Chemistry tutoring for 2016! (Currently full for 2016)
Splash's Life Tips :)
How to be the one who knocks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:42:24 pm »
Are we not allowed to give our applications (as in is there a rule), because I should be able to send mine if its allowed :)

I don't think there is an actual rule, but more of an unsaid one.
To be completely honest, I'd love to help too, but I think, for our own privacy - and a myriad of other reasons, we have decided to leave the applications out of this.
Let's just stick to what we've already got, in case we run into too many issues. (Sorry to disappoint you, Splash-Tackle-Flail.)

For any KLD program applicants out there, don't fret the application. Regardless of whether you make it in or not, you have had the experience. If your school is like mine and nominates a very select board of students, instead of telling everyone to try, you are certainly on the right path for VCE, IB, HSC, SACE or whatever you're doing in your Year 11/12 years. This program does offer opportunities, but it is not the only thing to try for at this point in time. Just apply as well (and honestly) as you can and you will be fine.
Good luck!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:00 pm »
yeah i reckon let the individual come up with there own application, i actually discovered any things that were obsolete to me before